Explorist 500 New Hotness

Prairie Dog

I got my new Magellan Explorist 500 yesterday. The UPS guy came later than usual, like eight o'clock at night and dropped it on my doorstep. I was in the middle of cooking so I put the box to one side. This morning was like Christmas had come early for me. :D

I ordered one of the nice bundle deals from TigerGPS. This was a very good deal in my opinion.

In the box was the GPS'r, rechargeable battery, mapping software, car mount, car charger, PC cable, and home charger. Only thing not included is a lanyard and carrying case.

First impressions are good. I'm amazed at how small the GPS'r is. I like the color screen, too. Cold start time is much faster than on some of the older Magellan models. This one had my fix in a little over a minute. I can't wait to start using this new unit.

But, what will become of the Sportrak Map? :P It's my old reliable. We've found almost 300 caches together. I'm deeply connected to this trusty old unit. It's why I love Magellan products. I think I will hunt 6 more caches with the Sportrak so I will have 300 finds with it. Then I'll start carrying the new Explorist 500.

Just wanted to share, thanks.

I got my new Magellan Explorist 500 yesterday. The UPS guy came later than usual, like eight o'clock at night and dropped it on my doorstep. I was in the middle of cooking so I put the box to one side. This morning was like Christmas had come early for me. :D

I ordered one of the nice bundle deals from TigerGPS. This was a very good deal in my opinion.

In the box was the GPS'r, rechargeable battery, mapping software, car mount, car charger, PC cable, and home charger. Only thing not included is a lanyard and carrying case.

First impressions are good. I'm amazed at how small the GPS'r is. I like the color screen, too. Cold start time is much faster than on some of the older Magellan models. This one had my fix in a little over a minute. I can't wait to start using this new unit.

But, what will become of the Sportrak Map? :P It's my old reliable. We've found almost 300 caches together. I'm deeply connected to this trusty old unit. It's why I love Magellan products. I think I will hunt 6 more caches with the Sportrak so I will have 300 finds with it. Then I'll start carrying the new Explorist 500.

The 500 LE or the 500? Because the 500 is discontinued, and the 500 LE don't includes battery and charger.

You wil enjoy your Explorist much more if you get the Swivel Mount (craddle.) Attach your cable to this and you can charge or transfer data without having to screw the cable to the back of the unit. You will get tired of this cable very soon, and the mount makes it more fun.

I know what you're saying. I just bought a 500 too. I was using a Meridian Gold up until now. I too am having separation anxiety. :laughing:

For now I have loaded topo maps on the 500 and am using the Gold with Street maps for backup. :laughing:

While I'm happy with the 500, I miss the larger screen of the Meridian. Then again, the 500 locks in so much faster and the color is certainly sweet.

I added a one gig SD card so I can have any map or cache files I need. :laughing:

And yes the swivel mount is great, it saves connecting and disconnecting the cable all the time.

Edited by High IQ

You wil enjoy your Explorist much more if you get the Swivel Mount (craddle.) Attach your cable to this and you can charge or transfer data without having to screw the cable to the back of the unit. You will get tired of this cable very soon, and the mount makes it more fun.

I know what you're saying. I just bought a 500 too. I was using a Meridian Gold up until now. I too am having separation anxiety. :laughing:

For now I have loaded topo maps on the 500 and am using the Gold with Street maps for backup. :laughing:

While I'm happy with the 500, I miss the larger screen of the Meridian. Then again, the 500 locks in so much faster and the color is certainly sweet.

I added a one gig SD card so I can have any map or cache files I need. :laughing:

And yes the swivel mount is great, it saves connecting and disconnecting the cable all the time.

He got a mount in his bundled purchase...it's a suction cup windshield mount with cradle with the snap in port for the cable.

He got a mount in his bundled purchase...it's a suction cup windshield mount with cradle with the snap in port for the cable.

Yeah...but the swivel mount is a lot easier to use on a desktop to connect with the computer. I suppose one could use the windshield mount for that purpose, but I'd leave that one in the car. I tend to use my swivel mount exclusively with my computer, leaving it connected all the time. In a pinch, I could afix it to a dashboard with velcro.

I got my new Magellan Explorist 500 yesterday. The UPS guy came later than usual, like eight o'clock at night and dropped it on my doorstep. I was in the middle of cooking so I put the box to one side. This morning was like Christmas had come early for me. :laughing:

But, what will become of the Sportrak Map? :laughing: It's my old reliable. We've found almost 300 caches together. I'm deeply connected to this trusty old unit. It's why I love Magellan products. I think I will hunt 6 more caches with the Sportrak so I will have 300 finds with it. Then I'll start carrying the new Explorist 500.

I too just purchased the same package for tigergps. I found a temporary case at the right price at Eddie Bauer, they were is discounting black canvas "cell phone" cases for $3. I kept an old wrist lanyard from a digital camera should work. Also thought about using sturdy cord and attacing the "o" ring from the neck lanyard. just some thoughts twoclaws