Common Misconceptions That Lead to ANGST!

Snoogans

I just read that entire thread :D and I don't dare post there and bring it back to life, but does anyone know how it all turned out?? Was the cache(s) ever approved? That's quite a cliff hanger!

Which thread are we talking about here? I read the whole "Frogger" cache thread. It was amazing! Even though it's only a few months old, I totally missed it. I must have been busy doing yardwork or something. :P

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Get it right. Snoogans hates chinldren. :)

I thought it was "chilnren"? :laughing:

Nope. You are incorrect. :P

Fascinating thread, and you're right; "chinldren" has precedence over "chilnren", and is attached much more prominently to a far more inflammatory thread. For Jeremy to claim that a post upset him more than any other post in the history of the site is pretty amazing.

What is it with the righteously indignant that they can't spell? Or is that yet another one of those "Common Misconceptions That Lead to ANGST!"? That spelling and grammar don't matter?

Everyone participates in a way that gives them satisfaction whether it is to seek adventure or to rack up smileys. Both are valid. Percieved fallout not withstanding.

This is the heart of geocaching... to be able to enjoy it anyway that you want no matter who you are as long as you follow those basic guidelines.

So, with that in mind whether you pay or not, hide or seek, hunt Urban or rural, it is all subjective.

I personally enjoy a challenging cache with a high terrain rating, but one of my teamates prefers easier terrain caches. To each their own and let them be, that's what I say! :P

Hey gang, after a long contemplation, I finally identified yet another branch on the "Geocaching Tree of Angst!" It's bolded down at the bottom. :(

To summarize our "Geocaching Tree of Angst" so far:

We have an atmosphere rich with CO2 that is represented by one atom of "Entitlement" ( C ) and two atoms of "Expectation." (O2) :D

We have a rich medium for the growth of angst in our soil, which is represented by a common/general, "unawareness that this hobby is intrinsically linked to other people." :(

The water (H2O) that nourishes the tree is either actual or perceived (H2) negative interaction (O) between geocachers. :blink:

Our tree is furtilized by misconception, misinterpretation, and misunderstanding (MMM) whether actual or deliberate. :)

The roots of our tree are based in actual participation and experience in geocaching as an activity.... Hiding, finding, & moving trackables. :blink:

The trunk of our tree emerges over time. It is actually just individual experience that expresses itself in this way, "I know better than YOU what geocaching is supposed/intended to be all about." <_<

From there our "Tree of Angst" branches out in many directions. Some branches sprout from the trunk and some branches think they are attacking the trunk from the other side, but are seemingly unaware that they are part of the same tree. :blink:

The named branches of our tree so far:

The Theory of Geocaching Evolution

Geocaching would be more fun for me, IF :blink::(

Perceived Staunch Defenders of Everything Perceived Lame (P.S.D.E.P.L.)

Geocaching was so much better way back when

The Theory That It's the "OTHER GUY" Who Is Just Sucking the Fun Out of Geocaching

The Theory of Keeping with The Highly Subjective "Spirit of Geocaching"

I guess my contribution is pretty simple: as a cache placer, I've been closing down my caches, some of which were VERY creative in name and nature, due to a few "zingers" I've received via e-mail from hunters. If you don't like a cache, suck it up and move on. If you do like a cache, let the placer know. Otherwise, learn from Thumper...

If you can't say something nice, don't say 'nothin'" at all.

I am almost certain that the origins of this game were absolute fun with technology...and searching...

