Geocoins and my dissappointments.

funkoptimus

Well firstly I am a newbie and I realize I have a lot to learn. But I just get why the craze for tracking geocoins. To me it just seems like a pretty tracking bug. Yes they are nice to look at but why send a nice looking thing after you just got the chance to appreciate it. When I first started I thought they were for trading.

Example- You take a $1 item from a cache you leave a $1 or greater item. You take a coin you leave a coin. In other words you swap.

This swapping via the internet seems like cheating. Granted their are next to no "trading" coins in caches. But wouldnt it be cool to swap out and actually hunt for a coin to collect?? To me that would seem exciting. Yes they would get taken without someone else leaving a coin to appreciate. But track coins get stolen too.

I just wish this was the case. It would make finding a coin to keep much more exciting.

Talk me out of this as I feel like I missing out on something.

Well firstly I am a newbie and I realize I have a lot to learn. But I just get why the craze for tracking geocoins. To me it just seems like a pretty tracking bug. Yes they are nice to look at but why send a nice looking thing after you just got the chance to appreciate it. When I first started I thought they were for trading.

Example- You take a $1 item from a cache you leave a $1 or greater item. You take a coin you leave a coin. In other words you swap.

This swapping via the internet seems like cheating. Granted their are next to no "trading" coins in caches. But wouldnt it be cool to swap out and actually hunt for a coin to collect?? To me that would seem exciting. Yes they would get taken without someone else leaving a coin to appreciate. But track coins get stolen too.

I just wish this was the case. It would make finding a coin to keep much more exciting.

It would be a neat idea to have a special geocoin... a SWAP coin or something.. in a cache.. maybe like 50 of them or something .. and have it posted as the swap cache..

they leave a coin and take one of the swap coins.,,,

Only problem is.. most likely some jerk would come in and take ALL the coins and sell them or something,,

but does sounnd nice in theory

Granted their are next to no "trading" coins in caches. But wouldnt it be cool to swap out and actually hunt for a coin to collect?? To me that would seem exciting. Yes they would get taken without someone else leaving a coin to appreciate.

You mean going back to pre-summer 2005 when coins were predominantly placed in caches for people to find and keep? It could happen again with the secondary market collapsing.

You're not crazy. It was the original purpose of the geocoin. It was/is a good purpose. All we can do is keep putting them out there and hope that someday it'll roll back over to the way it used to be.

(The market is collapsing? I'm not seeing it, all I'm seeing is prices rise and at a ridiculous rate. I hope you're right though.)

Don't lose hope just yet. There seems to be a swing towards leaving coins in caches again for keepers or trade items. I just think that you might not be seeing them because advertising it brings on the cache maggots and unactivated equals no icon on the cache page. Keep looking because cachers are still leaving them out there as FTF and even plain old trader items. I know we do from time to time and we'll keep looking in the hopes that someday we'll find one ourselves. :unsure:

To me that would seem exciting. Yes they would get taken without someone else leaving a coin to appreciate. But track coins get stolen too.

I LOVE dropping coins and seeing who finds them. To me it's so much fun hearing what the finders have to say, and when they realize it wasn't a mistake and they get to keep it....priceless! I stopped keeping track of the coins I drop, but I did put one into one of my caches the other day and no one has found it yet!

I too have been leaving coins (not a lot, but slowly turning them loose) in caches for the next cacher to take and do with as they please!! All those out there that do this...KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!! It IS fun to find a coin (unactivated or activated) in a cache, and this has picked up a bit in our area!!

As the cacher, you need to be willing to take AND give back to the cache community!! I see my hiding of caches as a way to give back, as well, my coins could be a way too!! Now...I don't have much money to just GIVE these coins away, but I do try to leave a coin or two in caches that I enjoy, or think would bring someone else out to enjoy said cache.

Wouldn't it be great to see that this becomes the normal standard of caching...give back to those who have given to you??? As the cacher, I have been lucky to rack up a nice number of finds and coin icons...as the cache hider, I am giving back to those who spent time and money to help me acquire my stats! Now, as a coin owner, I am trying to give back to those that have been kind enough to place coins in the wild!! Big HAPPY circle (nothing vicious about that)!!

