Missing early turn warning, late final turn warning on my 60CSx

pekkka

I've got a problem and I hope that one of the experts here can help me out. I got a 60CSx and like it very much but one annoying thing is, that the early turn warning signal is sometimes missing and that if it's missing, the final warning comes normally too late (50-75m of the center of the crossing, or 5-7 seconds before the turn) to change on the right lane. Is there something that I could do to get always (or nearly always) the early turn warning? I hope my english is not too bad and thank you in advance.

Best wishes from Germany,

pekkka

Sometimes if there are turns very close together, I don't hear the early warning either, and the Turn NOW bell sometimes comes too late. Usually this only happens in an urban area with a couple quick, very close turns, or if the unit is recalculating as I approach a turn.

What version of the mapping software are you using? I have City Navigator North America 8 NT. Not sure if that would make a difference, but I suppose it could...

Sometimes if there are turns very close together, I don't hear the early warning either, and the Turn NOW bell sometimes comes too late. Usually this only happens in an urban area with a couple quick, very close turns, or if the unit is recalculating as I approach a turn.

Well, it would be OK for me, if it would only happen in these cases. But as edited later in the last post, it happens even if there is no turn for kilometers.

What version of the mapping software are you using? I have City Navigator North America 8 NT. Not sure if that would make a difference, but I suppose it could...

I'm using the metroguide europe v7 made routable by transfering the map data with sendmap. The sirf firmware is 2.90 the firmware of the device is 3.00.

Edited by pekkka

Hello Pekkka

It might be interesting for you to read a topic I started on what I think is a similar problem here

I have a Vista C and a Vista Cx. I can't get the Cx to do the turn warning like the C does.

The comments in the latest post at the end by kiwitonita may also be of interest to you.

I have contacted Garmin about this but have yet to get anything usefull back, (except to turn the setting "next turn pop-up" to "on" - which I knew anyway).

I am now pretty much convinced that for some reason this feature has been dropped or lost in the "x" models.

I too would very much like it back as it is the most usefull of features when navigating around on a motorbike, and if you don't want it there has always been the option to turn it off anyway.

Maybe send a complaint/question of directly to Garmin. If they get enough they might fix it

Cheers

From NZ

Robanzac, I think Pekkka's problem is quite different from yours. Pekkka is describing problems whilst autorouting, whereas the frustration you describe I think relates to navigating a route? The GPSr is in quite different modes when performing these two functions.

Pekkka, I did try out Garmin Nuvi 350 for a short while that seemed to exhibit the same lack of consistency you describe in giving advance warning of turns. I rejected the unit for this (and other reasons). I have a 60CSx now, and use TOPO GB for autorouting. So far it has been excellent at giving sufficient warning of turns. It even gives the warning earlier when driving faster. It may be worth you trying to re-load the firmware for the GPSr, to see if this clears the problem.

Well, it would be OK for me, if it would only happen in these cases. But as edited later in the last post, it happens even if there is no turn for kilometers.

I'm using the metroguide europe v7 made routable by transfering the map data with sendmap. The sirf firmware is 2.90 the firmware of the device is 3.00.

Sorry just seen this, you have the most current. Might be the area you have your gps located and direction of travel.

So you're using non-auto routable maps, making them auto-routable with a 3rd party program, and having problems... do I have that right? If so, I wonder whether others using a legitimate auto-routing Garmin map product are having any trouble. If you're working with hacked maps to begin with, I'd venture to guess that may be a large part of your problem. I don't experience the same problems with my unit (except with close turns, as I mentioned) but I'm running a legitimate auto-routing Garmin product (City Nav North America v8 NT)

So you're using non-auto routable maps, making them auto-routable with a 3rd party program, and having problems... do I have that right?

The maps themselve are routable. The only thing I do, is to send the maps not with Mapsource to the device but with sendmap. I do not manipulate the maps in any way. Mapsource deletes the routing information out of the maps as a part of the transferring process to the device. I was told that the maps are exactly the same like the CS7. In addition other people using the CN8 maps are discussing the same problem in a german forum here. That's why I think it's not a problem of this unusual MG solution. Do you really always get 2 turn information pop ups if you are far enough away from the turn (in town I'd say a mile or more)?

Thank you all for your answers, I really appreciate this! Now I have to read a little bit more and I will try the reset.

Bye, bye,

pekkka

Edited by pekkka

I was told that the maps are exactly the same like the CS7. In addition other people using the CN8 maps are discussing the same problem in a german forum here. That's why I think it's not a problem of this unusual MG solution. Do you really always get 2 turn information pop ups if you are far enough away from the turn (in town I'd say a mile or more)?

I'm not sure what you mean by "pop up". I get the initial warning beep, and the screen zooms in to show which way I'll be turning. Then, a short time later as i approach the turn, I get the "Turn Now" beep and the map again zooms in so I can better see the turn. I don't see any pop ups, but the screen does zoom twice. I tyipcally keep 3 data fields on my Map screen all the time, 1 for Distance to next, one for Distance to Final, and then third, larger box for the name of the street I'm on, or will be turning on. Maybe I don't see what you're seeing because I have mine set up differently?

Pekkka is right to refer to the junction previews as a pop-ups. They are static screen shots of the next junction/road feature. Strictly speaking, the map is not zooming in, it is just showing a static image at a preset zoom level which may be different from the zoom level that you have chosen when auto-routing.

In my experience they can on the odd occasion be confusing, as the screen image changes from track up (my preference) to a fixed orientation at the junction/feature.

If the software is functioning properly, and there is sufficient distance between road features, there should always be an early warning beep + pop-up, then a turn now beep + pop-up.

I'm not sure what you mean by "pop up". I get the initial warning beep, and the screen zooms in to show which way I'll be turning.

That's exactly what I mean and that's what Garmin calls pop-up in the manual so I thougt it would be right to call it how they named it (Manual page 72).

I have a Map76CSx running City Nav 8. I have no problems with my early warnings for upcoming turns. They consistantly work fine.

Is there someone else out there who get's his early next-turn-warnings regularly if he or she is far enough away of the turn/junction? I made a complete reset of the unit with enter/page/power and as a result I get the early warning not every time but more often - dunno why, but that's the way it is, better, but still not perfect.

I made another interesting observation: In the moment when the early warning should appear (and does not appear) the guidance text changes to a turn-instruction for the next junction. It changes from something like 'Forreststreet to Hillstreet' to an instruction like ''Left on Hillstreet". The guidance text of the unit responds to the fact that the unit gets closer to the next turn, but the early turn warning does not... Is it the intention of Garmin to skip the early turn warning in some cases???

Very strange... is there someone who can retrace this behaviour on its own unit?

Edited by pekkka

On my 60CX I use Metroguide V7 made routable using this product http://www.geodude.nl/gps/

I found it to work nicely, giving early warning turn that seems to be computed according to ths driving speed as it can be from hundred of meters to K. Late warning is yes usuall less than 100m but usualy enogu unless you drive real fast (no peed limit inGermany ? <_< ).

Note that I selected the loudest tone for the early warning as the default is too low.

I have used it in France, Ireland, Belgium, Lux, Germany, country and big cities.