Your cache, your call. :)

Personally, if I created what I thought to be an awesome hide, and feedback from most of the community substantiated my belief, I wouldn't nuke it simply because someone grumbled. Maybe I just got thick skin? I learned long ago that no matter what you hide, there will be folks who won't like it. If I followed your logic, I'd need to archive all my hides, for fear of offending a tiny percentage of players. Seems like a case of, "I'll take my ball and go home". As I mentioned, the cache is yours to do as you wish, even if that includes childish reactions to negative feedback. :)

Hey gang, out of the blue comes yet another branch on the "Geocaching Tree of Angst!" It's bolded down at the bottom. :D Thanks Drag-person! :D

We have an atmosphere rich with CO2 that is represented by one atom of "Entitlement" ( C ) and two atoms of "Expectation." (O2) :laughing:

We have a rich medium for the growth of angst in our soil, which is represented by a common/general, "unawareness that this hobby is intrinsically linked to other people." :laughing:

The water (H2O) that nourishes the tree is either actual or perceived (H2) negative interaction (O) between geocachers. :D

Our tree is furtilized by misconception, misinterpretation, and misunderstanding (MMM) whether actual or deliberate. ;)

The roots of our tree are based in actual participation and experience in geocaching as an activity.... Hiding, finding, & moving trackables. :laughing:

The trunk of our tree emerges over time. It is actually just individual experience that expresses itself in this way, "I know better than YOU what geocaching is supposed/intended to be all about." :D

From there our "Tree of Angst" branches out in many directions. Some branches sprout from the trunk and some branches think they are attacking the trunk from the other side, but are seemingly unaware that they are part of the same tree. :laughing:

Geocaching would be more fun for me, IF :laughing::huh:

The Theory That It's the "OTHER GUY" Who Is Just Sucking the Fun Out of Geocaching

The theory that with the ease of attaining apps for smartphone and Iphones, and a geocaching.com account "Low quality cachers" are infecting this game.

Edited by Snoogans

So how has the tree been doing? Has the constant eruptions of Mt. Debacle had an effect on it's growth?

Not that I've seen. I'm always on the lookout for new branches on the tree of angst. As the game continues to evolve, I'm sure there will be more. Dragery posted the stuff about cell phone cachers and it didn't fit ANY of the other branches.

So many of the recent debacle threads that I bothered to read deal with the named roots of angst that it's a little disappointing... But none the less ENTERTAINING! :laughing:

Hey gang, after almost a year and a half comes yet another branch on the "Geocaching Tree of Angst!" It's bolded down at the bottom. :D Thanks emmett! :D

We have an atmosphere rich with CO2 that is represented by one atom of "Entitlement" ( C ) and two atoms of "Expectation." (O2) :laughing:

We have a rich medium for the growth of angst in our soil, which is represented by a common/general, "unawareness that this hobby is intrinsically linked to other people." :laughing:

The water (H2O) that nourishes the tree is either actual or perceived (H2) negative interaction (O) between geocachers. :D

Our tree is furtilized by misconception, misinterpretation, and misunderstanding (MMM) whether actual or deliberate. ;)

The roots of our tree are based in actual participation and experience in geocaching as an activity.... Hiding, finding, & moving trackables. :laughing:

The trunk of our tree emerges over time. It is actually just individual experience that expresses itself in this way, "I know better than YOU what geocaching is supposed/intended to be all about." :D

From there our "Tree of Angst" branches out in many directions. Some branches sprout from the trunk and some branches think they are attacking the trunk from the other side, but are seemingly unaware that they are part of the same tree. :laughing:

The theory that with the ease of attaining apps for smartphone and Iphones, and a geocaching.com account "Low quality cachers" are infecting this game.

The theory that if Groundspeak cared more, then the subjective personal caching aesthtics would rise to meet the occasion.

