Other Side of the World

Sommers

This is a ridiculas question but sometimes i wonder whats the furthest away ic ould be from here on this planet. If i were to change the "N" to an "S" and the "W" to an"E" would it be the coordinates of whats directly on the the otherside of the Earth...seems obvious but is it?

If i were to change the "N" to an "S" and the "W" to an"E" would it be the coordinates of whats directly on the the otherside of the Earth...seems obvious but is it?

Swapping N with S and W with E won't give you the location on the other side of the globe furthest from you, at least for most spots on the planet.

You can see why this doesn't work if you consider the location on the equator off the west coast of Africa at the prime meridian (coordinates N 00 00.000 W 00.000). Do the N-S, W-E swap, and you end up in the same place. Move a mile to the northwest of this spot, do the N-S, W-E swap, and you end up a mile to the southeast of this spot.

edit: wording

Edited by cache_test_dummies

If i were to change the "N" to an "S" and the "W" to an"E" would it be the coordinates of whats directly on the the otherside of the Earth...seems obvious but is it?

Almost. Swap N and S, but then do this:

• if you're at a W longitude, use E (180-your_longitude)
  • if you're at a E longitude, use W (180-your_longitude)

For example, I'm in Northern Florida at approx. [N 30, W 84], so the point on the opposite side of the earth is in the Indian Ocean west of Australia, at [s 30, E (180-84) = E 96].

Here's an article about it

If I change it to the opposite directions I DO get on the other side of the world. I am near the Arctic Circle, they put me near the Antarctic Circle.

Swapping E-W and N-S won't do it. It will get you pretty close if you start near a pole (your example), but it doesn't work at all elsewhere.

For example, [N 1, W 1] to [s 1, E 1] are both off the West coast of Africa, about 200 miles apart. The farthest point from [N 1, W 1] is [s 1, E 179].

"Might make a fun puzzle cache. The last part would be: "Your final coordinates are on the opposite side of the world from these coordinates" Then let them figure out how to do the math. Of course if they read this forum they already know."

I've been thinking about doing just that for a few weeks now. Just last night I sat down and worked out the conversion mentioned above. So just so everyone knows.....I thought of it first!!! :DB):huh:

I'll probably publish such a cache as soon as I can find a suitable location. My luck, though, someone has probably already done this anyway.