Beginner GPS unit for Geocaching for an 11 year old to use.

gdfrick122

I would like to have opinions’ on what is the best entry level GPS receiver for my 11 year old Son to start out with in Geocaching. I have a GARMAN GPS 12 XL that I use which is dated but it might be easer for me to tech him if he had a GARMAN since the menus may be similar. But any brand that you all think would be easy for him to learn please share with me.

My son is almost 11 now, and I started him on our Garmin eTrex Legend at the age of 5. Today he has mastered the use of a GPSr. You can find a Legend online for about $130. Not bad for a mapping unit that will last your son a long time.

If you are going to spend $130 for a Legend, you might as well spend the extra $20 to get a Venture Cx with color screen, mapping, and micro sd slot. Amazon has them for $204 minus the $50 Garmin mail in rebate.

I've got an almost-11-year-old, too, and he's pretty handy with our Legend. 'Course, he's handy with the 60CSx, too.

Anything with a computer interface is a good place to start. But if my kid wanted his own GPS, I'd probably tell him he's going to need to save up and buy it himself, at least part of it. He'd probably appreciate it more, and use it longer than if it were given to him.

My son is almost 11 now, and I started him on our Garmin eTrex Legend at the age of 5. Today he has mastered the use of a GPSr. You can find a Legend online for about $130. Not bad for a mapping unit that will last your son a long time.

If you are going to spend $130 for a Legend, you might as well spend the extra $20 to get a Venture Cx with color screen, mapping, and micro sd slot. Amazon has them for $204 minus the $50 Garmin mail in rebate.

Be advised the VentureCX does not ship with the miniUSB cable or microSD chip. In my case that was a good selling point because I already had those things. You can buy a 1gb microsd for about $40.00 so the total outlay is still less than $200.00 if you already have the cable. Definately a good deal.

I would like to have opinions’ on what is the best entry level GPS receiver for my 11 year old Son to start out with in Geocaching. I have a GARMAN GPS 12 XL that I use which is dated but it might be easer for me to tech him if he had a GARMAN since the menus may be similar. But any brand that you all think would be easy for him to learn please share with me.

With "entry level" as a criteria, you might check out the Garmin Foretrex 101. Particularly if you have an Aldi's store in your area, as mentioned in another post. Not mapping, no batteries (2 AAA), no cable (serial; $10), but rugged, waterproof, feature-rich, easy to use and a good value (currently $69.99 plus tax at Aldi). I particularly like the pointer-to-target (waypoint) for geocacheing.