Hey, you know, that guy who started the "How did you serve in the military" thread in like 2003 doesn't appear to be allowed to bump it any more. Just sayin'. :laughing:

Oh, I can't find Emmett's post, but from what you are paraphrasing, doesn't sound like too radical of a concept to me. Many, probably a majority, of Reviewers are 9, 10 or 11 year cachers; and cachers that have been around that long tend to be more "conservative". Don't think there aren't a lot of them out there that roll their eyes and hold their nose as they hit the publish button for the next store parking lot micro, or rural roadside micro with no place to safely park that comes up in the que. :o

Oh, I can't find Emmett's post, but from what you are paraphrasing, doesn't sound like too radical of a concept to me. Many, probably a majority, of Reviewers are 9, 10 or 11 year cachers; and cachers that have been around that long tend to be more "conservative". Don't think there aren't a lot of them out there that roll their eyes and hold their nose as they hit the publish button for the next store parking lot micro, or rural roadside micro with no place to safely park that comes up in the que. :o

You make a valid point and I hear the stories at events. I recently heard some interesting stories at an event I hosted in D.C. about folks getting a hard time trying to post ODS caches, so I get where you are coming from, but it also doesn't make you or the volunteer reviewers right which is why they have to publish the caches that meet guidelines or shove off. If any volunteer reviewer reading this did a fist pump to the quoted text above, do yourself and this community a favor and quit today. Right this minute. You'll live longer.

This (geocaching) is just hide and seek. The 21st century version of a game humans and animals have been playing since the dawn of time. Simplicity. It's not a whatever it takes to float your aesthetic boat entitlement right, because you have been doin' it longer and in your (the royal your) mind better than the riffraff parking lot and guardrail hider cell phone jockey noobs.

I started down the road to my tenth year of caching on March 1. It's all hide and seek to me. What am I? A bleeding heart geocaching liberal? No.

I seek when it's convenient which also helps me to keep from feeling entitled. There are certainly caches that I will never bother to hunt. But I won't tax a brain cell to hate on them. It's not worth my effort.

I get where you are coming from, but I choose not to embrace the negativity. This fun activity exists at the whim of the folks willing to hide caches. That's what folks on your side of the fence and those you describe seem to be forgetting.

Folks who become jaded and entitled in the geocaching context do so because it suits their nature to accentuate the negative. I see no need to be negative about a cache that is beneath my own standards for what I would hide when I find one. I see no need to measure other people's efforts against my own subjective aesthetic criteria unless I just wanna enjoy a good cup of angst.

snake-eats-own-tail.jpg

We agree on the safety issue BTW.

Edited by Snoogans

I don't want to make this post too long, so I won't quote you. Besides, the snake scares me, and I don't want to see it again. :huh:

Any reviewers saw my quote and did a fist pump? I seriously doubt it. I know darn well I have a hardcore stance, and am in a definite minority, being someone who uses the ignore list to filter out caches I consider "lame". I'd be willing to bet a single digit percentage of premium members have even one cache on their ignore list. On the other hand, I think you too are in a definite minority with the sort of "all caches are equal, there are no lame caches" stance. I know lots of people, including high number cachers who'd never ignore any cache listed on the site. They consider parking lot LPC's to be lame, don't really appear to be enjoying them, but hey, they find everything that's a cache. That's just chatter, but I do remember one example here in the forums. Some guy started a thread about year ago saying he miscalculated his 3,000th or 4,000th find (don't remember which) and was disappointed his milestone cache was a nano on a stop sign; along with sort of ridiculing the nano, of course.

I just threw out roadside micros with no place to safely park because there is a current thread. But now I do remember your thoughtful posts, and the proposals you made about safety when the German Geocacher fell to his death with the hole in the catwalk. Very commendable on your part.

On the other hand, I think you too are in a definite minority with the sort of "all caches are equal, there are no lame caches" stance.

That is not my stance at all. There are lame caches in my perception, but I guess I'm a caching Agnostic. I refuse to impress my aesthetic on another hider to make myself feel superior or dadgum that hide to my version of geocaching hell. It smacks of effort to hate, loathe, and detest certain types of caches. I try balance my positive and negative thoughts and I'm certainly not going to upset the apple cart over a mint tin containing a soggy log and hidden under a lamp skirt.

