? @ travel bug etiquette

fineyoungcannibals

Hi - Our family began caching in July, and have a questions about our first travel bug, released in August. We attached a laminated card stating it's goal, which is to please visit each of the 50 states. The first 6 folks were all very nice and helpful and fun - some even took photos! Our kids especially enjoyed checking the log and tracking its progress. We sent a thank you email to each person.

The last person however, has us puzzled. He's placed it in one of his own caches, which is fine - but no one has visited this cache in 6 months. It's been there for two months now, and the kids are disappointed and worried that it's going to sit there for a l-o-n-g time.

What would you recommend we do?

With many thanks,

fineyoungcannibals

Look like he might have dropped some loot in there to try to tempt others to seek his cache (sorta like chumming..) Take it as a compliment to your bug.

Doesn't hurt to drop him a friendly line on behalf of the kids, explaining your family is new to this and this is their first TB etc.....

And next time, try adding to your card that kids are tracking this, and you would like it placed in 2 star or less caches, so it has a better chance of being found.

Hi - Our family began caching in July, and have a questions about our first travel bug, released in August. We attached a laminated card stating it's goal, which is to please visit each of the 50 states. The first 6 folks were all very nice and helpful and fun - some even took photos! Our kids especially enjoyed checking the log and tracking its progress. We sent a thank you email to each person.

The last person however, has us puzzled. He's placed it in one of his own caches, which is fine - but no one has visited this cache in 6 months. It's been there for two months now, and the kids are disappointed and worried that it's going to sit there for a l-o-n-g time.

What would you recommend we do?

With many thanks,

fineyoungcannibals

I agree with the e-mail. I recently had a bug that was in a race and the owner e-mailed me with a request to put it in a more frequently visited cache. I took it to an event and found a cacher that could move it to where it needed to go next. The owner was most pleased.

I'd say do nothing.

who's to say that it won't move tomorrow, and if you bug the person to move it to a new cache, that cache may then not get any visitors for a long time.

I've been to a few caches where there was no visitors for months, then after I visited them many people came within days, so i think traffic is pretty random.

I'd say do nothing.

who's to say that it won't move tomorrow, and if you bug the person to move it to a new cache, that cache may then not get any visitors for a long time.

I've been to a few caches where there was no visitors for months, then after I visited them many people came within days, so i think traffic is pretty random.

REPLY FROM FINEYOUNGCANNIBALS

Thank you to all who replied; we appreciate you taking the time to share with us your expertise and point of view.

Maybe the best thing to do would wait for another month or two, then if it hasn't yet moved, sending an polite request via email to place it in a cache with more frequent visitors.

Good idea about adding to our laminated card that kids are watching this TB - ours have stuck pins in our USA map in the playroom to track its progress, and enjoyed tremendously the photos thoughtful folks have provided of the TB in its new area.

Another teachable moment, yes? One has to wait

I'd say do nothing.

REPLY FROM FINEYOUNGCANNIBALS:

Thank you to all who replied; we appreciate you taking the time to share with us your expertise and point of view.

Maybe the best thing to do would be to wait for another month or two, then if it hasn't moved, send a polite request via email to place it in a cache with more frequent visitors.

Good idea about adding to our laminated card that kids are watching this TB - ours have stuck pins in our USA map in the playroom to track its progress, and enjoyed tremendously the photos thoughtful folks have provided of the TB in its new area.

Another teachable moment, yes? "One has to wait sometimes..." Caching is a fun activity and we've met great people through it.

Again, thanks to each of you for your help! Sincerely, fineyoungcannibals

Edited by fineyoungcannibals

Another option is that you could post a request in the regional forum to see if someone can rescue the TB and migrate it along. Then not only does the cache see some activity, but the TB moves as well. Win-win. That is of course, if anyone there is able to go rescue it. I know if someone requested something in the Canada forum and I was close to it, I'd take a swing at it :blink:

Another option is that you could post a request in the regional forum to see if someone can rescue the TB and migrate it along. Then not only does the cache see some activity, but the TB moves as well. Win-win. That is of course, if anyone there is able to go rescue it. I know if someone requested something in the Canada forum and I was close to it, I'd take a swing at it :P

REPLY FROM FINEYOUNGCANNIBALS

Thank you for sharing your idea. We didn't know there were such things as regional forums!

Our hesitation in doing as you suggest is that the cache into which our travel bug was placed is a 3-stage multi cache rated 2 1/2 stars for difficulty and 3 1/2 stars for terrain. The description says it's located on a ridge covered in thistles, and in reading the comments cachers have found it to be quite a hike, time-consuming, and involving getting through locked gates - ! All of which probably contribute to the lack of visits.

We agree with the first reply to our query, that he's trying to attract some traffic by placing a travel bug in his cache.

What would you suggest, now that you know more about the cache? With thanks, Fineyoungcannibals

(sorta like chumming..)

I'm adding that to the TB dictionary!

My advice to the OP is to wait a couple more months and then send a nice email asking if they could retrieve your bug and move it along.

You also might want to go release a few more so you aren't so disappointed when one stalls. (It'll happen more often than you think)

(sorta like chumming..)

I'm adding that to the TB dictionary!

My advice to the OP is to wait a couple more months and then send a nice email asking if they could retrieve your bug and move it along.

You also might want to go release a few more so you aren't so disappointed when one stalls. (It'll happen more often than you think)

REPLY FROM FINEYOUNGCANNIBALS: Thanks, BlueDeuce, for your advice and your idea - we'll try both. Happy caching, fineyoungcannibals

It appears the multi cache where your bug is located was last visited on Aug 13, 2006, only 3.5 months ago (as of Dec 1 when you initially posted). Your bug was placed on Oct 10, 2006. A bug sitting for 6 weeks in a cache, particularly a 2.5/3.5 rated cache, isn't all that long. Someone logged on Oct 25 they had the 1st 2 stages of the cache and would come back for the final. It's in the San Fran Bay area so it's not like it's way out in the boonies.

Learn some patience. You'll need it if you are watching your TB. They disappear, sit for a while, then move. That's the life of a bug.

Read the logs on this one:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...3b-003bd663682b

It was missing for nearly 3.5 years, then started up again.

I have placed the cache on my watch list.... one of these days, I will try to talk hubby into going to that one. If your TB is still there, I will pick it up. No promises on when I will be able to make it though!

That is very nice of you to offer - thanks! We understand you may or may not be able to get around to it, but still appreciate your offer and the spirit in which it is made. BTW, one of us is a red-headed Leo ;-)

With thanks, fineyoungcannibals