Webcam Caches Removed from GC.COM THREAD NUMBER 2

Xopster

WOW The first thread I chose to post in months and Jeremey Irish closes it after less than one day!

I wanted at least one reply to the responses so here it is:

Geocaching is finding something hidden somewhere - lots of oppurtunity elsewhere to get your picture taken!!

Ya know there are people that think using a GPSr is cheating, perhaps you should be using a compass and a map to find caches as well. Anone who posts a comment like this is totally disregarding the profound popularity of the WebCam caches, why were they eliminated? Too popular for their own good?

So let me get this straight, one day the brain trust at Groundspeak were sitting around and decided to implement Webcam Caches. Several years later the same group were sitting around and decided these WebCam caches are way too popular and we are getting nothing but complaints from the thousands of people who have delighted in finding them. They decide that these WebCam caches are a threat to the very existence of geocaching so we have to ban any more from being activated for the good of the hobby.

I happen to know that many cachers got started in the hobby by finding just such a thing as a WebCam cache. I guess I will bow to the elite minority of cachers who post in the forums but are out of touch with the bulk of the geocaching world

They decide that these WebCam caches are a threat to the very existence of geocaching so we have to ban any more from being activated for the good of the hobby.

Actually I think it's just that they decided there is better functionality to support webcams over on Waymarking.com. And I have to agree with them.

Why are you so resistant to using a 2nd website?

It might be a good idea to move (or restart) this thread in the Geocaching Topics to gauge the community response. I think it's a pretty good bet that this functionality won't be coming back on GC.com.

I have visited a few Webcam caches, but have not logged one online, so I'm going to remove myself from advocating pro or con here. To be fair, though, I don't think Webcams were moved to Waymarking due to political issues like Locationless and Virtuals.

They decide that these WebCam caches are a threat to the very existence of geocaching so we have to ban any more from being activated for the good of the hobby.

Actually I think it's just that they decided there is better functionality to support webcams over on Waymarking.com. And I have to agree with them.

Probably the same reason places like target and wal-mart are so popular, people like the one stop shopping experience.

you know the same reason people still use gc.com and have trackable coins and such. yes there are other sites, but its nice to have it all in one place.

but, in the other thread Jeremy clearly said there were no plans to bring them back to gc.com, so let it rest.

WOW The first thread I chose to post in months and Jeremey Irish closes it after less than one day!

Geocaching is finding something hidden somewhere - lots of oppurtunity elsewhere to get your picture taken!!

Ya know there are people that think using a GPSr is cheating, perhaps you should be using a compass and a map to find caches as well. Anone who posts a comment like this is totally disregarding the profound popularity of the WebCam caches, why were they eliminated? Too popular for their own good?

So let me get this straight, one day the brain trust at Groundspeak were sitting around and decided to implement Webcam Caches. Several years later the same group were sitting around and decided these WebCam caches are way too popular and we are getting nothing but complaints from the thousands of people who have delighted in finding them. They decide that these WebCam caches are a threat to the very existence of geocaching so we have to ban any more from being activated for the good of the hobby.

I happen to know that many cachers got started in the hobby by finding just such a thing as a WebCam cache. I guess I will bow to the elite minority of cachers who post in the forums but are out of touch with the bulk of the geocaching world

In your world they are popular

I have nevber personally met another cacher in mine that particularly liked them.

I turn the question back around at you, why do we need a second site? I am not inerested in Waymarking.com, if you are fine I would not knock your choice as some here knock mine with respect to webcams caches.

Yeah know I guess I am just really dissapointed in the politics here, I thought this was an egalitarian hobby where everyone had the best interests of the hobby at mind. That the success of something would be enough to ensure its existence here, I guess I was wrong thats all. I was at a cache event here a couple of weeks ago and not one person said yeah good for them stopping the proliferation of webcam caches, quite the contrary was the case. "Did they do that? Dam!" "What was that all about" "Another fun thing down the tube" etc. etc. This is what people were saying to me when discussing it. I look at the only webcam cache in the Vancouver area and I see that almost all the top cachers have taken the time to log it as well as hundreds of tourists. Are they all wrong? Do they secretly wish they didnt have the opportunity to log it as a cache find?

whatever...

I have nevber personally met another cacher in mine that particularly liked them.

