At last! AT LAST! Muahahahahahah! :) :) :)

RealWorldAvatars

It has been SUCH a long, strange road since hubby and I first decided that we wanted our geocaching signature item to be a coin. The first minting company we tried took forever and a day to deliver a very substandard sample coin, promised to refund our deposit, and then later refused to do so, effectively skunking us out of $300.

The second minting company we chose took considerably less time to produce lovely mockup art and then a whole run of coins... which to our dismay weren't really what we wanted. However, unlike the first company (who I now liken to a sack of weasels), the second company convinced me to give the process a second chance, and produced a run of absolutely gorgeous coins in less than two weeks, for just the price of a new die and shipping on the coins.

Result: I plan to sing the praises of AllAboutCoins at every geocaching event I attend for the next few years. :D:D:D

Anyway, the practical upshot is that we now have 300 of these beauties: 25 gold-finished ones numbered FTF01-FTF25 to leave in our own caches, 75 silvery ones for the caches that we find really memorable or inspiring, and 200 copper-toned ones for the more ordinary sort of cache.

CAVEAT: these coins not for sale, they're not for trade, they're just our sig items and we plan to stick one in every decent-sized cache we can find. :P We're going to place our first one somewhere this upcoming weekend, after I print out little cards to include with them that explain that whoever finds a coin gets to keep it.

I absolutely can't wait to hear what people think of them when they start to be found! *insert happy dancing sort of icon here* It's been more than four months since we started the process; I'm so very glad that everything finally came together.

GEOCOIN-new-final.jpg

Edited by RealWorldAvatars

It has been SUCH a long, strange road since hubby and I first decided that we wanted our geocaching signature item to be a coin. The first minting company we tried took forever and a day to deliver a very substandard sample coin, promised to refund our deposit, and then later refused to do so, effectively skunking us out of $300.

The second minting company we chose took considerably less time to produce lovely mockup art and then a whole run of coins... which to our dismay weren't really what we wanted. However, unlike the first company (who I now liken to a sack of weasels), the second company convinced me to give the process a second chance, and produced a run of absolutely gorgeous coins in less than two weeks, for just the price of a new die and shipping on the coins.

Result: I plan to sing the praises of AllAboutCoins at every geocaching event I attend for the next few years. :D:D:D

Anyway, the practical upshot is that we now have 300 of these beauties: 25 gold-finished ones numbered FTF01-FTF25 to leave in our own caches, 75 silvery ones for the caches that we find really memorable or inspiring, and 200 copper-toned ones for the more ordinary sort of cache.

CAVEAT: these coins not for sale, they're not for trade, they're just our sig items and we plan to stick one in every decent-sized cache we can find. :P We're going to place our first one somewhere this upcoming weekend, after I print out little cards to include with them that explain that whoever finds a coin gets to keep it.

I absolutely can't wait to hear what people think of them when they start to be found! *insert happy dancing sort of icon here* It's been more than four months since we started the process; I'm so very glad that everything finally came together.

GEOCOIN-new-final.jpg

I'd love to find one of these! Hopefully you'll spread the love a little bit south!

I'd love to find one of these! Hopefully you'll spread the love a little bit south!

So long as the Point Defiance Zoo still has a colony of naked mole rats, I've got plenty of reasons to keep visiting Tacoma. :laughing::laughing: The fact that the city is covered in as-yet-unlogged geocaches is just an added bonus!

Hey!!! We have a colony of Naked Mole Rats in the St Louis Zoo also!!! And lots and lots of great caches. Come and drop a few of those nice coins around here, too! :laughing:

Hope to see some in good ol' St. Lou, CF30

As requested, here are the best photos I could manage of the actual coins. If you get the impression here that I suck at photography, well, that just means you're very perceptive. :D

RWA-geocoin-FINAL.jpg

We'll be strewing 'em everywhere we can, just as soon as A) the weather around here gets better, or :D we go somewhere with decent weather. We'll also be bringing a set to the WSGA Puget Sound holiday party this month, 'cause we're looking forward to showing 'em off in person. (Why? Please see my earlier admission of inadequate photography skills. :blink:)

Anyway, that's the end of the story. :D Thanks to everyone who offered advice, opinion, and moral support over the course of my journey through minting hell. Happy caching to everyone, and cheerful wishes for a great holiday season!

As requested, here are the best photos I could manage of the actual coins. If you get the impression here that I suck at photography, well, that just means you're very perceptive. :ph34r:

RWA-geocoin-FINAL.jpg

We'll be strewing 'em everywhere we can, just as soon as A) the weather around here gets better, or :ph34r: we go somewhere with decent weather. We'll also be bringing a set to the WSGA Puget Sound holiday party this month, 'cause we're looking forward to showing 'em off in person. (Why? Please see my earlier admission of inadequate photography skills. :anibad:)

Anyway, that's the end of the story. :ph34r: Thanks to everyone who offered advice, opinion, and moral support over the course of my journey through minting hell. Happy caching to everyone, and cheerful wishes for a great holiday season!

Very nice coins! Hope some come out to this corner of the northwest! :ph34r::blink:

As requested, here are the best photos I could manage of the actual coins...

{photo cut; why take up band-width when the photos are just above this post? :ph34r: }

We'll be strewing 'em everywhere we can...

Anyway, that's the end of the story. :blink: Thanks to everyone who offered advice, opinion, and moral support over the course of my journey through minting hell.

I remember this, now! At first, the design was "merely" another neat idea, but when I saw the photos, I remembered seeing, some time ago, an initial sketch of that tongue-out-of-the-box. I think I even suggested re-doing the drawing so that it was clearer what it was. The final coin really changed over time, didn't it? This is quite a fine sig item :ph34r: The only problem is that I'm not likely to ever see one in person :ph34r: Unless, of course, you have plans to bring a few to sunny SoCal :anibad: Sunshine we have a lot of right now! Glad to see that you stuck with it; it appears to have been worth it :ph34r:

Edited by chaosmanor