Poor Condition or Destroyed?

DaKender

Hey, the more I ask the more I learn and the less I will ask latrer :cry: hehehehe

Ok, here is another one that's stumping me. Topic is going to be on HD1327

Station Recovered in Excellent Coindition

Reference Mark 1 Missing

Reference Mark 2 Recovered in Good Condition

Azimuth Mak Missing

Here is an example of a new road going in. Road crew must have got dozer happy on some day while working near the Azimuth Mark and shaved it off. And Mower Crew must have got cutting happy and cliped the Ref Mark 1.

The foundations are still there and even the rod down the center is there. Only thing missing is the disk.

HD1327Az.JPG

This is the Azimuth Foundation

HD1327Ref1.JPG

This is the Ref 1 Foundation

Now the question ??? How do you report these? Everything is there, directions to find them is good, it's just the disk is missing...

You log the station disk on the condition found and then you add to the log "Found the stem of RM1 - Disk missing" and you can also add the same for the azimuth mark. This would be the same for both GC.com & NGS.

I don't think destroyed is appropriate since these are part of an horizontal control station and the center of the mark is the survey point used. Even though the disk is gone the center of the stem could be used in a pinch.

John

i must disagree i think if the marks missing the things destroyed as a whole but i have another question. near my house there is a benchmark with no info about it ecept that its a church cross in centerville its listed on private land but about a mile out of centerville now in the history of this small town anytime before 1950 the only church in the town was the old catholic church built almost 100 years ago but the benchmark is listed as 1938 if i recall now most other cross benchmarks are on steeples and this is the only church around with a steeple so whats your guess would this cross be in a swamp on private land or on a church in a smalltown with a lot of history. o yes benchmarks are used for navigation the church is the tallest building in the town.

i must disagree i think if the marks missing the things destroyed as a whole but i have another question. near my house there is a benchmark with no info about it ecept that its a church cross in centerville its listed on private land but about a mile out of centerville now in the history of this small town anytime before 1950 the only church in the town was the old catholic church built almost 100 years ago but the benchmark is listed as 1938 if i recall now most other cross benchmarks are on steeples and this is the only church around with a steeple so whats your guess would this cross be in a swamp on private land or on a church in a smalltown with a lot of history. o yes benchmarks are used for navigation the church is the tallest building in the town.

What is the PID# for the church steeple? Are the coordinates "adjusted"? If they are adjusted, just follow your GPSr to where it says the benchmark is located and see if the church steeple is there,

John

You log the station disk on the condition found and then you add to the log "Found the stem of RM1 - Disk missing" and you can also add the same for the azimuth mark. This would be the same for both GC.com & NGS.

I don't think destroyed is appropriate since these are part of an horizontal control station and the center of the mark is the survey point used. Even though the disk is gone the center of the stem could be used in a pinch.

John

Cool, did what you said on GC.com, but as for the NGS, I sent a long little letter to Deb with pictures of all 4 (Station, RM1, RM2, and Azimuth) with both closeup and from a distance showing the condition. That's kinda what I understood I needed to do by reading the info on the page where you do the reporting. Looks like to me since the foundatioin and stem are all still good, they could just attach a new disk????

From your description and photos, it appears the station should be logged in good condition. Reference and AZ marks can be noted in the text, but the condition refers only to the actual station mark.

You should add text noting the condition of the reference marks and azimuth mark, but the station mark is in good condition, judging by what you said and your photo.