Birmingham / Coventry Meet?

Team Balders

Lots of other people seem to be having get togethers (We're off to Cannock, this Saturday) but there seems very little for that band of very keen cachers in the Coventry / Nuneaton / East Birmingham area.

Would there be enough interest to organise a get together. I've never organised such an event but would be willing to assist (or be assisted by) some other interested party.

Perhaps we could hold it around 10pm in the middle of a field?

Lots of other people seem to be having get togethers (We're off to Cannock, this Saturday) but there seems very little for that band of very keen cachers in the Coventry / Nuneaton / East Birmingham area.

Would there be enough interest to organise a get together. I've never organised such an event but would be willing to assist (or be assisted by) some other interested party.

Count me in. 10pm in a pub sounds better.

Organising an event in a pub is dead easy....

If you want to start off eaily - then do an evening one in an easily accessible pub with plenty of parking and good beer and that won;t have footie / a band / a hoard of wierdos in... you'll wan to be the only weiredos in there!!

Here in Cheshire we do this a lot - tend to kick off about 7pm, but choose somewhere good for food too so that those coming straight from work can meet at 6pm for dinner 1st!

Let us know how you get on!

I have been talking to Mumbo Jumbo recently about this. I'm thinking of having one in Sutton Park in the Spring. There are already two caches in the park, but space for about ten I think... I'm going to go up there in the New Year to scout out locations. There is a pub with a large carpark there, and it would be ideal.

What do you think? Would be great to have some help, Balders - I don't think Mrs ZoomLens is too keen on the scouting!

ZoomLens

Edited by ZoomLens

I have been talking to Mumbo Jumbo recently about this. I'm thinking of having one in Sutton Park in the Spring. There are already two caches in the park, but space for about ten I think... I'm going to go up there in the New Year to scout out locations. There is a pub with a large carpark there, and it would be ideal.

What do you think? Would be great to have some help, Balders - I don't think Mrs ZoomLens is too keen on the scouting!

ZoomLens

2 things to remember.

Cache Saturation

Cache Saturation.

The reviewers use a rule of thumb that caches placed within .10 miles (528 feet or 161 meters) of another cache may not be listed on the site. This is an arbitrary distance and is just a guideline, but the ultimate goal is to reduce the number of caches hidden in a particular area and to reduce confusion that might otherwise result when one cache is found while looking for another. This guideline applies to all stages of multicaches and mystery/puzzle caches, except for any “bogus” posted coordinates for a puzzle cache.

On the same note, don't go cache crazy and hide a cache every 600 feet just because you can. If you want to create a series of caches, the reviewer may require you to create a multi-cache, if the waypoints are close together.

Events may not be organised to hunt caches

In addition, an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache or caches. Such group hunts are best organized using the forums or an email distribution list.

Caches may be submitted and held for publication on the day of the event, but the event may not be organised specifically to hunt them.

If you have any questions or need any advice, Eckington, Lactodorum or myself are contactable through our profiles and all 3 of are will to give as much as is needed. We'd rather deal with any issues now, than when the Event is submitted. Meaning that it gets published as soon as it is reviewed.

Deceangi

Sutton Park is massive - don't worry. There's plenty of space, with different types of terrain and different types of woodland/heathland/marsh - lots of variety.

The aim of the event would be to meet people obviously, but it struck me that an event would be better if it was in a place with plenty of caches for people to get. The two things go hand in hand - Sutton Park is a great place for meeting and would be a great place for more caches - Publishing the caches on the day would just ensure that people attending the event would be assured of new and full caches in good condition.

Hope this is ok.

ZoomLens

I can organise one in a pub between Leicester and Hinckley if anyone is interested? The pub is 200 years old and there is a nearby travelodge for the overnight stayers (I scouted it out a while ago for just this!) :P

Its easy to get to from Nuneaton and Birmingham as well as from Nottingham and Northampton. If people are interested let me know and I'll go ahead and sort it.

Deceangi

Sutton Park is massive - don't worry. There's plenty of space, with different types of terrain and different types of woodland/heathland/marsh - lots of variety.

The aim of the event would be to meet people obviously, but it struck me that an event would be better if it was in a place with plenty of caches for people to get. The two things go hand in hand - Sutton Park is a great place for meeting and would be a great place for more caches - Publishing the caches on the day would just ensure that people attending the event would be assured of new and full caches in good condition.

Hope this is ok.

ZoomLens

I just did some pre reviewing homework on Sutton Park, PM sent with some advice due to the status of the park. Other than that your initial plans look fine.

I'd been playing with the idea of a meet n greet in the quniton/dudley area one evening. But due to work have not had time to organise.

Maybe in the new year sometime i will get round to it

At the end of the day (until saturday) there has not been a Brum meet since the onces i organised around 4 years ago!

I'm thinking of having one in Sutton Park in the Spring. There are already two caches in the park, but space for about ten I think... I'm going to go up there in the New Year to scout out locations. There is a pub with a large carpark there, and it would be ideal.

What do you think?

ZoomLens

Sutton park sounds like a good spot to me. I was over there lasdt weekend doing Bridge Too Far.

If it goes ahead you can count me in for sure :P

I have just emailed the Park rangers for permission to put a cache there... have to wait and see what they say.

If the man fron Del Monte, he say yeah - then I'll start placing the caches in the early New Year (sorry it's not going to be before then - very busy) with the aim of holding the event in the VERY early Spring...

Caches will be enabled on the day to ensure fresh and full finds for event attendees.

ZL

Who is going to supply the Cuppa-Soups ? :P

I can organise one in a pub between Leicester and Hinckley if anyone is interested? The pub is 200 years old and there is a nearby travelodge for the overnight stayers (I scouted it out a while ago for just this!) :tired:

Its easy to get to from Nuneaton and Birmingham as well as from Nottingham and Northampton. If people are interested let me know and I'll go ahead and sort it.

I might be able to make it to either of the cache events in this thread, in the new year. About time we had some central shenanigans! :ph34r:

How about late January to help us recover from the financial drain that is Christmas :D

A nice warm pub with meals situated on the A47. Easy access from the A5, M6 and M1! This will also be convenient for the other East Midlands cachers and anyone mad enough to come from further away via the M1 :(

Late January - Hmm. Can we somehow avoid 26th Jan as there's a London meet then?