Real Time Tracking with Mapsource Topo

wingryder

Installed Mapsource Topo Version 3.02 on my laptop using the hard drive method. Everything ok except I do not have a "gps tab" in the side panel. Which means I also do not have real time tracking.

I am aware that the last Version to have this feature in Mapsource was 6.5. Did I miss a question in

"Setup" or what?

In a related question what update version would you go with if real time tracking in the back country was your main use?

thanks

wingryder

Installed Mapsource Topo Version 3.02 on my laptop using the hard drive method. Everything ok except I do not have a "gps tab" in the side panel. Which means I also do not have real time tracking.

I am aware that the last Version to have this feature in Mapsource was 6.5. Did I miss a question in

"Setup" or what?

In a related question what update version would you go with if real time tracking in the back country was your main use?

thanks

wingryder

You installed Topo version 3.02, not Mapsource version 3.02. If you check, I am sure you will see Mapsource is a higher version than 6.5.

By staying with a version older than 6.5 you should have the gps tab. If you download their update after 6.5 you have to go to that nroute program .

As far as the 3.02 topo being newer than the 6.5 Mapsource.. that is a bit confusing. As far as I know the only version you can buy is 3.02. Then you update as desired. (And as far as desired)

Thanks

wingryder

Edited by wingryder

I have Garmin National Topo and City Navigator on my laptop. When I want to use live tracking I have been using Nroute. Once you bring up Nroute you have the same maps available to you that you have installed with Mapsource. For me, I can switch between Topo and City Navigator. If auto routing with City Navigator, you will also get voice promts through Nroute when live tracking. :-)

The only way Garmin could remove features is a new version release. If you download their update after 6.5 you have to go to that nroute program but the older version should have it.

As far as the 3.02 topo being newer than the 6.5 Mapsource.. that is a bit confusing. As far as I know the only version you can buy is 3.02. Then you update as desired. (And as far as desired)

Thanks for the input Any other ideas?

wingryder

You are correct in that you need nRoute if you update to MapSource 6.5 or higher.

Your confusion is with version 3.02 of the maps and version 6.5 of the MapSource program. They are totally separate entities. MapSource is the program that handles the maps, tracks and waypoints. It will deal with all the map packages you have installed on your PC. Start MapSource, look under Help/About MapSource. There you will find the MapSource version

The mystery deepens. On another forum a user had the same problem with no "gps tab" when he loaded

"Waterways and Lights" (which is a Garmin marine product I guess) on his laptop. But when he loaded the same software on his desktop, the gps tab was there.

It also might have something to do with the installation of the program by copying all three cds to the harddrive and installing from there.

I might have to uninstall.. do the regular install (insert cds to use) and then change the registry as has been outlined in other posts.

Really should not be this hard

wingryder

The mystery deepens. On another forum a user had the same problem with no "gps tab" when he loaded

"Waterways and Lights" (which is a Garmin marine product I guess) on his laptop. But when he loaded the same software on his desktop, the gps tab was there.

It also might have something to do with the installation of the program by copying all three cds to the harddrive and installing from there.

I might have to uninstall.. do the regular install (insert cds to use) and then change the registry as has been outlined in other posts.

Really should not be this hard

wingryder

If you reinstall MapSource 6.5 or higher you still won't have the GPS tab. There is nothing wrong with the way you installed the software, I've done it several times. Have fun, I'm finished.

The only way Garmin could remove features is a new version release. If you download their update after 6.5 you have to go to that nroute program but the older version should have it.

Thanks for the input Any other ideas?

wingryder

You are correct in that you need nRoute if you update to MapSource 6.5 or higher.

Your confusion is with version 3.02 of the maps and version 6.5 of the MapSource program. They are totally separate entities. MapSource is the program that handles the maps, tracks and waypoints. It will deal with all the map packages you have installed on your PC. Start MapSource, look under Help/About MapSource. There you will find the MapSource version

Klatch.. My version of Mapsource Topo Usa is the same as everyone elses before they hit the Garmin site for upgrades. Its Version 3.02 I stated that in the first post. My maps are 3.02, my program is 3.02.

Garmins website indicates live tracking will work from version 3.02 all the way up to and including 6.5.

Mine does not .. this thread is to find out why.

wingryder

If you see 3.02 on this screen, I am surprised the program will run at all. My old Roads and Recreation maps came with MapSource version 3.something, I forget exactly which. The program wouldn't upload waypoints to my GPSr until I updated to a newer version.

(Help/About MapSource)

2cdcb88e-33ea-4016-80a4-e4036f42d947.jpg

Well here is the conclusion. I know how to read a version number. Even without a picture.

Mine says 3.02. Or at least it did.. And yes it worked just fine with this one exception.

I downloaded an update.. that was still older than version 6.5. Works perfect now.

Thanks to everyone that offered help.

wingryder

Edited by wingryder