I get that other folks appreciate these hides or they are masochists for doing something they don't enjoy and for what? An electronic smiley face and a stat? That and $5 will get them a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Geocaching is just hide and seek, not brain science or rocket surgery. It is what it is and trying to make it more than it is, is what causes a lot of angst. Blaming another person for your choices doesn't work anywhere but in the government. :anibad::laughing::)

"Even if a cache merits long descriptive logs from most finders, it’s unfair to hold every finder to that standard unless there’s a clearly stated logging requirement (for whatever reason) which is the owner’s prerogative."

I ride th fence on this because I think it depends on the hide and the attitude of the hider. One particular cache and CO demands a book on each log. I do agree that the time and effort put into this particular cache merits a decent account of the adventure, but to sit on the cache page, hold your breath and stomp your feet about it, thus the attitude, makes it hard to give the credit which is rightfully due.

You make a valid point and I hear the stories at events. I recently heard some interesting stories at an event I hosted in D.C. about folks getting a hard time trying to post ODS caches, so I get where you are coming from, but it also doesn't make you or the volunteer reviewers right which is why they have to publish the caches that meet guidelines or shove off. If any volunteer reviewer reading this did a fist pump to the quoted text above, do yourself and this community a favor and quit today. Right this minute. You'll live longer.

This (geocaching) is just hide and seek. The 21st century version of a game humans and animals have been playing since the dawn of time. Simplicity. It's not a whatever it takes to float your aesthetic boat entitlement right, because you have been doin' it longer and in your (the royal your) mind better than the riffraff parking lot and guardrail hider cell phone jockey noobs.

I started down the road to my tenth year of caching on March 1. It's all hide and seek to me. What am I? A bleeding heart geocaching liberal? No.

I seek when it's convenient which also helps me to keep from feeling entitled. There are certainly caches that I will never bother to hunt. But I won't tax a brain cell to hate on them. It's not worth my effort.

I get where you are coming from, but I choose not to embrace the negativity. This fun activity exists at the whim of the folks willing to hide caches. That's what folks on your side of the fence and those you describe seem to be forgetting.

Folks who become jaded and entitled in the geocaching context do so because it suits their nature to accentuate the negative. I see no need to be negative about a cache that is beneath my own standards for what I would hide when I find one. I see no need to measure other people's efforts against my own subjective aesthetic criteria unless I just wanna enjoy a good cup of angst.

snake-eats-own-tail.jpg

We agree on the safety issue BTW.

Sadly though snoogs, you and I live in an area where "cache snobs" are pretty thick. ;-)

Sadly though snoogs, you and I live in an area where "cache snobs" are pretty thick. ;-)

I wouldn't call them snobs. Out of tune and unenlightened would be more accurate if they truly hold others responsible for their happiness in this activity. So far there has been nothing in the debate following the last revision of the Geocaching Tree of Angst that is not already part of the tree.

Can we add a branch to the tree that somehow encompasses bumping old threads on the forums and misappropriation of the word "agnostic"?

:P

You might be onto something but not in the way you might be thinking. :rolleyes:

Who thinks we need a forum angst catch 22 branch? :unsure:

You know if I had started an new thread to add the latest branch on the Geocaching Tree of Angst the outcry would be that there is already a thread, but put the revision where it belongs and you get the sentiment quoted above.

I'll call it:

The forum posting Kobayashi Maru :laughing: (too obscure? :unsure: )

Who thinks it should be added? :unsure:

I wouldn't call them snobs. Out of tune and unenlightened would be more accurate if they truly hold others responsible for their happiness in this activity. So far there has been nothing in the debate following the last revision of the Geocaching Tree of Angst that is not already part of the tree.

Eh, its not so much "their" happiness as it is the way they manage to make others feel if certain things do not meet their standards. Doesn't affect me, I could care less, but I do have friends who have dropped out group caching scene because of it and others who keep things at arms length. I guess in the end it is the reversal - them causing angst for others.

Eh, its not so much "their" happiness as it is the way they manage to make others feel if certain things do not meet their standards. Doesn't affect me, I could care less, but I do have friends who have dropped out group caching scene because of it and others who keep things at arms length. I guess in the end it is the reversal - them causing angst for others.