Now I know why I hate the forums so much, they are full of people who write one line responses to well reasoned commentaries.

Get out from under your rock, pick any webcam listed and see how many finders have logged it in a resonable period of time and then compare that to the most popular Regular Cache you can find.

Edited by Xopster

Probably the same reason places like target and wal-mart are so popular, people like the one stop shopping experience.

you know the same reason people still use gc.com and have trackable coins and such. yes there are other sites, but its nice to have it all in one place.

but, in the other thread Jeremy clearly said there were no plans to bring them back to gc.com, so let it rest.

The reason I brought this topic up in the first place was I was asked to by a representative of Groundspeak. I had sent a private message to Groundspeak Support regarding this matter:

Hi there,

Thank you for your feedback. Since this is a concept that affects all geocachers, I am going to suggest that you post this in the Geocaching.com Web site forum. You can reach this forum at this link 'http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=8'. Our development team keeps a close eye on that forum, so that's your best avenue to share your thoughts.

Eric

Groundspeak Inc

Ticket Details

===================

Ticket ID: KHF-861196

Department: Geocaching

Priority: High

This is why I brought it up and this is why I was somewhat outraged that Jeremy Irish would shut down the debate thread in less than 1 day with his I dont give a dam what anyone else thinks reply he gave me.

I kinda liked the concept of webcam caches, but hated the coordination involved with logging most of them. That being said, it is completely clear that they aren't coming back. Also, this is one of those occasions where the replacement for them truly is as good as the original.

I suppose it could be better with PQs, but that will happen before long...

Now I know why I hate the forums so much, they are full of people who write one line responses to well reasoned commentaries.

Get out from under your rock, pick any webcam listed and see how many finders have logged it in a resonable period of time and then compare that to the most popular Regular Cache you can find.

I don't know, personally I the thing I hate about the forums most is when people get offended way to easily. Any comment other that 'I totally agree with you ten thousand percent' is seen as an angry (often personal) attack on not only the idea but the person posting it, and receives equally critical responses.

Just relax a little eh?

....Why are you so resistant to using a 2nd website?

That's a good question. Person after person posts about alternate geocaching websites and the majority of responders say "it's just not worth the bother this site has all I need".

Waymarking is another website after a fashon and people are saying "I want this site (gc.com) to have all I need..."

It's an angle that I hadn't though of yet.

As for the OP. Webcams are yet another location based item to find and fit the same general arguments being used for virtuals and locationless. At this point all debate is for entertainment purposes only. Jeremy has said that they will not bring them back. Now back to the entertaining regular debate.

This sport is always evolving. Evolution brought in the webcam and virtual caches, and evolution took them out as not being core to the hobby.

Businesses do this all the time. They extend beyond the core of their business, then they pull back citing different reasons but always going back to the core that was most successful and easiest to manage. Most people accept this kind of change.

I would put to you: Why then are you so resistant to the change back to the core of the hobby?

Edited by TotemLake

Something just occured to me while I was reading all the replies.

There can be no doubt that only a handful of elites has bothered to express an opinion here.

Look at the posting numbers for those who have replied to my topic:

There were only 2 under 1000 postings.

You are not the average cacher, you are Forum Elites. The average Geocacher has a handful of Forum Postings or can not be bothered with posting as he/she is certainly going to be shut down, or one-line heckled into oblivion as has happened to me.

Forgive me for the intrusion, I will now return to not bothering with the Forums as I have now remembered why I have been away from them in the first place. See you never.

Edited by Xopster

I didn't respond because it doesn't matter to me where the webcams are. I will patiently wait for the Waymarking site to be full featured like the geocaching.com site. It is well on its way and soon will be another site that I frequent daily.

BTW, I don't know how many forum post I have. Guess I will have to hit reply to see if I am Elite or not.

There can be no doubt that only a handful of elites has bothered to express an opinion here.

It's more likely that the reason why you see more high posters responding to your topic is because high posters get their high numbers from, well, posting a lot.

You are not the average cacher, you are Forum Elites. The average Geocacher has a handful of Forum Postings or can not be bothered with posting as he/she is certainly going to be shut down, or one-line heckled into oblivion as has happened to me.

Forgive me for the intrusion, I will now return to not bothering with the Forums as I have now remembered why I have been away from them in the first place. See you never.

