Retire Tracking Bug

Blu - Matthews NC

Suggestion - add a feature to retire tracking bugs. Some bugs have an unlimited mission, while others have a mission that has an end point. The site allows to log a bug as missing but does not have a feature to retire a tracking bug. I suggest creating the capability to retire a TB if it completes its mission. I also suggest the ability to take a bug out of retirement.

Privacy violation.

I don't want my home coordinates attached to any logs :(

Might as well just set it to an unknown location - hey guess what - we already have that functionality! :mad:

I like the idea of this. Although i'm fairly new and it would be several years before any of the bugs I have/intend to have reach this stage. H aving a retired function will mean that, yes, move it to an unknown location but this implies it it lost. Retired would show that it has succeeded and is now off the road without suggesting it is no-where to be found. Like StarBrand says, any watchers would then know they can stop watching and waiting for it to reappear.

Additional thoughts and glad to see a few like the idea.

1. Listing a bug as missing after it completes its mission and returns home has a feeling that the bug is missing and lost. I like the missing status for bugs that are truly missing. Therefore, I interpret missing as lost in the wild, no one knows where they are and hopefully cachers will be on the look out for them.

2. Showing a bug with a status of retirement basically means the bug has completed his mission and has returned home safe and sound and out of circulation. The last cache could be the end-point but not list the bug in the inventory of the cache where it was pulled out of for retirement. Therefore the bug could still have its history.

3. As with my previous note, - just as in professional sports and in business, not uncommon that someone comes out of retirement. Therefore, the bug could go back into circulation with a new mission. Since it is probable the bug will be placed in a cache other than where it retired from, the system would need to keep the old travel history as well as the new. Two ways to address mileage: 1) just have it continue as technically speaking it did travel the distance between where it went into retirment and where it came out of retirmement or 2) don't count the mileage between the cache it retired from and the cache that it ended up in when it comes out of retirement.

4. Lastly - when a bug goes into retirement, it should still be listed in the inventory just in case you want to take it out of retirement. However - it should not be included in the list box of bugs when you log a find to a cache. Reason: if you have a bunch of bugs that are retired, the list could be rather large when the bugs are sitting on shelf in retirement status.

Suggestion - add a feature to retire tracking bugs. Some bugs have an unlimited mission, while others have a mission that has an end point. The site allows to log a bug as missing but does not have a feature to retire a tracking bug. I suggest creating the capability to retire a TB if it completes its mission. I also suggest the ability to take a bug out of retirement.

Hi,

why don't you grab the TB. You can change the description Page of your TB so it describes all the adventures and achievments of your TB probably even remame it like "RT-TB Name" So the retirees are nicely listed together.

Don't forget, many users are a bit challenged already with all the functions and types of logs with a TB, just make it easy.

GermanSailor

Mark it as completed and out of circulation - give final coordinates (my home).

Create a cache listing with coordinates of your home (maybe called "Home Sweet Home" or something equally corny), or wherever else you want if you are concerned about someone figuring it out (not that they can with this approach), but don't ever submit it for approval. Log the bug into it et voilà

Create a cache listing with coordinates of your home (maybe called "Home Sweet Home" or something equally corny), or wherever else you want if you are concerned about someone figuring it out (not that they can with this approach), but don't ever submit it for approval. Log the bug into it et voilà

I beg to differ, you still need to be careful with even this approach,

if you are concerned about the privacy aspect,

it is still very possible to find the coordinates of any cache (yes, even un-published geocaches) if it has even a single Trackable dropped in it.

Edited: For clarification

Edited by MrCOgeo

why don't you grab the TB. You can change the description Page of your TB so it describes all the adventures and achievments of your TB probably even remame it like "RT-TB Name" So the retirees are nicely listed together.

Don't forget, many users are a bit challenged already with all the functions and types of logs with a TB, just make it easy.

GermanSailor

At the moment, my plan is to put in red font that TB has retired. But still think a retired status would be nice. As well and Glenn says it well, to eliminate the clutter in the owners list. I would think that if someone is able to send a bug in the wild, they should be able to handle this additional functionality.

I just decided to start brigning my retired bug to events, and continue adding mileage. I just noted on the page that he had completed his goal (backin 05). Now I just added that Ill be taking him around.

It would be nice tho to have to retirement setting- I would have/will use it

I beg to differ, you still need to be careful with even this approach,

if you are concerned about the privacy aspect,

it is still very possible to find the coordinates of any cache (yes, even un-published geocaches) if it has even a single Trackable dropped in it.

Edited: For clarification

So obfuscate the coordinates as I suggested if you are really paranoid

The very best option is to adopt your TB out to me.

You can keep the original tag and the attached traveling item.

It won’t be in your drop inventory or your trackables inventory.

And you won’t get any emails when I re-release it with a homemade tag, new goal, and attached traveler.

Your dreams really can come true!

Do it now, before this offer runs out.