Geodining.com

I know it dosn't have distance and search along rout features yet but I'm working on it hopfuly search within a distence from zipcode or city will be up by the end of the year. In fact I have sevral feature I'm planning but it will be a while before I get them all online.

I work on this site in my spare time and I don't have much of that.

I know it dosn't have distance and search along rout features yet but I'm working on it hopfuly search within a distence from zipcode or city will be up by the end of the year. In fact I have sevral feature I'm planning but it will be a while before I get them all online.

I work on this site in my spare time and I don't have much of that.

Thanks for the cool grass roots effort. I see some local participants in my area, too.

No need to stress about the features... because you got the important thing, which are the coordinates to the restaurants. If you are going to add a feature, I recommend some sort of a downloadable file in XML-ish format like LOC or GPX, before doing anything else, so the information can be transferred to the GPSr.

why doesn't everyone post on their caches local places to eat that they would recommend. wouldn't be commercial just helpful info to assist in avoiding the less desirable places when visiting an area you don't know.

Several years ago, I flew to DC for a conference and to spend a few days with my brother. Before I left, I printed off the pages for the local caches. (I think there were a few dozen at the time.)

One of the local pages recommended a nearby chinese restaurant (I don't remember if it was in the description or a recent log). I never ended up looking for that cache, but my wife (girlfriend at the time) and I enjoyed the food.

Funding for this post is made possible by the folks at Parentheses-R-Us.

why doesn't everyone post on their caches local places to eat that they would recommend. wouldn't be commercial just helpful info to assist in avoiding the less desirable places when visiting an area you don't know.

At this point, it is commercial and would get out of hand.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#commercial

Commercial caches attempt to use the Geocaching.com web site cache reporting tool directly or indirectly (intentionally or non-intentionally) to solicit customers through a Geocaching.com listing. These are NOT permitted. Examples include for-profit locations that require an entrance fee, or locations that sell products or services.

Sounds like a great Waymark category. Also - would be better if you could search by proximity, or along a route, etc.

*Is* a Waymarking category already. I've been thinking about adding a Krispy Kreme sub-category. :ph34r::tired:

http://www.Waymarking.com/cat/details.aspx...15-cac71b7f640c

Edited to add that I don't see BoT's site as commercial. It has been around way before Waymarking. I think the two can co-exist, but when you are near a cache you can also get nearest waymarks since the GC site and the Waymarking site are starting to get integrated.

Edited by mtn-man

Sounds like a great Waymark category. Also - would be better if you could search by proximity, or along a route, etc.

*Is* a Waymarking category already. I've been thinking about adding a Krispy Kreme sub-category. :ph34r::tired:

http://www.Waymarking.com/cat/details.aspx...15-cac71b7f640c

Edited to add that I don't see BoT's site as commercial. It has been around way before Waymarking. I think the two can co-exist, but when you are near a cache you can also get nearest waymarks since the GC site and the Waymarking site are starting to get integrated.

It will be handy to be able to run PQs on waymarks, also. That way you could load two seperate libraries in Plucker.

BTW, with Mapsource, can't you download restaurants to most Garmin mapping GPSrs anyway? The other brands probably do it also.

BTW, with Mapsource, can't you download restaurants to most Garmin mapping GPSrs anyway? The other brands probably do it also.

Yep. I use it all the time when traveling. My 60CSx with Navigator 8.0 does a great job. I probably would not download any type of PQ since I pretty much have the info already.

(Waymarking link to All Restaurants)

Not really.

Not the big national chain restaurants but those little local restaurants

Brewpubs - could be national chains...

Revolving Restaurants - that just makes me queasy thinking about it

Classic BBQ & Sandwich Joints - This fits the bill the closest

Starbucks Stores - national chain

Dining Car Restaurants - could be local, could be national?

Steakhouses - both national and local

Gluten Free Restaurants - very specific type

SUBWAY Restaurants - national chain

Ice Cream Parlors - not a restaurant, but does serve edibles

Sushi Restaurants - many national

Independent Coffee Houses - not really a restaurant

Tim Horton's Restaurants - national chain?

McDonald's Restaurants - not really a restaurant I mean - national chain

Why not a category for "recommended non-chain dining"?

Edited by Markwell

Commercial caches attempt to use the Geocaching.com web site cache reporting tool directly or indirectly (intentionally or non-intentionally) to solicit customers through a Geocaching.com listing. These are NOT permitted. Examples include for-profit locations that require an entrance fee, or locations that sell products or services.

surely some level of flexibility is open here? it's not like you need to go into the cafe etc to complete the cache.

or would you be happy if the cache owner told people which establishments NOT to visit? that would mean that they can avoid the unpleasant palces and make their own independant choice of somewhere to eat. :(

surely some level of flexibility is open here? it's not like you need to go into the cafe etc to complete the cache.

or would you be happy if the cache owner told people which establishments NOT to visit? that would mean that they can avoid the unpleasant palces and make their own independant choice of somewhere to eat. :(

To me, seeing a recommended restaurant in the description is just tacky. I do agree with mtn-man that this might open a can of worms... "if so and so can mention this, why can't I solicit this and that...?"

I'll disclose that I have a bias. I dislike caches placed just to showcase "my favorite places to eat." However, I've seen people post this information in the logs, which seems acceptable.

To me, seeing a recommended restaurant in the description is just tacky. I do agree with mtn-man that this might open a can of worms... "if so and so can mention this, why can't I solicit this and that...?"

I'll disclose that I have a bias. I dislike caches placed just to showcase "my favorite places to eat." However, I've seen people post this information in the logs, which seems acceptable.

The discussion is off topic. It is well established as a guideline. I don't see it changing.

Please feel free to discuss geodining.com in this topic. GPX files would be very cool BoT.

Geodining.com is now proud to have a GPX file available of all restaurnts on the site. The file is not detailed it only has the most basic info for you GPS. In the future a detaild large files will be available. When the site reaches 500 restaurants you will also be able to download customized GPX files so keep the restaurants comming. To download the GPX file go to the Find a restaurant Page and download it from there.

Sorry, but it's been brought to my attention that Geodining.com has at some point added a commercial aspect to its website. I am therefore closing this thread under the commercial posting section of the forum guidelines. Beast of Traal, if you can confirm by PM or e-mail to a moderator that you have permission from Groundspeak to utilize the forums to promote your website, we would be delighted to re-open your thread. Thank you for your understanding.