I take offense at being considered an elite by post count. You asked and received answers by those that cared to give them. You are not the victim you are trying to pose yourself as.

Edited by TotemLake

I don't think I can be classed as an elite poster.

You may have a well reasoned commentary but it is way to much way to late. From what I can see every geocacher has the ability to read and post in the forums. Grounspeak uses the forums to notify expected changes. The issues are open to debate at that appropriate time. It is up to you to come here for the information. Not come in here and claim to be part of the "silent majority" and demand your opinions be heard after the fact.

Yes there is a lot of garbage that goes on here but as long as you keep yourself informed and decide to comment on those issues that concern you when they arise you may go some way in getting heard. From your own admission you hang out with an average cacher that does not keep themselves informed and says nothing.

Getting everything they have asked for.

Do you want to compare find counts? :P

I miss virtuals... knowing what you are there to find isn's as much fun as a suprise when you get there. I do NOT miss and will not miss webcams. They can be such a PITA when you get to their location and have to get some help getting that photo. Yes, they can be fun. But I don't even bother trying for them unless I have tons of extra time to spend on a cell phone being coached into the viewing area by someone many states away from me. :P

Waymarking has potential, but I really can't get too interested in it. I think the lack of "suprise" moments is what tends to annoy me. Sure, finding and creating your own can be fun, but then everyone knows what is there and it isn't as big a suprise.

I wouldn't have posted except you seem to think that only people with high post counts are against webcams. :D

-Jen

You can still discuss this in the General Topics section where there are more audiences. I'm a bit surprised you "brokedown" to dividing people by Elite status so quickly. It puts your credibility in question, especially since this is an INTERNET forum.... :P

I'm not against Webcams coming back to GC.com, if you want to hear my position. That won't make an ounce of difference, though, unless you can show stronger grass roots support.

I'm all for different kinds of caches and like to do them all. Virt, LC, webcam, letterbox etc. I've discussed them and defended them quite often. However- I've come to accept that new LC/virt/WC will not be listed on GC.com for the foreseeable future if ever. I also have not caught the Waymarking bug because it really isn't the same thing either in my opinion. I do like helping out some categories by being members of them however.

Now that you know a little more about me, other than just numbers, here's my advice: just let it go. Enjoy the ones you can find while they last. Give Waymarking a chance, it's still a newborn and needs time to grow and develope. :P

Oh the hysterical irony.

Has anyone bothered to look at who owns the Webcam Category over on the Waymarking site by chance?

I kind of like his faithful assistant in the category, but I hear he is an elite poster in the forums. You probably can't trust that guy either.

I enjoyed the diversity of the various types of caches that are now defunct. I haven't given Waymarking much of a chance as I don't really have time to use more than one site. I'd like to see them come back but if they don't you'll probably see people putting more effort into multi's and puzzles which are great too.

Oh the hysterical irony.

Has anyone bothered to look at who owns the Webcam Category over on the Waymarking site by chance?

I kind of like his faithful assistant in the category, but I hear he is an elite poster in the forums. You probably can't trust that guy either.

A little hard to find that answer since Webcams don't show up as a category initially. Just happened to click on internet and lo and behold it had subcategories including Webcams.

Oh, and by the way, nice pictures of you and the master. But who is this "iryshe"? It looks like the Master is #1 and #2. THe lowly assistant only #3. I thought you had to have 3 people to manage a group not 3 accounts.

Oh the hysterical irony.

So its not just elite posters who are against webcams as Geocaches. It's really the Waymarking webcam cabal, who have an interest in keeping webcams as waymarks. If they were brought back to Geocaching.com, like Earthcaches, they would have to give up their power as the Waymarking webcam managers. I would like to join the club and come out against allowing virtual caches which are interesting places that aren't well known and where what you will find isn't given away in the description from being posted on Geocaching.com as there is a Waymarking category for these locations. :tired:

Oh the hysterical irony.

Not untill you mentioned it. I hate Waymarking. but that is kind of humorous.

Do you want to compare find counts? :tired:

I know you were being sarcastic here, but that is part of the real issue. I almost guarantee you that if waymarks became a new icon in your GC.com stats and added to your find count, WM.com would explode in popularity overnight.

Oh the hysterical irony.

