New GPS: What capacity data card do I need?

gprecon

I just got a new Garmin GPSMAP 276C, and want to install the Mapsource US Topo East basemap. I'm penny-pinching at this point, and I just need to know what minimum capacity data card to buy to achieve this?

Also it is unclear if I absolutely need a data card to achieve this. Does this unit have any on-board memory that can be used for storing basemaps?

310834858_c675b54648.jpg

Please excuse the novice nature of my questions. I'm upgrading from a GPSIII (not +), so the concept of manipulating the basemap is totally new to me. :tired:

I think you'll run out of segments before you would have the entire east coast loaded. I know I would for my 60csx now sure if that is any different.

Anyway, selecting the entire east part of the topo map runs 658.1mb and has 2565 segments.

Ohhhh. That makes sense. However, I was messing with the MapSource software that came with the GPS and I was under the impression that one uploaded entire maps ... I guess I have to rethink that. I trust there is functionality that allows one to upload parts of a topo map? (ie: some of topo east)

Thanks for your response! :tired:

Yes, just select what you want. On my 60csx I load the topo for arizona, new mexico, and colorado, then the entire southwest city navigator, and then some other random custom maps. I just pick where I spend most of my time and figure if I'm going out of state I'll just swap out maps before I leave.

I do all this on a 512mb microsd card.

Edited by -Oz-

I too have a 276C with 512 mb card. I recently loaded all topos for NM, plus some for Colorado, Arizona, Wyoming, South Dakota, and southern California, as well as CNNA v8, Roads and Recreation, and Metroguide for the same areas. Around 700 maps taking @ 425 mb of memory. You SHOULD be able to fit a fair chunk of eastern topo maps on anything from 128mb to 512mb cards.

I've yet to run into anyone who wished they had bought less memory when they had the chance!

Memory is cheap, if you look around you can get a 2G card for under 20 dollars if you look for sales and rebates.

The 276C takes proprietary Garmin memory cards, and not regular SD cards.

OMG! I just checked and Garmin wants $189.99 for a 512MB card!!!!!!! That's insane........... :)