What to put in Geocaches

outdoorsy16

Anybody got good ideas to put in Geocaches?

I want to put something that is usable or cool and not dumb. I'm sick of finding dumb useless old toys that are in some cases dirty!! I read on a forum about someone getting a sock!! Come on people we can do better than that!! So give me some ideas that I can use that aren't too expensive. Thanks

I like to put useful items in instead of toys. The front of Target stores have neat itemsfor a dollar: ponchos, flashlight keychains, mosquito wipes, bracelets, etc. My kids like placing (and taking) Hot Wheels cars, those rubber bracelets, stickers, etc.

You can buy neat stuff for a dollar or less.

Edited by ScottFla

mini flashlights, pin-on or zipper-pull compasses or temp gauges, carabiners (good for keys & other stuff), neck lanyards. matchcases (can be used for mini cahces by others)

mini glow sticks I'm told are good.

I know theres been other threads about this but I'm too tired to go find them. :laughing:

Here is a partial list of things I've left in caches. Many are under a buck and most are under $3:

Small US flags

US flag pins

modeling clay

insect repellent wipes

carabiners

Energizer squeeze lights

stickers

Ckip on ball and zipper pull compasses

bags of toy soldiers

water colors

mini screwdriver sets

allen wrench sets

gel pens

boxes of crayons or colored chalk

emergency rain ponchos

packs of AA batteries

collectable coins (buffalo nickels, indian head pennies, SBA or Sacagawea dollars)

music CDs

blank RW CDs

cassettes (blank and recorded)

calculators

clip on safety strobes

bungee cords

LED key lights

"euro" stickers & other decals

mini sewing kits

maps (hiking & road)

software

travel packs of Wet Ones or Baby Wipes

Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars

key rings

packs of Hefty Handi Sacks

bags of balloons

rolls of camo duct tape

velcro fasteners

interesting buttons

padlocks

foreign money

rolls of film

electrical tape

Slinky Jrs.

kazoos

movies on VHS & DVD

office supplies (packs of paper clips, thumb tacks, Post-Its, etc...)

Mylar emergency blankets

decks of cards

new wallets

Pick Up Sticks

individual packs of Armor-All & Rain-X wipes

survival whistles

travel packs of facial tissue

Wheresgeorge bills and stamps

Geocaching.com hats, pins and patches

Edited by briansnat

I buy starting swag for my new caches at a local discount store called "Ollie's Deep Discount". Generally I always go for a $2 flashlight w/batteries, a length of rope, a pack of 4 carabiners for $1, and a few little toys for the kiddies. The rope and flashlight are always the first things to go.

Briansnat's list is really good.

Something that wasn't mentioned, that we like to find/leave in caches are dog toys! Lots of people cache with their dogs. Moxie once marched a sqeeky dog bone all the way from the cache, to the parking area. :laughing:

Other things we've left are yo-yos, gardening gloves, bungees, notepads, small metal knights (gamepieces?), travel chess, checkers, or othello games.

Basically, anything you would like to find in a cache, is good to leave in one. :laughing:

I try to avoid placing anything paper based in a cache unless it is a verry water/weatherproof container that is visited reguraly so it wont absorb too much moisture and become a neusance instead of a prize. Alsp, I like to include Playdough and far.... Ahhhemmm, flagelance sound makers-in-a-tub (comical, and kids loove em, [along with some of us adults]), but avoid placing these in the freezing months because they may freeze and crack thier container, ruining other items. Also, place several extra freezer bags in the cache to help keep everything weather tight. Be creative and have fun.