Where can I get 35mm Film Canisters?

ZoomLens

I'm trying to get hold of a large number of 35mm film canisters, and am not finding it easy. I don't want to give too much away, but they are not for micro caches - but I do need over a hundred.

I've been to Jessops and asked - they reply was "we don't collect them anymore" and they could only give me four... this is going to take a long time!

I know I can get them from the US on ebay, but the only people selling them in large quantities don't take paypal, and the rest are overpriced on delivery. I'm generally not having much luck and wondered if anyone had any ideas.

Thanks

ZoomLens :mad:

Our local supermarket does photo processing, I asked if they had any. They said they saved them for a local school . but was welcome to some and gave me a bag with easily over a two hundred in, I passed them back to the assistant with a big thanks as I only wanted six! Try your local Supermarket! :mad:

I had heard that Boots were no longer giving them out, but when I went in for some a few weeks back, I got a huge sackful! I'm also needing a huge amount for something (but can't say what and no John (Bolas Heathens) not for the same purpose as you :( so I asked the nice man at the photo processing booth in Sainsburys if he could start saving them for me and I am collecting them this weekend. :( I did purchase a couple of key tags and a photo album though before asking, just to appease him. Liane :mad:

I got tons of them when I asked at 3 different local Jessops shops. Sounds like you may be planning to use them in a similar way to how I used them :mad:

Presumably "What the Heck" from the description... It sounds like the idea is similar, but mine is a little different... I've had it at the back of my mind for ages, and just need to get on and do it now.

I'm trying to get hold of a large number of 35mm film canisters, and am not finding it easy. I don't want to give too much away, but they are not for micro caches - but I do need over a hundred.

I've been to Jessops and asked - they reply was "we don't collect them anymore" and they could only give me four... this is going to take a long time!

I know I can get them from the US on ebay, but the only people selling them in large quantities don't take paypal, and the rest are overpriced on delivery. I'm generally not having much luck and wondered if anyone had any ideas.

Thanks

ZoomLens :mad:

I've found loads around here in trees, up trees, behind trees, under trees, same goes for gorse bushes and bits of old wall, usually they have a bit a paper and a very small pencil in them, I just chuck those bits away and keep the pots, I'll forward some on if you like. :(

I've found loads around here in trees, up trees, behind trees, under trees, same goes for gorse bushes and bits of old wall, usually they have a bit a paper and a very small pencil in them, I just chuck those bits away and keep the pots, I'll forward some on if you like. :mad:

Hmmmm.... I'm not sure I would be too popular if I did that... although some people might be glad for the lower number of micros around... a mico cull perhaps?

ZoomLens

..........but they are not for micro caches - but I do need over a hundred.

Thank goodness for that :mad:

... although some people might be glad for the lower number of micros around... a mico cull perhaps?

What a splendid idea... I'd offer a small prize for the one who 'culls' the most :(

When I started, I wondered why people were so anti-micro... but I see why now. They're just a bit boring. I do think they have their place though.

Of my three caches placed so far, two are micros and one is a nano. The first micro is in my office car park/garden... so in theory I can see cachers if they come in the day... I've only seen one so far.

The second is placed in an area of enormous foot traffic, so the difficulty is getting it without being seen... so I think that it justifies being a micro.

The third is a nano - really very small indeed, and in a very busy area with cars and foot traffic - so again it's urban ninja territory.

I am a bit bored now though.... it's just difficult to find suitable woodland around here that doesn't already have a cache.

ZL

I picked up loads from Jessops recently who said - ah yes, a bloke who said he was a cacher picks these up too. Anyway, I've sorted them, gave my son's school the non-waterproof and the clear variety and kept the best ones...trouble is I still have zillions of them which I dont need. Perhaps I'll start bringing them along to events with a sign attached - 'help yourself!' :P

Let me guess... you're going to put them in an ammo box and when people find it, they have to identify the right 2 or 3 canisters for the next stage?

(It's just that I've found two caches like that in the last three months...)

Our local supermarket does photo processing, I asked if they had any. They said they saved them for a local school . but was welcome to some and gave me a bag with easily over a two hundred in, I passed them back to the assistant with a big thanks as I only wanted six! Try your local Supermarket! :tired:

Same thing happened to me in our local Jessops. He handed over a huge carrier bag full. I only wanted half a dozen and gave him the rest back. I think the request for them to save them for you is an excellent idea as well.

I have also discovered that the little pots which diabetics' test strips come in make excellent cache containers. They have flip lids which snap down really tight! :ph34r:

I have found that when asked what you want to do with them you say junk modelling it keeps them happy. I was asked in Boots in Weymouth if I was going to use them to store food items and when I said no junk modelling I walked out with a carrier bag full - most of which did in fact end up being used for junk modelling but at least one has found an alternative use as a micro cache. :(

Do you know any diabetics? They have to use testing strips for blood monitoring (stay with me, you will soon see where this is going) which from many suppliers are contained in small 35mm size white containers with attached lid - any of thecheekygirl micro caches are found in such containers. As the lid is attached I find it better than a 35mm container, it is also totally watertight and airtight. So, question any known diabetics, or ask at a chemist perhaps? Hope this helps. Butttercup. :D

I have found that when asked what you want to do with them you say junk modelling it keeps them happy. I was asked in Boots in Weymouth if I was going to use them to store food items and when I said no junk modelling I walked out with a carrier bag full - most of which did in fact end up being used for junk modelling but at least one has found an alternative use as a micro cache. :D

Junk Modelling???? :D

Is that a huge Chinese boat made from 35 mm containers? :D

Do you know any diabetics? They have to use testing strips for blood monitoring (stay with me, you will soon see where this is going) which from many suppliers are contained in small 35mm size white containers with attached lid - any of thecheekygirl micro caches are found in such containers. As the lid is attached I find it better than a 35mm container, it is also totally watertight and airtight. So, question any known diabetics, or ask at a chemist perhaps? Hope this helps. Butttercup. :D

I swear there's an echo in here :blink:

I'm not really too keen on giving away the idea behing the cache - but that's not how the cache is going to be...

Keep trying!

Large barrel with holes in the sides you fill with water till the correct one floats to the top ?

Hmmm... I think I should rename this thread and get people to guess what my ideas are - it'll get me a whole heap of great ideas to use... say goodbye to my sense of creativity - who needs it when I've got you guys!!!!

It's not that though, by the way. Although I have thought of a water based cache...

The trouble with a "Large Barrel" would be finding a place suitable that would avoid muggles... Easy in the US, or some more remote parts of the UK, but try finding something like that around Birmingham!!!

Keep Trying.

ZL

I'm concerned that so many people want all these film containers :laughing: . Perhaps Jessops et al will realise there is huge demand and apply the rules of supply and demand and start to charge. This will means proper sized cache containers will become cheaper by comparison and therefore nobody will every place a 35mm again - :laughing::ph34r::mad:.