Aside from my personal coin, I still leave other unactivated coins in caches as well. I still have a bunch of local GBA coins that were produced about a year or so ago that I drop in caches for the new folks in our area who haven't seen them or gotten one yet.

I like to leave a local mark when I travel too, so I'll make it a point to drop at least one on each out of area trip - even if it's in a park'n'grab. :unsure:

edit: typos (sigh)

Edited by kealia

I hear you!

I always have mixed feelings when finding a GeoCoin in a cache.

There is the "holymoleyanactualgeocoinIcan'tbelieveIgothereintime!" rush, immidiately followed by the "welp, I guess I gotta move it on.." To be honest - Once I log it and fondle it for a day or two :cry: I really don't mind moving it on, but if the coin is extra cool I secretly wish I could keep it. With that in mind, I opted to make my coins non-trackable so when you find them, you keep them! I still get frustrated by folks taking one of my coins and leaving a quarter or McToy - but hey, you can't win them all!

Tiki

I hear you!

I always have mixed feelings when finding a GeoCoin in a cache.

There is the "holymoleyanactualgeocoinIcan'tbelieveIgothereintime!" rush, immidiately followed by the "welp, I guess I gotta move it on.." To be honest - Once I log it and fondle it for a day or two :cry: I really don't mind moving it on, but if the coin is extra cool I secretly wish I could keep it. With that in mind, I opted to make my coins non-trackable so when you find them, you keep them! I still get frustrated by folks taking one of my coins and leaving a quarter or McToy - but hey, you can't win them all!

Tiki

I feel the same way. I was so excited when I found my first coin. I remember hearing of people trading coins and was gitty to have found one I didnt have a coin to leave so I dropped a compass and $10. Then I got home read up on it and found out it is an activated coin. Never even knew they tracked them. So when I was out the next day hunting I went back and dropped the coin back in its cache. Unfortunately the $10 was gone. But I got my compass. I know sore loser.

Granted I have only come across 5-6 coins. All but one had a sleeve that said activated and that one was also activated. So in my case it takes out a bit of the fun and I think it could be so much more if the hobby wasnt all about the tracking coins right now.

Example. My daughter and I always do our cache'ing together. Being 8 yrs old and all. She loves the coins and finding them. Even if they are just foreign pennies from Cananda.

So it is a real heartbreaker for her and her friends when they need to let one go. They understand travel bugs and they appreciate those too. But the travel coins they dont understand and I almost cringe if we find one and I have to explain that we may or may not be able to keep it.

To me it just seems like a pretty tracking bug.

Geocoins are different things to different people. To me, they are pretty travel bugs. People enjoy finding them and most move pretty well. In general, my geocoin TBs have better mileage and faster movement than the traditional TBs that I have released. To date, I've found 30+ coins in caches and have been happy to help them along on their journies.

Finding a keeper / trader in a cache would be cool - but I'd probably want to release it to roam eventually.

If I ever make my own coin, then I'd probably be more likely to leave some randomly in caches. As it is, I have left a few as FTF prizes, but I have not dropped them just for the fun of it.

I dropped four more this week, two unactivated, complete with activation codes, I did not bother two write the numbers down to see if they ever travel. Just hoping somebody finds them and enjoys them. I have a whole bunch that I have collected that will probably be fodder for my kids to sell when I pass. There are still a lot of coins moving, many more than when I started caching. Glen

I've dropped about 50 of my unactivated coins in caches. I alway leave a card telling people it is unactivated, and they can do what they want with them, and give them the site to get the activation codes. I don't put on my online log that I dropped them, so it is a surprise when they get to the cache.

I've gotten some wonderful feedback by doing this. I especially love it when it is child who finds it!

I've dropped about 50 of my unactivated coins in caches. I alway leave a card telling people it is unactivated, and they can do what they want with them, and give them the site to get the activation codes. I don't put on my online log that I dropped them, so it is a surprise when they get to the cache.

I've gotten some wonderful feedback by doing this. I especially love it when it is child who finds it!

I think that is just wonderful!!! I am going to get some cheaper coins or some wooden ones made to add to caches as I think the idea of someone keeping them is great. It is obvious people like to trade and start collections. As money is scarce right now with my wife being ill and x-mas I will look for some cheaper options.

But I think I will enjoy leaving them behind as much as finding the caches!!!

