Email Server Problem?

OzGuff

I had a pocket query generate at 11/29/2006 6:29:40 AM (Seattle time). It is now 7:25 AM (Seattle time) and I haven't received the email. Am I being impatient? (OK, so the answer is "Yes" to that question.) But this is a new PQ that hasn't been run before. My email runs through Charter Communications (@charter.net) and I have checked the online email to see if it got hung up in a Spam filter. (It didn't.)

Anyone? Anyone?

Thanks!

Charter is either throttling us or they're having server problems. There's a small backlog of email for Charter and they're only accepting around 30 to 50 emails per hour from us which is a bit less than the amount of email we generate for Charter customers each hour. It appears this started around 24 hours ago.

You'll need to contact Charter's support department to see if they're having server trouble or if they're intentionally throttling our mail.

:D Elias

I've noticed a forum subscription isn't generateing emails, or I'm not getting them. Either way something is up.

The forums sent you two emails today, both of which were successfully delivered. Did you not receive those or were you expecting to get more?

:D Elias

I've noticed a forum subscription isn't generateing emails, or I'm not getting them. Either way something is up.

The forums sent you two emails today, both of which were successfully delivered. Did you not receive those or were you expecting to get more?

:mad: Elias

I didn't get either. However I did get a test email sent from work. Looking at the webhost there is about 190gb of emails pushing the account over the limit. However I can't see those emails either to delete them. I think the heavy SPAM traffic has taken the toll.

Since the problem is on my end I'll look into it further. Thanks for confirming that emails are going out.

Here is the result of my online chat with one of Charter's reps, read bottom to top:

Diana: Thank you for using Charter Communications' Chat Support. Have a nice day!

Chris: nope

Diana: You're welcome. Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Chris: okay, thank you.

Diana: We have been experiencing issues with the mail servers lately but this issue has not been affecting all customers. It is possible that your account is being impacted and we are working to correct this issue. Unfortunately at this time we do not have a time frame for resolution. They should keep trying to send you the email.

Chris: All they said is that charter is only accepting about 30 - 50 emails per hour from them to all there users total. They said that Charter may be "throttling" them (not sure what that means) or that Charter may be having server issues. This has been going on for about 3 days now.

Semi thread drift. I'm also a Charter subscriber. I noticed today when I logged the few caches I found I didn't get the normal email flood of my personal TB being dropped and retrieved. Is this related to the problem you have been discussing?

Probably. For the time being I have changed my address on my profile to another email account I have, and then am having the emails forwarded to my charter account. Just a temporary work around...

I started having problems with receiving my pocket querys and getting reports for items on my watch list around 12-29-06. I called Groundspeak and was told about Charter blocking emails from them. I called charter and for the first time calling Charter's tech support got someone offshore. Between the accent and the bad connection I was having a hard time trying to figure out what she was trying to tell me. I don't think she knew too much anyway. The first thing she tried to tell me was because I was using Netscape as my browser that they were my email provider. After I got her straightened out on that, she put me on hold to verify what I was telling her about them blocking emails. When she came back on the line she told me to send an email to unblock@charter.net and tell them that I wanted geocaching.com's emails unblocked. I then asked her if she did verify that they were blocking the emails. She never really gave me a yes or no she just repeated that I should email them and I would get a reply within 48 hours. The 48 hours wont be up until Sunday night, so I really don't expect to hear anything back until at least Monday if I hear at all

Edited by DWBur

I've been having problems since the day after Christmas. I've generated several PQs that show they were sent, but I never received them. To make things even more strange, I actually did receive 2 of the PQs ( a My Finds PQ and one PQ that I deleted, then regenerated.)

I made a test PQ and sent it to a Yahoo account and received it in just a few minutes. I forwarded it to the Charter account, and it showed up within seconds. I've finally given up on Charter and have just gone to the Yahoo account, since I don't have time to dink around with them. :D

I am having severe problems with my yahoo.com email which is my primary email. I have not received any cache or TB notifications in many days. I've turned off my spam filters, added every something @ geocaching.com email address I can find and have had cachers post notes on TB's and owned caches, nothing.

Can you help?

I have a solution to the missing pocket queries filtered out by charter. I created a new email account from gmail (they don't throttle or filter the email). I made the gmail acount my primary email address from geocaching.com. Gmail allows for free pop mail access, so I added the necessary information to my outlook express, and just like that I get my pocket queries.

This must be a charter problem.......but it will work like this......if you want to go to the trouble.

Also, Gmail is a good email provider who wont greylist. :D

Thanks, I've created a gmail account and re-validated my gc account. It's too bad that yahoo would do that. I've been using them for many, many years without a hitch. Thanks for your help here!

As stated in thispost by Elias, Yahoo has greylisted GC.com and aren't allowing all emails to be processed like they should be.

That's strange, I received a PQ and three notifications on caches from Yahoo just this morning.

Edited by DWBur