Converting X, Y to Lat Long

nsa1978

Hm... with the little information you've provided, it's hard to even make a guess.

Can you tell us where you got the information? Is it from map? From your property deed?

Do you know the approximate location? Like the city or state?

Based on the cartesian roots, I'd have to guess that's it's some variant of UTM.

Jamie

It was from a NAD 1927 map coordinate for my property in South Texas...

Ok, nsa1978, I may have your answer. Using what you gave us above, I assumed the coordinates were in Texas State Plane, South Central zone (Lambert Conformal Conic projection).

The Lat/Lon of this is: N29 21.616 W98 50.889

It lands about 2 mi NE of Castroville, Medina County, TX. Does this sound like your property?

LOL, Timpat beat me to posting a reply, but I reached a slightly different conclusion. NW part of Brooks County, TX between Hebbronville and Falfurrias. I used State Plane South Texas NAD27 instead of South Central.

Timpat, I pulled up this shapefile - C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Reference Systems\usstpln83.shp. Yeah, it refers to SPC NAD83, but it showed this area as being the South Texas zone.

I zoomed in real close on the coords the OP gave, placed a point on their exact coords, then converted the display from feet to DMS. Used GeoCalc to convert again and got N 27 11.631, W 98 21.053.

LOL, Timpat beat me to posting a reply, but I reached a slightly different conclusion.

Hee hee, I sense a fellow GIS person here! Hmm, if the OP gave us just a bit more info. Perhaps one of us guessed correctly!? Texas is a big piece of real estate. Even saying "south Texas" incorporates a huge area to play in.

It was from a NAD 1927 map coordinate for my property in South Texas...

I did a conversion with the corpscom program.

Corpscon v6.0.1, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers  

State Plane, NAD27
4205 - Texas South, 
U.S. Feet			 Geographic, NAD83  
Northing/Y: 555121	Latitude: 27.194173176 
Easting/X: 2048468	Longitude: 98.351179128 
Accuracies of conversions from NAD 27 to NAD 83 are typically 12 to 18 cm.  

Edited by John E Cache