My first geo video

briansnat

Got a video camera last month and finallya firewire card in my PC this morning, so I started playing around and I came up with this. Yeah, its long. I Knocked it down from an hour, but I guess I didn't have the time to make it shorter. Youtube wouldn't accept it because the file was too big. I can see how this can get addicting though.

Here goes.

Got a video camera last month and finallya firewire card in my PC this morning, so I started playing around and I came up with this. Yeah, its long. I Knocked it down from an hour, but I guess I didn't have the time to make it shorter. Youtube wouldn't accept it because the file was too big. I can see how this can get addicting though.

Here goes.

I watched a couple of minutes of it and I'll have to watch the rest later when I'm home from work.... What I watched so far looks interesting! My only suggestion would be to lower the music volume a tad when you are talking. Also did you try uploading to Google Video? Maybe they take larger files? Not sure but I figured I'd mention it! Anyhow, I really like watching these videos. They are so much better than photos! Thanks for sharing your video! :mad: Edited by TrailGators

Nifty stuff! Only able to watch the first few minutes (darn work! I'll have to finish it at home tonight)...

That's a good opening, showing a cacher with enough water to stay hydrated, and with a backpack that doubtless holds 'the right stuff' for hiking in her neck of the woods. I can see however that you've already spawned a new debate in some households -

'briansnat's caching partner carries her own water - why can't you?' :mad:

(Note - Mrs NW always carries her own gear up here in Alaska, water & firearm included!)

Seriously - this is a 'next wave' thing in our game - virtual caching via video. It's a step up from just seeing the photos that accompany good logs, and it's going to help folks get up the gumption to hike out after some caches they'd not chase otherwise. Kudos for being on the leading edge of a new communication methodology!

I've resorted to making a couple of projects using windows movie maker, pictures and my lovely voice. I added the pictures (fade in/out) added my narration and streched the pictures to display as long as needed (normally the length of narration), added some nice music and saved it as a video CD (no DVD burner) - what a PITA but when all was said and done it came out pretty well just using pictures.

What's my point - well if you dont have the fancy equipment all you need is a picture file and a microphone and you too can be a movie director good enough for youtube.

Has anyone used a video file (link) as part of a multi or puzzle cache?

nice job on the video :mad:

I know you probably just did it for dramatic effect, but next time lose the phoney eastern accent. It's not impressing anyone.

I can't hear the National Geographic theme song without thinking of Albert Brooks and Dan Ackroyd in the car at the beginning of the Twilight Zone movie. "Look at this old bone, this could be worth some bucks!"

Bret

Here goes.

briansnat, you could break it into a few smaller files and put it onto youtube. (ie: Part I, Part II, Part III)

Nice first video. I am a videographer/editor on the side of my regular job. A few suggestions: music volume like others have said. Also slower pans & maybe a monopod to help steady your shot. It could also double as a walking stick. You can find them for around 20 bucks. This video has inspired me to shoot one of my own. Thanks

Edit for link

Edited by Team Merlin

I can't hear the National Geographic theme song without thinking of Albert Brooks and Dan Ackroyd in the car at the beginning of the Twilight Zone movie. "Look at this old bone, this could be worth some bucks!"

:tired: I thought the same thing! :ph34r:

"Look at that old man, he looks just like an ape!"

I too have just watched the first few minutes but like what I see so far.

On the other hand, I know that music from somewhere? I just can not place where.

Jim

Kc8bdr

Its the theme from the old National Geographic Explorer TV show. I thought it was funny.

"Float On" from Modest Mouse :(

Thanks for taking the time to post it up!

Edited by Mr. & Mrs. Lighteye

Cool video. Makes me want to do something like that.

A few suggestions: It would benefit by being shorter. I know, you want to include all the scenery and comments, but figure out which are really important. Show us the highlights.

As others have said, it's very hard to hear the commentary over the clever music.

Editing note: in the first scene, Skigirl says we're going to watch Brian for a little bit, but then the next shot is of Skigirl again. No complaints, but this would be pointed out as a continuity error on IMDB.

More action shots. We want to see Skigirl climbing trees or Brian wading through thick mud.

Now, I'll see if I can remember any of this when I make a geocaching video.

Jamie

"Has anyone used a video file (link) as part of a multi or puzzle cache?"

I just released a video I made with other geocachers for GCZTA2 "GeoTales: Believe it or Not"

It is a comedy as well as a puzzle. <_<

You need to be a premium member to access the cache page:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...96-bab213fc0a78

Or you can view it directly on YouTube at:

Here goes.

I just get a video saying "please try again"...so i did....no joy...

--MGb

I don't have a fancy video camera like briansnat, but using a couple of crayons and some sound effects, I did manage to put together the following masterpiece.

How to Geocache - Lesson #6: Why Proper Logging Is Important

Slow start, big finish. Some violence, parental discretion is advised. I'd like to thank the Academy, my family and friends, and especially my fans. Without you, none of this would have been possible. Thank you. Thank you very much.

An Aussie cacher Spindoc Bob has been doing an Aussie pod cast with audio for a while now, episode 8 just came out a day or so ago.

http://geotalk.libsyn.com/

A few weeks ago, I suggested he did a video version, and geotalk was born, here is our first piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0uNi2qr3MY

We are shooting the next 2 on the same day in 2 weeks, so the next episode should be out within a week. Hope you like the first one. We are going to mainly concentrate on the more "extreme" caching activities, like abseiling ones, hard hikes, and other things. We have a long list of material for the next few episodes.

Cheers