Edited by funkoptimus

I have been very happy with the geocoins...until today... A cacher said they liked my coin, but could not afford it. So, I sent them a coin free of charge. I paid for shipping, everything. As soon as this person recieved it, it went right on ebay. It really makes me question why I would try to be nice and do something for somebody else.

--Redtailfalconer

I have been very happy with the geocoins...until today... A cacher said they liked my coin, but could not afford it. So, I sent them a coin free of charge. I paid for shipping, everything. As soon as this person recieved it, it went right on ebay. It really makes me question why I would try to be nice and do something for somebody else.

--Redtailfalconer

Oh my! :DB)

--Redtailfalconer

That is a shame! Sorry to hear about that!

--Redtailfalconer

Thats a shame indeed, That person selling it on ebay is also registered here under 2 screen names and is a 13 year old or so, Also sold one of my non personal (gifted) coins at a time, only after me asking him about it,, offered it back, I just let it ride, as it was already activated as well,,,, I would contact him and ask for your coin back,, and end the auction, You are not alone !! :D

Edited by glennk721

--Redtailfalconer

That is too bad. Actually it doesnt suprise me that it happened. Yes a kid or teen doing this shouldnt be a shock. Still it is pretty sad that it happened.

Their is a member here who offered a coin too me to give to my little girl, plant it in the cache before she goes thru it that way we have a keeper to start her collection etc and she will think she found it.

TMOCM is the member name and I was so touched by his generosity that I am going to order some wooden coins after Christmas to leave in some caches. This sort of spirit is contageous and will take this hobby to a much higher level. So people will muggle and be greedy but knowing that someone has enjoyed it and maybe put a smile on their face is just awesome. You cant always expect geniune gratitude but when it happens it feels great.

I have volunteered in the past and some people expect you to do what you are doing for them and are oblivious to your generosity but the thanx others show always make it much better.

Kudos for trying. :D

--Redtailfalconer

Thats a shame indeed, That person selling it on ebay is also registered here under 2 screen names and is a 13 year old or so, Also sold one of my non personal (gifted) coins at a time, only after me asking him about it,, offered it back, I just let it ride, as it was already activated as well,,,, I would contact him and ask for your coin back,, and end the auction, You are not alone !! :D

Can we name him?

--Redtailfalconer

Thats a shame indeed, That person selling it on ebay is also registered here under 2 screen names and is a 13 year old or so, Also sold one of my non personal (gifted) coins at a time, only after me asking him about it,, offered it back, I just let it ride, as it was already activated as well,,,, I would contact him and ask for your coin back,, and end the auction, You are not alone !! B)

Can we name him?

I am not sure of the Groundspeak rules, and quite frankly do not want to bash anyone in a public forum I just wanted redtailfalconer to know of this happening and perhaps be persuant of getting his coin back, that would be the (correct thing) to do,,,. I DO have hopes he reads this thread and crawls under a rock :D

Edited by glennk721

I am not sure of the rules either, and I as well no not want to publicly bash a fellow cacher regardless. I did receive an email back from this person saying they are sorry I feel this way. Apparently my coin, as well as others are financing a laptop for him. I guess we can't let one bad apple ruin the generosity of most cachers, and spoil the game for the rest of us.

I am not sure of the rules either, and I as well no not want to publicly bash a fellow cacher regardless. I did receive an email back from this person saying they are sorry I feel this way. Apparently my coin, as well as others are financing a laptop for him. I guess we can't let one bad apple ruin the generosity of most cachers, and spoil the game for the rest of us.

Geez!! :( At least they should have had the common decency to ask first!! :(

What would have been so difficult about a simple, "Hey Dude! Thanks for the coin. I'm trying to raise money to buy me a laptop to do my school work on. Would it be alright if I were to place it on Ebay to try and get me closer to what I need? Thanks."

:mad::)

D-man :)

--Redtailfalconer

:mad::(

While I do agree that the unactivated coins are great to find, I am a TB collector too, so I can see the bright side of sending out activated coins for that purpose!! As of now, I have 11 activated coins and 10 unactivated coins out. A few were FTF's for a few of my new caches, the rest were just placed while out caching!!

I plan to drop another 30 unactivated coins....then I'll think about loosing a few more activated ones (depending on the other coins' progress!!).

