What happens in the snow zones?

I always read the hint before I go out for the snowbelt caches. As we are just east of Lake Huron, it is not uncommon to be walking over a meter of snow along the trails. If the cache hint says its under a log it is very unlikely you will find a log, let alone a cache.

Always bring snowshoes (mine have stayed in my car all summer!), you will save youself alot of energy. Also bring a BFL, as you will probably be out in the dark very shortly.

As far as I'm concerned looking for a cache in snow is no different then when it's covered in leaves.

There just something about walking a snow covered trail, seeing tracks of rabbits, birds and the occasional fox, stopping and listening to the quiet.

Summer in my opinion is the least best time to go caching. (At least around here)

Edited by BlueDeuce

As someone who lives in a region that gets an average of 200+ inches of snowfall every winter, I say "Keep On Cachin'!".

Ten Great Things About Winter Caching

1. There are fewer muggles.

2. Get rid of those unwanted Christmas gifts by marking them as 'swag'.

3. Sometimes you can follow the tracks right to the cache.

4. Better yet, follow your tracks back to the car.

5. The bears are hibernating.

6. No leaves on the trees to interfere with your reception.

7. Television is only broadcasting reruns anyway.

8. Try a new winter sport like snowshoeing or XC skiing.

9. No bugs!

10. Snowball fight with other cachers trying to nab your FTF!

I cache all year round. either using shoeshoes skis or snowmobile .

Plus there is no bears, bugs, poison ivy, a lack of muggles, etc, etc....

The snow adds for that extra bit of challenge on some caches.

snow sometimes adds a few stars to a terrain rating.

night caching in the snow

a6b09c39-b922-4547-bf3f-bcde8a208218.jpg

geodogs love the snow

baf443b1-87f4-42e9-819c-af60d9776fd7.jpg

more importantly canoe only caches turn in to hike into caches when the lakes freeze.

d92466d3-8fda-4e6c-8aaf-21267645c6a2.jpg

more importantly canoe only caches turn in to hike into caches when the lakes freeze.

d92466d3-8fda-4e6c-8aaf-21267645c6a2.jpg

This is true!!!! Two of the older Canoe only caches near me have many winter finders. Might even try that stunt myself this winter. :tired: This will be my 4th winter of caching, and only the 1st was what is considered a "normal" winter around here, with a foot or more of snowpack from late December thru March. Believe me, even some of the easiest caches had their degree of difficulty increased tenfold. Then again, maybe it's just because I was a newbie :ph34r:

Does everyone put up there GPS and pick up the remote for the TV? Or are there GeoCachers that brave the elements? I was curious watching the snow fly outside my warm study typing out this post. I was hoping to try :tired: but with caches hidden so well, and me only finding 3 so far. I would think it pretty futile to try.

Just ask'n

:ph34r: I have no clue.

I dont worry about them- usally the snow snakes eat them before they become a problem. :(

well that's all well and good until you disturb one when you are reaching into the snow for the cache and get bitten.

I've been to the emergency room 3 times now with snow snake bites. :D I'd definitely rather tangle with a rattler. You'd think I'd have learned to bring a snake bite kit along by now, but I'm a slow learner apparently.