2007 California State Geocoin Project

The Dillon Gang

I'd like to stay away from the "cliche" icons if we could: Golden Gate bridge, Hollywood sign, Governator, etc.

I like the idea of a N. Ca side and a S. Ca side somehow. Maybe find a way to use the state flag as a background image (like a watermark) with other things on top?

Thanks DG!

Have I mentioned how crazy you are for taking this on again!? Thanks DG for doing it, AGAIN!

I would also add that I'd try and stay away from stuff that's already been done, earthquake faults, bridges, etc., I think there is enough in CA that it could be something totally unique.

The N/S-battling sides could be fun.

There's always Bodie! :D

Have I mentioned how crazy you are for taking this on again!? Thanks DG for doing it, AGAIN!

I would also add that I'd try and stay away from stuff that's already been done, earthquake faults, bridges, etc., I think there is enough in CA that it could be something totally unique.

The N/S-battling sides could be fun.

There's always Bodie! :mad:

This one will have more people working on it. Marky is helping out with the cause.

As a fourth-gen Californian, here are some of my thoughts...

North vs South: you'll need to be careful about this. If you live south of the Tehachapis, then everything north of Santa Barbara is Northern California. If you live in the Bay Area, then everything south of Gilroy is Southern California. If you live in the redwoods, then everything south of Ukiah (well, maybe Hopland) is Southern California! No one agrees, which is, of course, part of the fun :D Add to this the fact that those who live east of Fresno want as little to do as possible with either SF or LA :) And no wants anything to do with Sacramento :P

How about something to do with the fact that California is still the largest agricultural country in the world: avocados, nuts of all kinds, garlic, strawberries, oranges and other citrus, row crops of a zillion kinds, olives, cut flowers, apples, apricots and other orchard fruits, tomatoes... the list is almost endless. You might have trouble fitting it all in, but that's why coins have two sides! :D

There are two types of redwoods in California. The Giant Sequoia, or "Big Tree" (Sequoiadendron giganteum) are in the Sierra Nevada, and have, as mentioned, been on at least a couple of coins. The Coast Redwood, (Sequoia sempervirens), grows naturally from Limekiln Canyon, north of Cambria, to just above the Oregon border, within about 50 miles of the Pacific Ocean. As far as I know, this tree has not yet appeared on a geocoin. I would love to see it on one :D The shape and size of these two trees are very different; I have many photos of both and would be happy to share them. As the 2006 edition concentrated upon the western edge of the Basin and Range area, I don't see a problem with having the 2007 edition concentrate upon the "Lost Coast" area. I can think of a number of design elements that would be appropriate: the redwood, of course; Roosevelt Elk; North Coast microbrews; the Trinity Alps and Mt. Shasta (a bit of a stretch, but not much, although maybe that area should have its own coin in future years); the Carson Mansion in Eureka; Petrolia, where the first oil strike in California was made; Ferndale; the logging mill in Scotia; Trinidad and Trinidad Head; Patrick's Point State Park and the other State and National Parks up there; the Skunk Train between Willits and Fort Bragg; Fort Ross and the Russian settlement nearby; the Avenue of the Giants... I think that you could make quite a nice coin with these and other design elements. The hard part will be deciding which to use, not whether there are enough. I have just about all of these in digital photos, so you would not even need to do a lot of trolling, or asking of permission for use of images. Any of mine which you wanted to use I'd be honored to let you use for free, although I suppose I could let you twist my arm into accepting a free coin or two :D:D

That I-80 idea is cool. When you get around to it, make it an interlocking two-coin set, with each bridge on one coin, and a unifying theme on the reverse of both.

I'm rather partial to Southern California myself. (since I was born there and lived there 30 years)

Not exactly sure how it would be implemented. but I love

Coronado, Hotel Del.

World Famous San Diego Zoo, Wild Animal Park

Balboa Park

Julian

Balboa Park

Seaport Village

Sea World

Lego Land, Carlsbad's flower fields are cool.

Edited by Nero

I am a complete outsider (not even in the US!)

When I think of California, I think of the following:

Film Industry

Ocean (SCUBA, San Diego, Ocean City)

Redwoods

Hippies :D - VW Vans, and "other" symbols of the 60's

Spanish Influence

That's pretty broad, but it's an outsiders view. If I saw poppies on a Calicoin I'd have to research it! :D

I've had a few amazing trips to California - San Diego is wonderful and I camped on the beach and under the Redwoods in the north part (just before driving the Oregon coast).

It would be cool to have a coin in which a cacher is walking past some movie equipment by a ticket booth and into an outdoor scene..... "Geocaching: your "ticket" to the outdoors".

Maybe something like "California: Our lame micros in a tree are 1300 years old and 600ft tall!" :P

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog

One of our coins has coastal redwoods on it, but it's not trackable, we've done a poppy one as well for a spring coin (also not trackable).

You are so right chaos about the N/S line issues, which is why it would be so fun to play with, cuz nobody can agree! And Fresno, well they just need their own coin!

Hippies :P - VW Vans, and "other" symbols of the 60's

Oh, now *there's* an idea with a lot of possibilities! People's Park and Surf Music, Haight-Ashbury and psychedelic art: groovy! Of course, we'd also have a lot of negative images, so maybe this won't be so good...

The Spanish Influence idea has a lot going for it, too: the Missions would be a logical jumping-off point.

Hula Bum: Do you have a photo somewhere of your non-trackable coin with a redwood on it? A Fresno coin... I can see it now: "Raisin' a Geo-Ruckus" :D :D :D If it wasn't still under copyright, they could put, "I heard it through the Grapevine" on the back! Sounds like a good event theme, though :)

Edited by chaosmanor

That's pretty broad, but it's an outsiders view. If I saw poppies on a Calicoin I'd have to research it! :D

Here's the GBA Spring coin with poppies - Marky also did a micro in the shape of a poppy:

img1740wincewh5.jpg

It would be cool to have a coin in which a cacher is walking past some movie equipment by a ticket booth and into an outdoor scene..... "Geocaching: your "ticket" to the outdoors".

