Semi-Newbie With Questions

DaKender

Been playing with benchmarks now for about 3 years, but just lately got brave enough to really find out what it's all about. One of my first hunts took me to HD1334. Here is my findings:

Station was recovered in excellent condition

Reference Mark 1 was not recovered. It's now in a plowed field

Reference Mark 2 was recovered in good coindition

Azimuth Mark was recovered in excellent condtition

Question 1, how is the best way to report these 4 distinct locations? on the main HD1334 for the station or on the individual ones like Ref Mark 1 = CN5576, ref Mark 2 = CN5577, and Azimuth = CN5575?

Quesiton 2, Here is what they had in the database on the Azimuth:

HD1334 STATION RECOVERY (1996)

HD1334

HD1334'RECOVERY NOTE BY MO DEPT OF NAT RES 1996

HD1334'THE STATION WAS FOUND IN GOOD CONDITION. THE STATION IS A STANDARD CGS

HD1334'TRIANGULATION STATION DISK STAMPED -ASH 1959- AND SET IN A 12 INCH

HD1334'SQUARE CONCRETE POST PROJECTING 1 INCH AND IS LOCATED IN THE NORTH

HD1334'RIGHT-OF-WAY OF FARM ROAD -52- IN THE SE 1/4 OF SECTION 5, TOWNSHIP 31

HD1334'NORTH, RANGE 24 WEST. THE STATION IS 19 FT (5.8 M) NORTH OF THE ROAD

HD1334'CENTERLINE, 2 FT (0.6 M) SOUTH OF THE NORTH RIGHT-OF-WAY FENCE, 75.8

HD1334'FT (23.1 M) EAST OF A UTILITY POLE, AND 4.0 FT (1.2 M) SOUTHWEST OF A

HD1334'STEEL POST AND WITNESS SIGN. TO REACH THE STATION FROM THE JUNCTION OF

HD1334'U.S. HIGHWAY 160 AND COUNTY HIGHWAY -V- IN ASH GROVE, GO NORTH ON

HD1334'HIGHWAY -V- FOR 2 MI (3.2 KM) TO A T-ROAD LEFT. TURN LEFT AND GO WEST

HD1334'AND NORTH ON A PAVED ROAD FOR 0.95 MI (1.53 KM) TO A T-ROAD LEFT.

HD1334'TURN LEFT AND GO WEST ON A PAVED ROAD FOR 0.1 MI (0.2 KM) TO THE

HD1334'STATION ON THE RIGHT ON THE NORTH SIDE OF ROAD. AZIMUTH MARK NOT

HD1334'RECOVERED AT THIS TIME. DATE OF REPORT 08-23-1996

As you can see Mo Dept Of Nat Res in 1996 said they did not recover the Azimuth, does that mean they didn't look? Or does it mean they looked but didn't find and marked it as destroyed? I think what happened is what happened with us when we looked for it, the directions for where it is can be missleading. We DID find it and it was in excellent conditions. How do I go about proving I found it? Kinda hard to believe something this important would be believed by someone with no experance found it and they take my word for it over the MO Dept Of Nat Res..

Reports to the NGS would be made for the station HD1334 for the station istself, and all reference marks. The 'CN' PIDs cannot be reported separately. They are subsidiary marks, and you cannot bring up pages for them. They only exist on the page for HD1334. (There are quite a number of RMs that have their own PID, but they would have PIDs starting with HD, for this example.

In this case, 'Not Recovered' means that they did not look for the azimuth mark. Azimuth marks can be a fair distance from the main station (and frequently do not have very good decriptionss.) A lot of people do not look for them. In this case, Mo Dept of Nat Res probably felt no need to search for the azimuth mark. The only azimuth that I've found had its own PID.

Photos, of course, will show that you have found the station, RM2 and the azimuth mark. And photos should be provided to Deb Brown for the recovery. One photo showing the mark from a distance, and one showing a close up. One from eye-level is also rcommended.

As to being in awe of MO Dept of Nat Res, there are those of us who take great pride in finding marks not found by 'competant' agencies! A feather in our caps! Myself, I love finding ones not found by NJGS!! (Not to call them incompetant. Umm... Sorry dude, but that station is still in the sidewalk where it always was. Dunno how you could possibly have missed it) RM1 in the plowed field shoud be listed as 'not recovered.' Might still be there.