A little hard to find that answer since Webcams don't show up as a category initially. Just happened to click on internet and lo and behold it had subcategories including Webcams.

Oh, and by the way, nice pictures of you and the master. But who is this "iryshe"? It looks like the Master is #1 and #2. THe lowly assistant only #3. I thought you had to have 3 people to manage a group not 3 accounts.

One of the main reasons for having multiple managers is so that the category will be well attended. The idea is that one of the three managers would probably be around the computer checking emails so waymarks will be approved timely. Also, if one goes AWOL, the other two can remove that person and replace them easily. It makes sure the category continues to be maintained.

My guess is that one of the two of those managers is *probably* on the site each day. :tired: I don't think manager #3 is going anywhere any time soon, and I have a really good feeling about that "iryshe" guy hanging around the site too. :ph34r: That's just a wild guess though.

Oh the hysterical irony.

Yup! I saw that yesterday when there were only a few posts starting to appear. I actually remembered that from one of my waymarks regarding a webcam. :ph34r:

"I'll just be window lurking, thank you!" I am trying to keep my posts down to a reasonable amount. And by the way, there are a lot of "post-a-holics" with time on their hands. :tired:

Oh the hysterical irony.

Yup! I saw that yesterday when there were only a few posts starting to appear. I actually remembered that from one of my waymarks regarding a webcam. :tired:

"I'll just be window lurking, thank you!" I am trying to keep my posts down to a reasonable amount. And by the way, there are a lot of "post-a-holics" with time on their hands. :ph34r:

The Internet provided a fantastic means of keeping in touch when you can't do it otherwise. It's not just "time on their hands." I'm an IT manager and half my daily life is spent working on systems and waiting for one thing or another to complete. It's just as easy to post then as any other time.

Some people associate in bars and taverns, reunions of many types, Sunday get togethers, others in chat rooms, forums, instant and text messaging, as well as e-mail. Wherever one might find their circle of friends should not be disparaged. Not everybody can meet up face to face on a daily basis.

Edited by TotemLake
So its not just elite posters who are against webcams as Geocaches. It's really the Waymarking webcam cabal, who have an interest in keeping webcams as waymarks. ...

Is it really your position that Jeremy isn't going to allow webcams to come back to GC.com because he wants to protect his power over a category on WM.com?

Do you want to compare find counts? :tired:

I know you were being sarcastic here, but that is part of the real issue. I almost guarantee you that if waymarks became a new icon in your GC.com stats and added to your find count, WM.com would explode in popularity overnight.

Another way might be to get your arch rivals to start logging waymarks, then there would be someone to compete with, since geocaching Waymarking is a competive sport :ph34r:

(and I mean in a general 'Your' way, not a specifcaly you Xopster)

So its not just elite posters who are against webcams as Geocaches. It's really the Waymarking webcam cabal, who have an interest in keeping webcams as waymarks. ...

Is it really your position that Jeremy isn't going to allow webcams to come back to GC.com because he wants to protect his power over a category on WM.com?

I'm sure he was kidding. He winked and everything.

But this might help explain why the Photos Then and Now cache type idea never really caught on.

hrmm, 1 year/400 caches and Ive just bothered clicking a link for the first time to Waymarking.com. Just what I need, another site to navigate around. No thanks, one is enough for me. I still dont see why webcams are such a bother to have on this site. Is it really that hard to just ignore them? really?

Maybe I havent been lurking in the right topics, but how does having webcam listings here create such a problem? Or is it more about having another site to generate more advertising revenue? sign0069.gif

hrmm, 1 year/400 caches and Ive just bothered clicking a link for the first time to Waymarking.com. Just what I need, another site to navigate around. No thanks, one is enough for me. I still dont see why webcams are such a bother to have on this site. Is it really that hard to just ignore them? really?

Maybe I havent been lurking in the right topics, but how does having webcam listings here create such a problem? Or is it more about having another site to generate more advertising revenue? sign0069.gif

Funny. Very funny. You ask if it is really a problem to have web cams here. Twice. Yet, it is a *huge* problem for you to go to another site for them. I am not sure who has the problem here.

From a reviewer standpoint, they were just like virtuals. The review process was subjective. As one who lived through some of the review process and the angst that goes with it, I am very happy that I do not have to deal with the "why won't <insert reviewer name> list my webcam" topics or emails anymore.

