New Caches

pythiaschad

I contacted Groundspeak on possibly setting the way caches are listed so they can be sorted on when they were posted. Basicly you could choose to view based on distance, or newest or something like that. They emailed me and asked me to post a topic on this forum because I guess they want to know if it would be accepted by all you cachers. So, what do you think. This is America, let your voices be heard! :tired:

Sorting by choice will annoy 50% of recepients.

Sorting by distance will annoy the other 50%

User-defined choice == GOOD.

Agreed. I like it by distance. An occasional 'by date' might be fun, but for practical purposes... let the users set a default in their profile or something.

I agree - distance to me is a lot more useful so I'd hate to not have that as an option, at least.

If you go to the "Hide and Seek" page, and select by state, it shows all the caches in your state, sorted by date, newest first.

Personally, for mass sorting and filtering and stuff like that I much prefer to have the caches offline and use a program like GSAK.

I think many missed this post...

It would be nice to be able to search by posted date also. It's nice for getting FTF's. A hidden by date is irrelevant. Because until it is actually posted no one has access to it. It is still in the reviewing process. I've missed opportunities on FTF's because they were hidden 2 weeks previous to actually getting approved. Having a choice of "distance from home coordinates" or "newest POSTED" would be my vote. Thanks

It would be nice to be able to search by posted date also. It's nice for getting FTF's. A hidden by date is irrelevant. Because until it is actually posted no one has access to it. It is still in the reviewing process. I've missed opportunities on FTF's because they were hidden 2 weeks previous to actually getting approved. Having a choice of "distance from home coordinates" or "newest POSTED" would be my vote. Thanks

Have you tried the nice insta-notify feature? Instant Notification configuration starts here!

Have you tried the nice insta-notify feature? Instant Notification configuration starts here!

Yes I've got that setup. But when watching brand new caches for FTFs I've found it handier to look in the "newest in MN" page instead of putting them all in a wachlist. The watchlist doesn't draw the line thru the cache name when there is a maintenance problem.(which happens more often then you think.)

Why are you using the basic watchlist when, as a premium member, you have access to bookmark lists -- a watchlist on steroids? On bookmark lists a disabled cache shows up as such. Although I'm not sure how that relates to FTF's and new caches...

Yeah, I tried to get that point across waaay up there on post #3. Didn't seem to take.

If your looking for FTF opportunities, then dates don't matter (to the extent that recently approved caches are your goal).

Setup a PQ, use your home coord's or zip code as a center point and the only other thing to select is an option (forget exact phrasing) "That haven't been found".

This will give you all caches that don't have any finds logged against them.