What happens in the snow zones?

Does everyone put up there GPS and pick up the remote for the TV? Or are there GeoCachers that brave the elements? I was curious watching the snow fly outside my warm study typing out this post. I was hoping to try :D but with caches hidden so well, and me only finding 3 so far. I would think it pretty futile to try.

Just ask'n

Watch the caches in your area and after you see that someone found it with snow on the ground go find it. JUST FOLLOW THE FOOTSTEPS... I know a cacher that did this several times last year without his gps..

Does everyone put up there GPS and pick up the remote for the TV? Or are there GeoCachers that brave the elements? I was curious watching the snow fly outside my warm study typing out this post. I was hoping to try :D but with caches hidden so well, and me only finding 3 so far. I would think it pretty futile to try.

Just ask'n

Watch the caches in your area and after you see that someone found it with snow on the ground go find it. JUST FOLLOW THE FOOTSTEPS... I know a cacher that did this several times last year without his gps..

And some of us, realizing that, put out false trails to confuse those behind us...

We live in SD. No snow yet, but winter has hit here. I did some Sub-Zero caching this morning. -1F ambient temp. At least -10F windchill. I actually like it. The only problem is that some rocks & logs are Frozen down, so looking under things gets to be a little tricky.

Bring on the snow! I can't wait. I have been Not Searching for some caches in the local woods, only so I can go out in the snow and hunt them.

-DakotaCache

Okay, I'll plead "Guilty as charged" to the offense of not reading all the responses, to see if this has been already mentioned. I found a great alternative to freezing in the Wisconsin winter looking for the elusive micro: we are cruising the Caribbean in February, and are taking our Garmin along for a few beachside caches in Cozumel :ph34r: . Hasta la vista, baby!

Watch the caches in your area and after you see that someone found it with snow on the ground go find it. JUST FOLLOW THE FOOTSTEPS.

That doesn't work quite as well as it might seem. I went after a cache last night. It was about 20 degree, and two hours after sundown. The cache was in an acre sized patch of woods, and I knew that the FTF had gotten it the day before, and left tracks.

His tracks were perfectly clear. Problem was, he couldn't get any better of a GPS lock than I could, so the tracks went all over the place. About the only use they provided me was to show where I didn't need to go - since he had found the cache, I knew I could too without stomping on any virgin snow.

Took me 45 minutes, and my nethers were numb by the time I finished!

Does everyone put up there GPS and pick up the remote for the TV? Or are there GeoCachers that brave the elements? I was curious watching the snow fly outside my warm study typing out this post. I was hoping to try :ph34r: but with caches hidden so well, and me only finding 3 so far. I would think it pretty futile to try.

Just ask'n

This will work for people that are in a hurry. I personally cover my tracks as I leave the cache site by walking backwards and then covering up my tracks. I usually don't walk right to GZ either. I usually start about 30' out and circle around first then I head towards GZ. I don't do this to be mean, I just think that the hunt should be just that, a hunt. No fun if every cache had a sign saying "here follow this path" and an arrow pointing right at the cache. Need to keep it fun and a challenge. :ph34r:

Caching through the snow is the way to go!

Caching through the snow in a one-horse open sleigh; O'er the fields we go laughing all the way. :huh:B)<_<

I was thinking more like:

Caching through the snow in a one-horse open sleigh; First to finds we go laughing all the way. Ha Ha Ha!

Seriously, with the harsh Chicago weather and the snow, and a new baby, I'll probably be hanging up my GPSr until Spring. MAybe the occasional foray, but nothing serious...

--MGb

Last year, we tended to do Virtuals and Locationless when there was snow cover, I guess this year that would mean Waymarking! But some caches are not on the ground, and walking in the woods with snow cover (especially right after a decent snowfall) is a very tranquil experience, so sometimes we've tried anyway.

Of course, many places such as here only have snow cover for parts of the winter, and the portion of the winter months that has snow cover varies from year to year. Right now we (and I'm sure others in this area) are taking advantage of the warm, snowless conditions we've been having to grab caches before things change (and whether you believe this is all global warming or not, I'm sure it inevitably will.....weather trivia bit of the day; did you know there has never been a winter in which any part of the northeast US north of Philadelphia did not get at least one sticking snowfall (though some years have had only one at least along the coastal parts....for example until 1997-98 you could've expanded this statement to say north of Virginia, that was a freaky winter in which for example NY City's only sticking snowfall occurred on March 22)?

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa

We don't let the snow stop us. Sometimes we don't find the cache, sometimes we do. The level of difficulty does go up a bit, but sometimes others footprints help a bit. Last year we had a couple DNF's along with a bunch of finds. There hasn't been much snow yet, but we have still been going out the couple weekends that there were a few inches. Just dress properly, be prepared, enjoy what nature has to offer us and have fun!

Being from Idaho too, i wondered this same thing (i started caching witha buddy and didnt have an accnt for the first year or so) but then after a few weeks of sitting on the couch on weekends that was it!! get in the truck im going to see how stuck i can get!! ive gone as far as i can in the truck then unloaded my snow mobile and ridden to many REMOTE caches!! It gives me a reason to ride!! This year i bought a set of very nice 10x58 snow shoes and plan on going after a few of the more rural caches that a snowmobile would be over kill on!! the local town(15 miles from me) is putting in a X-country ski trail system im thinking of stashin a few caches in its general area!!! maybe that will give a few more people a reason to put down the X-mas candy and go outside and enjoy nature!! That is why we do this isnt it!! OH yeah and for the bragging rights of a FTF!!!

As someone who lives in a region that gets an average of 200+ inches of snowfall every winter, I say "Keep On Cachin'!".

Ten Great Things About Winter Caching

1. There are fewer muggles.

2. Get rid of those unwanted Christmas gifts by marking them as 'swag'.

3. Sometimes you can follow the tracks right to the cache.

4. Better yet, follow your tracks back to the car.

5. The bears are hibernating.

6. No leaves on the trees to interfere with your reception.

7. Television is only broadcasting reruns anyway.

8. Try a new winter sport like snowshoeing or XC skiing.

9. No bugs!

10. Snowball fight with other cachers trying to nab your FTF!

11. Less underbrush, burrs, and stickers.

12. You get to wear long pants so less chance of poison ivy.

13. More FTFs (First to Freeze).