November Statistics

holograph

Maybe there’s a backlog for bulk downloading, but I checked all of our recoveries for November and they’re in the latest datasheets. From the maps it looks like the download didn’t see any of our recoveries (at least not the ones for 11/3). Maybe the backlog is getting the data out of the datasheets so they can be bulk downloaded?

Confirming the observations of Lost02 and Ernmark.......My November entries (which took place in North Carolina and Indiana) have been posted to the database.

Last week, I asked Deb Brown to correct a typo on the Longitude in one of my November submissions, and the correction has been made. Clearly, info is making its way into the system.

-Paul-

Maybe there’s a backlog for bulk downloading, but I checked all of our recoveries for November and they’re in the latest datasheets. From the maps it looks like the download didn’t see any of our recoveries (at least not the ones for 11/3). Maybe the backlog is getting the data out of the datasheets so they can be bulk downloaded?

What were the PIDS? The NGS no longer provides bulk downloads of the monthly updates, so I have a robot that uses the online form for retrieval by load date to find and download all datasheets that have been updated during the month. I'd like to see if your PIDs show up in the individual datasheet retrieval by PID, but don't show up in the retrieval by load date.

re-edit: OK, it looks like the November recoveries that you see in the online retrieval by PID will be caught when I pull the December statistics. It looks like a large part of the November recoveries were loaded sometime after December 1.

Edited by holograph

I just retrieved the updates that were posted from Dec 1 on, and I updated the statistics and maps. We're looking a whole lot better now, with about 1000 recovery reports showing up now that didn't show up using just the November updates. The maps have been updated, also.

Ordinarily I wouldn't combine months (partly because I have to do two NGS downloads) but since the updates were mostly November recovery reports that were posted Dec 1, I decided to make an exception.

If you've looked at the maps recently, you may have to refresh or clear your browser's cache to see the new images.

Thanks again to Holograph for keeping at this project.

Looking at some areas in my part of the world, I notice several counties that have been bumped up, including the following:

NJ: Mercer and Cumberland

NY: Sullivan and Cortland

RI: Newport (I think; it's pretty tiny on the map)

PA: Juniata and Huntington

VA: Henrico (up from 0) and Madison

NC: Granville

WV: Ohio

There may be other jurisdictions where recoveries were reported, but not enough to cross a threshhold in the map color categories.

Congratulations to all of you who volunteered your time to add recoveries to this important NGS database during this period.

-ArtMan-

Thanks again to Holograph for keeping at this project.

Looking at some areas in my part of the world, I notice several counties that have been bumped up, including the following:

NJ: Mercer and Cumberland

NY: Sullivan and Cortland

RI: Newport (I think; it's pretty tiny on the map)

PA: Juniata and Huntington

VA: Henrico (up from 0) and Madison

NC: Granville

WV: Ohio

There was a reason, you know, that Harry Dolphin and Andy Bear drove up to Sullivan County, New York. :D It looked so lonely in white! One find, one possible find (depending on what Deb thinks of a hole in a culvert, where a disk used to be), and three DNFs.

Hmm... Next nearest county with no finds is Putnam or Suffolk. :blink:

The 2006 Benchmark Bulldogs

A salute and "well done" to these submitters of recoveries to NGS during the first eleven months of the year:

AZcachemeister. Started the year with 7. Has submitted 599 during the year, for a total of 606! (That's up from 468 in October.)

Shorbird. Number 2 in submissions during 2006, with 559 YTD, plus 46 in 2005.

Ernmark. Started the year with 32. Now at 435, which is up from 360 in October.

HanSohn. Started the year with 5. Presently has 174.

2/3 Marine. He had 2 submissions as of October, but is on the November list with 114. (He's been finding benchmarks for over a year, but only recently began submitting his recoveries to NGS.)

Gambrinus & Crew. A new NGS submitter in 2006, with a total of 120, so far.

There are others who could be named, as well. It is wonderful to see lots of "new blood" in the hobby.

When the NGS submissions are compared with the hobby database, the numbers show that folks are taking the wise approach of getting some experience and asking questions before sending reports to NGS.

The increasing quantity of reports, and the emphasis on quality, will preserve and enhance the excellent reputation of the GEOCAC symbol in the national database. Meanwhile, professionals have an increasing number of "fresh" reports on which they can rely.

Great job, everyone!

-Paul-

Great job, everyone!

-Paul-

I turned my cousin Hansohn onto Geocaching and Benchmarking when he was visiting here in Alabama a little more than a year ago. He is Rockin' both in Geocaches and Benchmarks. Keep the challenge going Cousin! And 27 is higher than 29.

Edited by maconart

The 2006 Benchmark Bulldogs

A salute and "well done" to these submitters of recoveries to NGS during the first eleven months of the year:

AZcachemeister. Started the year with 7. Has submitted 599 during the year, for a total of 606! (That's up from 468 in October.)

Shorbird. Number 2 in submissions during 2006, with 559 YTD, plus 46 in 2005.

Ernmark. Started the year with 32. Now at 435, which is up from 360 in October.

2/3 Marine. He had 2 submissions as of October, but is on the November list with 114. (He's been finding benchmarks for over a year, but only recently began submitting his recoveries to NGS.)

Gambrinus & Crew. A new NGS submitter in 2006, with a total of 120, so far.

There are others who could be named, as well. It is wonderful to see lots of "new blood" in the hobby.

When the NGS submissions are compared with the hobby database, the numbers show that folks are taking the wise approach of getting some experience and asking questions before sending reports to NGS.

The increasing quantity of reports, and the emphasis on quality, will preserve and enhance the excellent reputation of the GEOCAC symbol in the national database. Meanwhile, professionals have an increasing number of "fresh" reports on which they can rely.

Great job, everyone!

-Paul-

Hey, thanks for the 'props' guys! I'm having a blast.

Last month, I also recovered the Southern Most Benchmark in ALL of the United States: KA LAE LIGHT (TU2077) in Hawaii!

HanSohn

Holograph – On the Individual Statistics page, the initials KRF are mine. Also, I noticed that on the maps, Tom Green County, Texas shows no recoveries. Both of mine were from Tom Green County.

Kent

I've noted your initials and they will start appearing with your name next month. The NGS datasheets for AY0119 and AY0121 are coded as BEXAR county, so that's probably where they are appearing on the map. If the datasheets are incorrectly coded, you can probably get Deb at the NGS to change them. I've never done that, but I know others have. I don't know what information Deb requires.

Thanks.

Kinda grizzly down there, huh?

LOL! You just have to bear with the natives. :-)

-Paul-

In San Antonio, two tourists were leaving the Alamo, after taking the tour. One of them was overheard saying, "It was very impressive, but I don't know why they put it downtown, where there is no parking."

In San Antonio, two tourists were leaving the Alamo, after taking the tour. One of them was overheard saying, "It was very impressive, but I don't know why they put it downtown, where there is no parking."[/i]

Tourist standing on the beach at Waikiki ask the life guard "What’s the elevation around here?". Don't need a surveyor to figure that one out.

Paul, noticed my name mentioned in one of your posts. Started hunting caches, and found hunting benchmarks is WAY more fun. Just found out about submitting finds to NGS a couple months ago. Today is the first time at the benchmark fourm. Very interesting, and already learned a lot.

Hi, Tom:

Welcome! Now that you're here, you should read the forum FREQUENTLY. Otherwise, you might show up one day and find you've been elected to some position or committee. [Grin]

Seriously, we're glad to have you with us, and we're happy you are enjoying the hobby. Keep up the great work!

-Paul-