Customizing Maps with cGPSmapper.TYP file?

eaparks

I have several questions concerning using the .TYP file to create custom colored roads and trails in ones custom maps using only tracks and waypoints for a Garmin 60CSx. I already use GPSmapEdit and cGPSmapper but have never tried using the .TYP file to change the colors and graphics.

1. How do you open the .TYP file? When I open the cGPSmapper program as soon as I click on anything the opening page disappears. Everything works fine and I don't have any problems when I'm creating custom maps that I upload with Mapsource.

2. Can you still upload multiple custom maps with Mapsource when some of your custom maps are made with the .TYP file and some are not? Is the upload procedure the same as just using cGPSmapper?

3. What addtional steps are involved to customize your trail's color/graphics using the .TYP file?

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

Ed

I have several questions concerning using the .TYP file to create custom colored roads and trails in ones custom maps using only tracks and waypoints for a Garmin 60CSx. I already use GPSmapEdit and cGPSmapper but have never tried using the .TYP file to change the colors and graphics.

1. How do you open the .TYP file? When I open the cGPSmapper program as soon as I click on anything the opening page disappears. Everything works fine and I don't have any problems when I'm creating custom maps that I upload with Mapsource.

2. Can you still upload multiple custom maps with Mapsource when some of your custom maps are made with the .TYP file and some are not? Is the upload procedure the same as just using cGPSmapper?

3. What addtional steps are involved to customize your trail's color/graphics using the .TYP file?

Ed

1) You cannot open a compiled file TYP. You can open only TYP file not compiled (text file. Definition of TYP file)

2) yes and no. If you uses the garmin symbols, when you make your own maps to modifying the aspect of maps with a TYP, that work.

If you creates itself your own symbol (point/polygon/line), not recognized by garmin, your TYP file is necessary, because you will not see your point/polygon/line. For upload TYP file in your GPSr use sendmap20.exe.

3) Make your file TYP definition and after you compile it with CGPSMAPPER.

ex: TYP file not compiled

[_id]

ProductCode=9999

FID=12

[End]

[_line]

Type=0x12

UseOrientation=Y

String1=0x01,test

String2=0x04,test

BorderWidth=1

LineWidth=2

XPM="0 0 4 0",

"1 c #121212"

"2 c #232323"

"3 c #454545"

"4 c #567566"

[end]

Edited by cypherman

Ed

your question #1. there is no need to open a .typ file...the file is created with your typ source file and cGPSMapper...tip...use cyphermans MapSetToolKit http://cypherman1.googlepages.com/home

your question #2. custom maps that you want the typ file to modify have to be uploaded with SendMap20.exe to your GPSr....won't work through Mapsource as Mapsource will only upload your custom map and has no provision to upload your typ file. The only purpose of having your custom map with your typ installed into Mapsource is for viewing your work...much easier than uploading the map and typ with SendMap everytime you want to see what you have created.

your question #3. creating your source typ file and then compiling the typ file is covered starting on page 46 in the latest cGPSMapper manual...I think I gave you a link (in a previous post) to the CustomTypes.zip file that also has the instructions and sample files.

Edited by rws