5 Basic US Topo/Garmin Map ?s for 60Cx

purdue1014

Wow, I have learned a lot from this forum from just lurking for a week or so. I am in need of some maps for the Garmin 60Cx. My questions:

1. My primary use for the 60CX is for geocaching, hiking, and a little kayaking in various regions of the U.S. It would seem that the following listing would be just right for me, correct? I already have TOM TOM for my PDA.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-10215-12-...p;s=electronics

2. Is the above listing the most current US Topo out there?

3. I have heard that the US Topo is not so great in its accuracy, is there something out there that would be better? Am I right in believing that only Garmin maps will work on Garmin GPSrs?

4. With the new Delorme (sp) GPSr being released, is there any news that Garmin is going to release a new, maybe better or cheaper map(s)?

5. With the US Topo above, if needed, can I do auto navigation? If I have my terminology right, would I mark my destination and starting point as a waypoint and navigate b/w them...?

Thanks for your help and time,

Purdue

P S What exactly is a PDA used for in Paperless Caching? To Paperless Cache, could I copy/cut/paste all the needed info, put it in Word, and send that to my cell phone?

Edited by purdue1014

Only Garmin maps will work with Garmin GPS's. That is if you want the map inside the GPS. Plenty of computer maps will work with a GPS and transfer waypoints and routes.

Garmin's topo is a large scale topo map. Not as detailed as quad maps. They do have national park maps that are the same scale as quad maps.

When kayaking try the Lithium batteries. Expensive but so light your GPS will float. (it sort of floats kinda, but not really, with NiMH's and Alkaline).

I haven't seen the new Delorme. Most new GPSs fall short in some critical item. They have one great idea and then don't give you enough memory, or make the arial maps cost so much you would spend another 500.00 bucks on maps etc.

That topo is mostly likely the most recenlt. If it's not Garmin does have an upgrade policy.

Only Garmin maps will work with Garmin GPS's. That is if you want the map inside the GPS. Plenty of computer maps will work with a GPS and transfer waypoints and routes.

Garmin's topo is a large scale topo map. Not as detailed as quad maps. They do have national park maps that are the same scale as quad maps.

When kayaking try the Lithium batteries. Expensive but so light your GPS will float. (it sort of floats kinda, but not really, with NiMH's and Alkaline).

I haven't seen the new Delorme. Most new GPSs fall short in some critical item. They have one great idea and then don't give you enough memory, or make the arial maps cost so much you would spend another 500.00 bucks on maps etc.

That topo is mostly likely the most recenlt. If it's not Garmin does have an upgrade policy.

To see if I understand this correctly, I could make waypoints and routes on the computer using better maps, and transfer those routes to the 60CX. This would be more for setting up routes and planning stuff ahead of time, correct?

Thanks for the battery and update info,

Purdue

To see if I understand this correctly, I could make waypoints and routes on the computer using better maps, and transfer those routes to the 60CX. This would be more for setting up routes and planning stuff ahead of time, correct?

Purdue

Yes, I use Mapsource Topo in my 76CSx since it's the only option if you you don't want to take the time to make custom Topo maps. Mapsource Topo is accurate, just not as detailed as Maps such as National Geographic Topo. I use the NG Topo on my PC for planning or printing out detailed maps. I then download the waypoints or routes I want to the GPSr and then use the installed Mapsource Topo maps on the GPSr to navigate. For the US, Mapsource Topo does not "auto route" like the City Navigator street maps do. With the topo Maps displayed, you can route to a waypoint but it will be a straight line from your current location.

I have found that if I auto route along a mapped dirt road with City Navigator, I can then switch the view to my Topo maps in the GPSr and the auto routing was still active and properly displayed the route following the dirt road. That will only work if the same dirt road is mapped in City Navigator though.

Edited by bgarland

Purdue

Yes, I use Mapsource Topo in my 76CSx since it's the only option if you you don't want to take the time to make custom Topo maps. Mapsource Topo is accurate, just not as detailed as Maps such as National Geographic Topo. I use the NG Topo on my PC for planning or printing out detailed maps. I then download the waypoints or routes I want to the GPSr and then use the installed Mapsource Topo maps on the GPSr to navigate. For the US, Mapsource Topo does not "auto route" like the City Navigator street maps do. With the topo Maps displayed, you can route to a waypoint but it will be a straight line from your current location.