Yeah, but they sometimes get what's coming to them. I was at an event where some local cachers were trashing a particular cacher's hides. None of them knew the cacher. Well, he turned out to be a very young learning disabled boy and he and his father had been sitting just a couple yards away from this conversation. The boy was crying and the father really ripped the adult "cache snobs" a new one before storming off. Geocaching had been a real breakthrough with this kid. I haven't seen or heard of them since and that has been quite a few years back. Most of those so called cache snobs have drifted out of the game as well. It's what happens to folks who can't bend others to their mindset so they can remain happy. :rolleyes:

Yeah, but they sometimes get what's coming to them. I was at an event where some local cachers were trashing a particular cacher's hides. None of them knew the cacher. Well, he turned out to be a very young learning disabled boy and he and his father had been sitting just a couple yards away from this conversation. The boy was crying and the father really ripped the adult "cache snobs" a new one before storming off. Geocaching had been a real breakthrough with this kid. I haven't seen or heard of them since and that has been quite a few years back. Most of those so called cache snobs have drifted out of the game as well. It's what happens to folks who can't bend others to their mindset so they can remain happy. :rolleyes:

That is really sad. Sadly though that type of stuff still goes on at events and I tend to ignore it. As far as hides go there is no such thing to be as a "bad hide" much as just bad coords. More recent things people have dinged others over are how to maintain or replace a cache, which in itself is not a bad discussion to have, but when it turns into getting personal is where I take issue especially when it is on one of my good friends who helped me latch onto the game when I was a noob. I agree 100% with you snoog! I just try not to let this get to me much. I still remain as cordial as I can be around the ones I know have issue with me for being vocal when it comes to certain things. It is what it is, they wont spoil my fun :-)

On a seperate note, I am way excited about indiana!

Well that's not right. No one has ever dropped out of group caching with this cache snob. :D A couple of examples, I once drove my passenger side fender within 2" of a lamp post, and forced my passenger to lift the skirt, and sign the log from inside the car. And another time, in a party of 8 or so, I ran 50 feet ahead of them, and lifted the skirt and held it for them. I did not log either of those caches online.

Hey gang,

Thanks to Mr. Yuck, Castle Mischief, and GeoBain we have identified yet another branch on the "Geocaching Tree of Angst!" It's bolded down at the bottom. :D

The theory that if Groundspeak cared more, then the subjective personal caching aesthtics would rise to meet the occasion.

The dreaded Forum Posting Kobayashi Maru

Edited by Snoogans

Hey gang,

Thanks to Mr. Yuck, Castle Mischief, and GeoBain we have identified yet another branch on the "Geocaching Tree of Angst!" It's bolded down at the bottom. :D

<snip>

Well, if you are going to start a new thread about a topic that you started before and was pretty well discussed at length the previous go around, the least you could do is acknowledge the last time you brought the subject up. It's not exactly the same as bumping a thread that someone else started. You were the OP of BOTH threads.

:)

Hey gang,

<snip>

Well, if you are going to start a new thread about a topic that you started before and was pretty well discussed at length the previous go around, the least you could do is acknowledge the last time you brought the subject up. It's not exactly the same as bumping a thread that someone else started. You were the OP of BOTH threads.

Yes I was. In this case it's a logical continuation that Yuck & CM Kobayashi'd me on.

In your case. The OP's are very different even though the topics are similar. The previous one came out of a different discussion that was prompted about prop 8 in California. I started today's thread on my own and the OP is exploring a different tack prompted by the shameful display of the voters in North Carolina. It's not rocket surgery.

And just think, now you are part of the immortal Tree of Angst. :)

Edited by Snoogans

Can you put those two angry Canadian guys on the tree of Angst? Zack Black, and that guy from BC who scolded us for being war mongers, and not having Government health care? And I'm sure he'd drop North Carolina in there, if that had happened last week.

