Growing Paines

Rickeyru

I'm a newbie and just purchased a new etrex Legend, however I have been on 6 hunts and have found only one cache and I’m getting a little frustrated. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong but I can get to the area and my GPS signals that I’m there but I can never find the cache. Is it just a matter of practice or am I doing something wrong?

rick

Welcome to the hobby. :(

Limiting your searches to caches that have a low difficulty rating (like 1 or 1.5) might help at first.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the GPSr will not zero you in on the exact hiding spot, especially if you don't have a clear view of the sky. Once your GPSr tells you that you are within 25 - 30 feet, stop looking at the GPSr, and start looking for places where a cache might be hidden. Keeping in mind what you know about the possible size or type of container, ask yourself where you would have hidden the cache.

Read the hint if you get stuck, or look at previous logs to see if previous finders left some hints.

With practice, it gets easier. But on any given day, even an experienced cacher can have trouble finding what should be an easy hide.

Is it just a matter of practice or am I doing something wrong?

rick

Could be either. Is your GPS set to the WGS84 datum? Are you entering the coordinates correctly and in the correct format? If so, it's probably just needing some more experience.

Check your local cache listings, start with 1 or 2 star difficulty, non-micro caches. Stuff like ammo cans and large tupperware type containers. If you still don't have any luck, check for an event in your area, or post in your local forum, asking for someone willing to tag along with you and show you the ropes.

:D I'm pretty new to the hobbie too. I have found, as has been mentioned, that once I'm within 20 feet visual and deduction are the most helpful. However, I have much better luck with the larger more outdoor caches. I do seem to have a problem with most of the urban caches and am beginning to think I need to hook up with an old time urban cacher and do a few to the hang of what I'm looking for.

Several people have pointed out what is a typical newbie mistake - expecting the GPS to take you right to the cache. Your GPS has a margin of error of 10-30 feet under the best conditions and so did the unit of the owner when he placed the cache. Therefore the cache is rarely likely to be right where your GPS says it is. It could be 30, 50 or more feet away. So expand your search area.

Also stay away from micros at first. They can be difficult even for experienced geocachers.