--Redtailfalconer

Thats a shame indeed, That person selling it on ebay is also registered here under 2 screen names and is a 13 year old or so, Also sold one of my non personal (gifted) coins at a time, only after me asking him about it,, offered it back, I just let it ride, as it was already activated as well,,,, I would contact him and ask for your coin back,, and end the auction, You are not alone !! :(

Can we name him?

I am not sure of the Groundspeak rules, and quite frankly do not want to bash anyone in a public forum I just wanted redtailfalconer to know of this happening and perhaps be persuant of getting his coin back, that would be the (correct thing) to do,,,. I DO have hopes he reads this thread and crawls under a rock :mad:

If you're not just speculating, which it seems pretty clear that you're not, then the right thing to do would be to let the group here know who it is. No bashing needed, a simple statement of the facts. It would be nice for others to know so they don't find themselves in the same situation.

I have bought a number of coins and collected a bunch out of caches and never thought they were to keep. I think we need to ove them on and stop buying from EBAY... there are plenty of 'sales' people here and online in legitimate forms... if someone wants to pay 30 for a 7 dollar coin let em but lets keep the coins in the caches into the office and home to share and then back to the caches. I dropped my first unactivated coin today... I did apply for the activation code and wrote down the coin code so I can discover it as soon as they activate it... what is a bummer to me is when you get a real cool coin like the new monopoly coin and it has a lame standard icon. Thanks

what is a bummer to me is when you get a real cool coin like the new monopoly coin and it has a lame standard icon. Thanks

The custom icon for that coin hasn't been loaded yet. If it's not listed under "Personal Geocoins", it'll get a custom icon. They're usually loaded by Groundspeak on Fridays.

Granted their are next to no "trading" coins in caches. But wouldnt it be cool to swap out and actually hunt for a coin to collect?? To me that would seem exciting. Yes they would get taken without someone else leaving a coin to appreciate.

You mean going back to pre-summer 2005 when coins were predominantly placed in caches for people to find and keep? It could happen again with the secondary market collapsing.

I got my first geocoins in (found a coin in a cache, and then purchased for myself and released them) summer 2004 and there was no indication then that geocoins were intended as keep/trade items. I've never seen any indication that geocoins have been anything but travel bugs, and it was made very clear to me back then that geocoins were fancy travel bugs.

--Redtailfalconer

If you still have the activation code, you could activate the coin and put this story in its description.

If you're not just speculating, which it seems pretty clear that you're not, then the right thing to do would be to let the group here know who it is. No bashing needed, a simple statement of the facts. It would be nice for others to know so they don't find themselves in the same situation.

Hula Bum, There is no speculation here, I have emailed Eartha, to find out the Groundspeak rules about this issue and posting the cachers name. Glenn

I got my first geocoins in (found a coin in a cache, and then purchased for myself and released them) summer 2004 and there was no indication then that geocoins were intended as keep/trade items. I've never seen any indication that geocoins have been anything but travel bugs, and it was made very clear to me back then that geocoins were fancy travel bugs.

We have made several geocoins that were meant as nothing more than nice swag. They are not trackable, not numbered or anything. They've been used as FTF prizes, gifts, and just placed as nice swag at cool caches. Generally speaking now, yes, they are most often fancy bugs, but there are still a lot out there that are just trade items. If it's not trackable or not hooked to a dog tag it's a trade item like anything else (albeit much nicer than a mctoy). Sadly we aren't often lucky enough to find many of these out there anymore.

Edited an and to an or for clarity.

Edited by Hula Bum

--Redtailfalconer

Rtf, you do it because that's what you do. It's what we would do, if we had our own PC. I wouldn't let one jerk ruin your fun. Ignore the rats, and keep smiling; geez! is that corny, or what? :P

Going back to the original post, we buy too many geocoins, but we enjoy them, and it's our money, so why not? Better that than lots of other things, and compared to the price of Sharon's dolls, it's cheap thrills :D We put out activated geocoins to see where they go. We're lucky in SoCal to have a nice bunch of cachers who really appreciate seeing them, who move them around, who show them off to other cachers who discover them. It's neat to get e-mails that say, "Thanks for sharing." I troll the listings regularly, looking for new coins, even in caches that we've already found, just to go out and discover them, and maybe trade one we have for them, so that we can move them along. That's what geocoins are for us, mostly. We keep one of a few that we buy, if we really like the design. We never sell any on ebay or anywhere else, although we've occasionally bought an extra to trade with someone else who is trying to cut back on buying them. And we put out an occasional unactivated one as swag, but we never, never, ever mention that in our logs. We did it once, and it was a big mistake :D Bottom line, we like them, and just about every log we get has nice things to say about them, so why not keep doing it? :D

If it's not trackable and not hooked to a dog tag it's a trade item like anything else.