Can you put those two angry Canadian guys on the tree of Angst? Zack Black, and that guy from BC who scolded us for being war mongers, and not having Government health care? And I'm sure he'd drop North Carolina in there, if that had happened last week.

The Theory that if the Americans don't agree with our noob observations about cacher saturation and change the rules we'll hit 'em with the war mongering non-socialist coup de grace....

That one?

Adding us three to the tree of Angst is totally illogical. Everyone knows The Organian Neutral Zone was abolished by the Khitomer Accords in 2293.

OK, I looked that up.

Stop it. Ur killin' me! :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Hmm... I must have missed that one. That's not surprising, given that I skip a lot of threads, and ignore many forum topics completely.

Could you summarize what "The dreaded Forum Posting Kobayashi Maru" means? (FWIW, I'm familiar with the Kobayashi Maru. I just don't understand how it applies here.)

Could you summarize what "The dreaded Forum Posting Kobayashi Maru" means? (FWIW, I'm familiar with the Kobayashi Maru. I just don't understand how it applies here.)

A no win forum posting situation aka forum posting Catch 22.

Examples:

To respond quite accurately to an old thread, but getting the terse wit/sarcasm that you're bumping an old thread implying that you shouldn't have posted at all or should have posted a new thread. :rolleyes:

To start a new thread when a years old thread on the same or similar topic exists garnering terse wit/sarcasm usually accompanied by a link to, or bump, (or both) of the old thread implying (in most cases wrongly) that no one wants to discuss it further, that a new thread should have been started, or in the case of the afore mentioned bump of the old thread, to disrupt the conversation on the new thread. <_<

Edited by Snoogans

A no win forum posting situation aka forum posting Catch 22.

Examples:

To respond quite accurately to an old thread, but getting the terse wit/sarcasm that you're bumping an old thread implying that you shouldn't have posted at all or should have posted a new thread. :rolleyes:

To start a new thread when a years old thread on the same or similar topic exists garnering terse wit/sarcasm usually accompanied by a link to, or bump, (or both) of the old thread implying (in most cases wrongly) that no one wants to discuss it further, that a new thread should have been started, or in the case of the afore mentioned bump of the old thread, to disrupt the conversation on the new thread. <_<

"And another thing..."

I don't know if this is already covered in one of the branches of angst, but I think there is something called the Lake Wobegon Geocaching Effect. People tend to think that their caches are above average.

Certainly, people tend to hide what they like. So it isn't to suprising that when they find other kinds of caches are out there, they perceive it as a lack of quality.

My guess is that most people also believe that the containers they use are better than average, and that, in any case, they are going to do maintainence and take care of problems. When they find a cache that has some maintenace issue, the reaction is that the "average" cache owner isn't selecting the right container or isn't reacting to maintenance issues promptly enough.

Newbies often get so enthusiatic about geocaching that they can't imagine someone hiding a cache who later finds they can't keep up with maintenace or perhaps has even stopped geocaching. Old timers, on the other hand, often blame enthusiatic newbies who hide a cache before realizing that geocaching just isn't for them.

Eureka!!! After almost a year. A NEW branch!

Thanks Toz!

Hey gang,

Thanks to Toz we have identified yet another branch on the "Geocaching Tree of Angst!" It's bolded down at the bottom. :D

The Theory of the Lake Woebegone Geocaching Effect

See Toz's quote in the post before this to understand the theory better....

Edited by Snoogans

Wow. After reading the summary and reflecting on posts especially of late, I think I MAY have come across another branch. Perhaps not. I'll let the Snoogster decide if this is, indeed, a new branch.

This one would be...."We must maintain the history/heritage of Geocaching"

This is the angst that always emerges whenever a "heritage cache" is in danger of being archived. See the ongoing saga of Mingo for an example. This discussion invariably forks rapidly into the two camps that state either any cache more than xx years old MUST be preserved at all cost or the other that says when any attirbute of the original cache is changed, it is no longer the original cache and can go away. Somewhere in the conversation, then, there are several discussions that fall somewhere in between these 2 camps.