I have found that if I auto route along a mapped dirt road with City Navigator, I can then switch the view to my Topo maps in the GPSr and the auto routing was still active and properly displayed the route following the dirt road. That will only work if the same dirt road is mapped in City Navigator though.

Ok, that makes sense on the downloading, thanks. Auto route is turn by turn directions, correct? US Topo will do the "crows line" shot to the waypoint, and you have to figure out the twists and turns...What exactly is a PDA used for in Paperless Caching? To Paperless Cache, could I copy/cut/paste all the needed info, put it in Word, and send that to my cell phone?

Thanks for your help and time getting me through this,

Purdue

Edited by purdue1014

1. My primary use for the 60CX is for geocaching, hiking, and a little kayaking in various regions of the U.S. It would seem that the following listing would be just right for me, correct? I already have TOM TOM for my PDA.

Yes, MS Topo is what you want for hiking and kayaking

The actual topo maps don't change much. They are based on USGS maps .

3. I have heard that the US Topo is not so great in its accuracy, is there something out there that would be better? Am I right in believing that only Garmin maps will work on Garmin GPSrs?

I've found it to be accurate, but not necessarily up to date. As I mentioned earlier, it is based on USGS maps and they are notoriously out of date in some areas. There is a major highway in my area built 10 years ago that doesn't show on my Mapsource Topo. How up to date your info is will depend on your area and how up to date the USGS maps are for that region.

4. With the new Delorme (sp) GPSr being released, is there any news that Garmin is going to release a new, maybe better or cheaper map(s)?

I haven't heard anything. Even if they do release a better topo map, I doubt it will be cheaper

5. With the US Topo above, if needed, can I do auto navigation? If I have my terminology right, would I mark my destination and starting point as a waypoint and navigate b/w them...?

No. Topo will not autoroute. You will need City Navigator or City Select to do that. It shows most roads and you can use it for driving, but you won't get turn by turn directions.

Yes, MS Topo is what you want for hiking and kayaking

The actual topo maps don't change much. They are based on USGS maps .

I've found it to be accurate, but not necessarily up to date. As I mentioned earlier, it is based on USGS maps and they are notoriously out of date in some areas. There is a major highway in my area built 10 years ago that doesn't show on my Mapsource Topo. How up to date your info is will depend on your area and how up to date the USGS maps are for that region.

I haven't heard anything. Even if they do release a better topo map, I doubt it will be cheaper

No. Topo will not autoroute. You will need City Navigator or City Select to do that. It shows most roads and you can use it for driving, but you won't get turn by turn directions.

Thanks, that all makes sense, and I got it all, except for this...

What exactly is a PDA used for in Paperless Caching? To Paperless Cache, could I copy/cut/paste all the needed info, put it in Word, and send that to my cell phone?

Thanks a lot,

Brent Seus

What exactly is a PDA used for in Paperless Caching? To Paperless Cache, could I copy/cut/paste all the needed info, put it in Word, and send that to my cell phone?

Thanks a lot,

Brent Seus

Firstly, you might look into Garmin's National Parks Topo (detailed and it includes a lot of area not actually in the parks, too).

Secondly, PDAs are used to download the entire content of unlimited numbers of caches, usually via CacheMate (and often via GSAK). You would need to be a premium member to access this option, then purchase CacheMate for $8 . These niceties would also enable you to download up to 1000 caches into your GPS in one click. A couple of minutes and you would have 1000 caches and the detailed cache pages for same in your GPSr and PDA. Now you're paperless.

Thanks a lot,

Brent Seus

Firstly, you might look into Garmin's National Parks Topo (detailed and it includes a lot of area not actually in the parks, too).

Secondly, PDAs are used to download the entire content of unlimited numbers of caches, usually via CacheMate (and often via GSAK). You would need to be a premium member to access this option, then purchase CacheMate for $8 . These niceties would also enable you to download up to 1000 caches into your GPS in one click. A couple of minutes and you would have 1000 caches and the detailed cache pages for same in your GPSr and PDA. Now you're paperless.

Whew, I got it all now, thanks.

Purdue

3. I have heard that the US Topo is not so great in its accuracy, is there something out there that would be better?

Somebody at Garmin sent me an extremely detailed response (impressive) why they didn't have the higher-resolution 1:24,000 maps, except for the national parks, which leads me to believe they're in no hurry to upgrade either the US topo or the National Parks products. However, I read that some people have made their own high-res maps out of publicly available data, which doesn't compute.(?) Garmin's map for the National Park in my area is even missing 30-40% of the park, so I decided to pass on both.