There is no subjectivity to the process on the Waymarking site. You can list what you want. Everything gets listed as long as you have the link to the webcam correct and you have coordinates for where to stand to be in the photo. You can be a dustspeck on the camera and it gets listed. You have tremendous freedom to list every webcam on the planet. Boy, clicking that link is really tough though. :anibad:

As for your last sentence:

Or is it more about having another site to generate more advertising revenue?
Would you mind telling everyone where these revenue generating ads are on the Waymarking site please? sign0069.gif:ph34r::ph34r:

Perhaps you should actually visit the site before you fling criticism.

Edited by mtn-man

I think we need to look on the positive side and say "Well, at least the exsisting webcams wern't forced to be archived"

People are still logging webcams to this day on GC.com, and it is because those listings are grandfathered.

I don't think we need to be shooting Jermey down, because he does a lot of great things for this site....and it wasn't just him, but a committee that decided to do away with Webcams on GC.com! Just because we don't know who all the other members of the higher-ups that decide this kind of stuff is, doesn't mean we need to get on Jermey's case because he is a higher-up!

I am not for nor am I against Webcams leaving the GC.com site....I just look at it as being something different that makes this sport change from sameo, sameo all the time. Sure webcams are gone, but EARTHCACHES ARE BACK!!!!!

....From a reviewer standpoint, they were just like virtuals. The review process was subjective. As one who lived through some of the review process and the angst that goes with it, I am very happy that I do not have to deal with the "why won't <insert reviewer name> list my webcam" topics or emails anymore.

There is no subjectivity to the process on the Waymarking site. You can list what you want....

Two comments. The difficulty the reviewers had was in large part due to the extra rules created by TPTB to be enforced by the reviewers. As for Waymarking what you say may be true for webcams. It's certainly not true for other sections where people are debating things like the minimum (and subjective) quality of a submission. You just have a larger pool of peopole making those subjective decisions. Perhaps visits themselves are not subject to any approval at all?

Funny. Very funny. You ask if it is really a problem to have web cams here. Twice. Yet, it is a *huge* problem for you to go to another site for them. I am not sure who has the problem here.

From a reviewer standpoint, they were just like virtuals. The review process was subjective. As one who lived through some of the review process and the angst that goes with it, I am very happy that I do not have to deal with the "why won't <insert reviewer name> list my webcam" topics or emails anymore.

Apparently we both do. I dont have time or the desire to bounce all over the web trying to find coords of places to go. Why do you say your not sure who has the problem? Think its clear I have a problem with it. I like being taken to places, it doesnt matter to me if I actually write my name on a piece of paper. Going down a unknown road and seeing something new is what I enjoy. And to be able to find these places on one easy to use website is why I pay a membership fee.

You seem to have a "huge" problem dealing with cache submitters though. If the job is so stressful, maybe you shouldnt be doing it. So I take it from this response that webcams are moved due to reviewers hardships? I dont see any other explaination to my question in the post. I guess i expected something more substantial.

As for your last sentence:

Or is it more about having another site to generate more advertising revenue?
Would you mind telling everyone where these revenue generating ads are on the Waymarking site please? sign0069.gif<_<:huh:

Perhaps you should actually visit the site before you fling criticism.

Looks like a question to me...not a statement. How is asking a question being critical? Critical is saying I have a "huge" problem and that I'm flinging criticism. Ads are not there now, obviously. But its pretty rare a free website thats generating hits stays ad free. Last I heard it costs money to run websites. Im sure it was cheaper to develop a whole new website than to modify GC.com to deal with virtuals better right? What is funding Waypoint.com anyway?

I really like Sanruft's post in another thread and perhaps words my thoughts better.

I am still unclear as to why Groundspeak moved ANY type of cache away from the Geocaching website. Geocaching is just a hobby/game. There are no prizes to win and everyone plays the "game" the way it fits their likes, schedules, lifestyles, etc...So if someone does not like virtuals, then they don't do them. The same holds true for terrain, public places, remote places, and so on. Personally, I never really cared for locationless caches but I liked having the option to do them should I want to. (or NOT do them!) I know many people that hate micro caches, but they appreciate the option of being able to do them as well.