Careful, there! Lots of traveling geocoins are not connected to a dog tag; most of ours are not. They are still meant to travel, as the note inside the plastic bag that each coin is in states quite clearly. Lots of folks drill holes in the geocoins that they have activated and intend to be travelers, but many others do not. Blanket statements often just confuse the issue.

If it's NOT trackable or doesn't have a TB tag with it how would it travel and be tracked? I don't understand, that doesn't seem like a blanket statement, it seems like there is no way for it to travel and be tracked if it doesn't have one of those two things. Please help me!

The problem is, you said "If it's not trackable and not hooked to a dog tag it's a trade item like anything else."

You should have said "or" rather than "and".

I have placed several of our personal coins in caches as signature items (not really even as swag since I didn't take anything) for others to have.

As Tiki also did, ours are not trackable, not numbered.

Since I consider them sig items and not swag, I don't expect them to be traded for, so not disapointed if someone leaves a quarter behind after taking the coin.

Unfortunately we haven't been doing a lot of caching since we recieved the coins, so I haven't put as many out as I would have liked.

I have been laying low reading what everyone has been saying and looking at this forum along with looking close at the makers of these coins.

I start to see a bussiness here.

trading coins...ok makes sense. Would love to do it myself. Alot of neat stuff out there.

Selling coins for the cost and shipping/envelope etc maybe heck even add $0.25(that would be a quarter) for licking the stamp. But I am seeing $2....$3.....$4 dollars a pop being made on top of that.

Now the twist I am seeing......this is genius!!!! Give design to a mint and have them give you a handful of coins and they will sell the remainder at the typical $7.50-$10 mark and they pocket the rest.

Isnt geocaching and all that is involved supposed to be a grass roots kind of vibe. Get outside, nature, family time etc. Collecting coins? Why not part of the fun. But making this much money on it?!! Yuck dont like it!!

Yes it is your perogative to do it or not. But it does have a trickle effect and will reflect on the hobby as a whole. I am new and I have two friends that are getting into it along with me. Add in the fact that our wives are doing and our kids love it.

Now we see the bussiness and the money making on the side to an important part of G.C'ing (and that is collecting coins, pins etc.) and it just doenst make sense. Atleast not my(us).

I have been laying low reading what everyone has been saying and looking at this forum along with looking close at the makers of these coins.

I start to see a bussiness here.

trading coins...ok makes sense. Would love to do it myself. Alot of neat stuff out there.

Selling coins for the cost and shipping/envelope etc maybe heck even add $0.25(that would be a quarter) for licking the stamp. But I am seeing $2....$3.....$4 dollars a pop being made on top of that.

Now the twist I am seeing......this is genius!!!! Give design to a mint and have them give you a handful of coins and they will sell the remainder at the typical $7.50-$10 mark and they pocket the rest.

Isnt geocaching and all that is involved supposed to be a grass roots kind of vibe. Get outside, nature, family time etc. Collecting coins? Why not part of the fun. But making this much money on it?!! Yuck dont like it!!

Yes it is your perogative to do it or not. But it does have a trickle effect and will reflect on the hobby as a whole. I am new and I have two friends that are getting into it along with me. Add in the fact that our wives are doing and our kids love it.

Now we see the bussiness and the money making on the side to an important part of G.C'ing (and that is collecting coins, pins etc.) and it just doenst make sense. Atleast not my(us).

Making trackable coins helps support the site.

And shame on these people for making money! It should be a crime! How dare they spend hours upon hours working on a design, working with a coin company, packaging mailing, spending forever at the Post Office. Not to mention selling the coin, and getting flamed in the fourm. They should just do that for free!