Software for opening Zipped Pocket Quiries for PC and Pocket PC

L es

I had downloaded EasyGPX to my PC for handling the files on my PC. Recently I have acquired Pocket PC software called "Cachemate" and the EasyGPX program strips caching files information - a lot of the information will not appear on the Pocket PC if EasyGPX has opened the files. The Cachemate program allows all information on a "cache sheet" to be viewed on the Pocket PC if the zipped Pocket quiries are not opened by EasyGPX. So ... I am wondering what others use on their PC, such that is doesn't interfere with the files when sent to the Pocket PC.

I find it useful to be able to view cache files form Pocket PQs on the desktop as well as the Pocket PC in 'the field". :tired:

The "big brother" to EasyGPS is GeoBuddy. It has the same user interface as EasyGPS, but includes full support for your GPX Pocket Queries - all of the geocache, log, and travel bug information is preserved.

After you've modified a GPX file in GeoBuddy, you can save it in the GPX format that Cachemate expects by selecting the geocaches you want (or the entire Geocache List), clicking Export on the File menu, and selecting the GPX 1.0 file type.

http://www.geobuddy.com

Watcher is another program you might find useful on the PC.

Thanks for the info. More questions - does geobuddy work alongside mapsource from garmin or does it / can it replace mapsource? There is mention of US topo maps and aerial photos but I live in Nova Scotia Canada. What about those topo maps (Topo Canada from MapSource) and aerial photos - does it cost extra to access them?

So I wish to be sure I understand - I can use Goebuddy to open (unzip) pocket quiries from Geocaching .com. I can then send those files to my GPSr AND my Pocket PC (where all data is retained). Do have to use MapSorce at all?

I had installed EasyGPS on my PC but removed it when I loaded Cachemate on the Pocket PC. However - the EasyGPX icon remains (it seems) and is teh icon on the files in my zipped Pocket Quiries. Should I be concerned that EasyGPX is still installed on my PC? :tired:

Well, I can only comment on what I am familiar with.

I use GSAK. You don't need to unzip any files. All you do is choose which unzipped file to use, and that's it.

GSAK then sends whatever files you choose to your Palm Desktop application with the press of a button. They then download to Cachemate when you sych you palm device.

Another press of a button sends the waypoints to your GPS.

Very quick.

All of these programs are designed to work alongside MapSource. None will replace MapSource - it's the only program that can send mapping data to your Garmin GPS. Programs like GeoBuddy or OziExplorer or National Geographic Topo let you view your GPS waypoints and tracks (and with GeoBuddy, your geocaches) on top of maps on your computer.

The correct way to remove EasyGPS (or any Windows program) is through the Add or Remove Programs command in the Control Panel. It's a good idea to remove EasyGPS before installing the 90-day trial version of GeoBuddy, because as you've noticed, EasyGPS still is the default program for opening GPX files on your computer.

You can drag and drop .zip files directly from your email program onto the main GeoBuddy window.

Hi, Could you please, point by point, explain where to go - I think under FILE then EXPORT then WHERE??????????? inorder to send the caches to the Pocket PC. I see it has a selection for sending to the 'Palm' but it is not very clear about the pocket PC and I haven't had any luck. :(

Edited by L es

Anyone - pretty please - can you give a hint how to send the GSAK info to a PPC? :wub:

You don't say what you are using on your PPC. But, assuming it is cachemate, then you just export out to GPX. It's a little different from using a palm pda. Cachemate for PPC import directly from GPX. You can even load your GPX directly from a PQ.

Copy the gpx to your PPC via activesync. Then just use the import feature in cachemate to load the contents of the GPX file.

I had downloaded EasyGPX to my PC for handling the files on my PC. Recently I have acquired Pocket PC software called "Cachemate" and the EasyGPX program strips caching files information - a lot of the information will not appear on the Pocket PC if EasyGPX has opened the files. The Cachemate program allows all information on a "cache sheet" to be viewed on the Pocket PC if the zipped Pocket quiries are not opened by EasyGPX. So ... I am wondering what others use on their PC, such that is doesn't interfere with the files when sent to the Pocket PC.

I find it useful to be able to view cache files form Pocket PQs on the desktop as well as the Pocket PC in 'the field". :wub:

I make sure I don't open the GPX file directly from my email with EasyGPS. Instead I save it to my hard drive. If I do that, I can open it in EasyGPS without stripping out all the info. I only encounter the problem of EasyGPS stripping the data if I open the file from my e-mail. Not sure why this happens, but it does.

When I request pocket query, I download it onto my PC then, without opening in any other software, I send it (via Bluetooth) to my Pocket PC where I use GPXsonar to open it. I the entire cache page, including logs, pictures etc. The clue is hidden until you want to see it, then you highlight the clue area and it becomes visible. The software is free.

June

When I request pocket query, I download it onto my PC then, without opening in any other software, I send it (via Bluetooth) to my Pocket PC where I use GPXsonar to open it. I the entire cache page, including logs, pictures etc. The clue is hidden until you want to see it, then you highlight the clue area and it becomes visible. The software is free.

June

I'm with June on this one, I drop my (unzipped) pocket query into the sync folder on my desktop and that's it... Next time I'm out I have everything with me, I just open up GPXSonar and load the file.

Logs I get, but Images are only available while I'm online (but are cached if I visit the geocache page before I head out).

Andy