Edit to add - I just realized that this is about "Common Misconceptions" and the above scenario does not really fall into that arena. My bad.

Edited by Semper Questio

Wow. After reading the summary and reflecting on posts especially of late, I think I MAY have come across another branch. Perhaps not. I'll let the Snoogster decide if this is, indeed, a new branch.

This is the angst that always emerges whenever a "heritage cache" is in danger of being archived. See the ongoing saga of Mingo for an example. This discussion invariably forks rapidly into the two camps that state either any cache more than xx years old MUST be preserved at all cost or the other that says when any attirbute of the original cache is changed, it is no longer the original cache and can go away. Somewhere in the conversation, then, there are several discussions that fall somewhere in between these 2 camps.

Edit to add - I just realized that this is about "Common Misconceptions" and the above scenario does not really fall into that arena. My bad.

Well, I knew it HAD to be Snoogs who bumped his thread, but Toz did refer to it in another thread. :laughing:

By the way, looks like Mingo is currently a rather poorly camo-taped peanut butter jar. :huh:

Well, I knew it HAD to be Snoogs who bumped his thread, but Toz did refer to it in another thread. :laughing:

By the way, looks like Mingo is currently a rather poorly camo-taped peanut butter jar. :huh:

Actually, I think preserving geocaching history is a valid branch on the tree of angst. A small and especially fragile branch that is easily manipulated.

BTW- I fall in the camp of couldn't care one way or the other about Mingo. Been there,done that. If I was the owner of it, I would archive that puppy because it's not worth the hassle. It's probably a good thing I don't own the listing. Huh? I will amend the summary when I have the time to do it.

Hey gang,

Just getting around to a long awaited edit to identify another branch on the "Geocaching Tree of Angst!" It's bolded down at the bottom. :D

The Theory that Geocaching History Effects the Price of Tea in China

On November 14, 2013 at 11:05 AM, Snoogans said:

Hey gang,

Just getting around to a long awaited edit to identify another branch on the "Geocaching Tree of Angst!" It's bolded down at the bottom. :D

Has it really been 5 1/2 years since I tended the tree???

Skimming around this forum it appears that there is opportunity to identify new branches.

i hardly recognize any of the names anymore so this long thread might be enlightening.

3 minutes ago, Snoogans said:

Skimming around this forum it appears that there is opportunity to identify new branches.

Should there be a new branch for the outrageous way that Groundspeak is PENALIZING poor innocent geocachers by the way they structure their Souvenir promotions?

2 hours ago, Snoogans said:

I don't want to offend anyone, but can you please change "effect" to "affect"?   

I also want to say that I've enjoyed reading through this thread, and appreciate the insight into other cacher's mindsets and angst.  I'm new to geocaching... I really enjoy it a lot. While it is fun to rack up numbers, I really enjoy the more challenging hides.  I haven't seen a whole lot of angst, but it's definitely out there.  I'm guessing I'll see it more often as I go.  I have seen a few CO's who complain about finders not being "real cachers" b/c they can't find level 5 caches... Personally, I don't really like being insulted this early on... but, I thoroughly enjoy the cache that is challenging and may take more than 1 attempt... in fact, there's one I've been to  4-5 times now and still haven't found, but, in my mind, it's already in my top 3 favorites.  I have friends who are happy to try once and never again, and I'm fine with that, live and let cache.  I also really appreciate hides that take me to interesting, or especially geographically beautiful locales.  If the scenery is amazing, who cares if it's a LPC or a level 3-5.

I've hidden caches aimed at kids.  I've also hidden more challenging ones, and a few for the scenery or history.  No LPC's, but a few micro's that are at typical locations with atypical hides (for my area).  I hope I never grow sour and let the fun seep out of this hobby.