That's an awesome idea and great visual/slogan!

Maybe something like "California: Our lame micros in a tree are 1300 years old and 600ft tall!" :P

That's good, too LFD - you're on a roll.

Hula Bum: Do you have a photo somewhere of your non-trackable coin with a redwood on it?

Here's the back of the coin - taken directly from a picture next to Henry Cowell State Park - home of the Redwoods (and heck on reception!):

img1723winceaq0.jpg

Hula Bum: Do you have a photo somewhere of your non-trackable coin with a redwood on it?

Here's the back of the coin - taken directly from a picture next to Henry Cowell State Park - home of the Redwoods (and heck on reception!):

img1723winceaq0.jpg

Oh, wow! That's a great coin :D We've camped at Henry Cowell, and taken a number of walks on the trails near the Visitor Center with our girls when they were young. Yes, reception can be terrible in there; we've not found more caches than we've found :P:D I don't suppose anyone has one of those coins that they would be willing to part with? I can't recall ever seeing it listed on any trade lists. Thanks for posting the picture, kealia! :D

A tie-dye coin! THAT would be a hoot!

"Take a California Trip - to the great outdoors!"

<edit> - you could even "hide" little ammo cans, GPSr's, and other cache items in the paisly art, man.

Of course, California is so much more than the 60's, but it's a very artisticly rich area. In fact, I tend to think more "free spirit" when I think California. High-tech rebels, etc, etc.

It must be frustrating for folks living in California to always be associated with Hippies and Disneyland -- sort of like us Canadians always being associated with moose and beer.....I mean, it's *true*, but that's not the point. :P

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog

Southern Ca has Disney, Hollywood, awesome beaches and surfing, desert...

Northern Ca has Mountains, skiing, Alcatraz, gold country, lighthouses...

Central Ca has mostly agriculture...Fresno has Raisins. Tulare County has corn, oranges, cotton and cows (dairy mostly). I am sure Nutlady can chime in with more from that area since she still lives there.

So many directions we could go with this coin and so little surface space to work with!! :P

I like this idea paired up with the agricultural idea..

what about agriculture on one side and tech on the other? we are strong in both here in california.

could be movie on one side and outdoors on the other.....with the cacher holding the ticket or it in his backpack

Edited by The Dillon Gang

That I-80 idea is cool. When you get around to it, make it an interlocking two-coin set, with each bridge on one coin, and a unifying theme on the reverse of both.

NIIIICEEE! on it now!!! will be productoin with oakcoins.com

8e1bf481-cca4-408a-8090-7462ad93c026.jpg

put on the edge of the coin the states it runs through.

Edited by The Dillon Gang

Since the first coin focused on the Eastern part of the state, I like the idea of highlighting the coast. Maybe a theme of "California Dreamin'", with one side depicting a beach and surfing, while the other side has something centered on Hollywood. In one sense, many people dream of coming to California (for the sun/beaches), and Hollywood is kind of a place that makes dreams come true through film. I know it is pretty cliche though.

I lived in San Diego for several years, so here's my two cents.

The N/S idea is perfect.

For the North, I would suggest using Mt. Shasta. It's about as far north as you can get without finding yourself in Oregon.

For the South, I think either the Del Coronado, or the old Santa Fe train station in San Diego.

The GG bridge has been used, and so has surfing. I would stay away from them, and any other "touristy" type thing.

I lived in San Diego for several years, so here's my two cents.

The N/S idea is perfect.

For the North, I would suggest using Mt. Shasta. It's about as far north as you can get without finding yourself in Oregon.

For the South, I think either the Del Coronado, or the old Santa Fe train station in San Diego.

The GG bridge has been used, and so has surfing. I would stay away from them, and any other "touristy" type thing.

Yes! Mt. Shasta one side.

I've never seen it, but my wife used to live in Northern Ca (Yreka)and says she could see it from her Bedroom Window. Nice..

Hotel Del on the other. I like that...

I have seen The Hotel Del, I love the beach there. just a mile walk across sand to get to the water (ok not REALLY, but far)

Um, we are the nations #1 agriculture state, recently becoming the #1 dairy state (sorry Wisconsin)and also the leading producer of about 150 different crops and agriculture products.

Of course, not too many people know this. How about educating them?

D

I think you just did, in triplicate!! :laughing::laughing:B) Don't you just love it when that happens? :laughing:

OK, DG! You should have more than enough ideas, now, for at least a preliminary design that we all can start to pick at :unsure: Glad you liked our two-part I-80 idea; the preliminary design looks pretty good :laughing:

Um, we are the nations #1 agriculture state, recently becoming the #1 dairy state (sorry Wisconsin)and also the leading producer of about 150 different crops and agriculture products.

Of course, not too many people know this. How about educating them?

D

Totally concur! The food comes from somewhere before it hits the supermarket!

A tie-dye coin! THAT would be a hoot!

"Take a California Trip - to the great outdoors!"

<edit> - you could even "hide" little ammo cans, GPSr's, and other cache items in the paisly art, man.

Of course, California is so much more than the 60's, but it's a very artisticly rich area. In fact, I tend to think more "free spirit" when I think California. High-tech rebels, etc, etc.

It must be frustrating for folks living in California to always be associated with Hippies and Disneyland -- sort of like us Canadians always being associated with moose and beer.....I mean, it's *true*, but that's not the point. <_<

was actually thinking more about this one....how bout a 60's coin with Haight Ashbury /woodstock. and do it in tye dye colors

take a geo trip man or Geo-Tripping