S.E. MN/Rochester,MN cacher's?!

funkoptimus

Looking to get a few S.E. Minnesotans to hunt with. I am new to the hobby and looking to see if their is a group or club in the area. I know winter isnt the most ideal season but I got the bug to learn more and hang with some fellow cachers.

There is a CITO (Cache In Trash Out) event planned for Winona on Dec. 10. Check the listings in your account for more information. it would be a great way to meet some "local" cachers. Of those at the event, I've only met one, the organizer ("lagrac") once, while on the trail. Some of the others I know by seeing their signatures in area caches, and I look forward to meeting them in person.

Hope to see you there!

Hey, I'm in Rochester! welcome to caching!

I'm pretty new myself (about 3 months), but as far as I can tell. there's 2 groups that you might want to check out.

http://northstar-cachers.org/forum/index.php

Northstar cachers is a fairly new group that covers MN and WI. They are kind of small, but they seem very friendly, and the people have been very nice to me. There's a few people from our area there.

http://www.mngca.org/

the Minnesota Geocaching Association is a lot larger and older. I think they are all people who have been around together a lot longer. They have done some great things for caching, like getting geocaching back into Minnesota state parks, which I think is pretty cool. They don't seem to be very welcoming toward new people though, which I guess is normal if you've had the same group of people together for years.

I belong to both groups, and I think they are both great sources of info on area geocaching.

the Minnesota Geocaching Association is a lot larger and older. I think they are all people who have been around together a lot longer. They have done some great things for caching, like getting geocaching back into Minnesota state parks, which I think is pretty cool. They don't seem to be very welcoming toward new people though, which I guess is normal if you've had the same group of people together for years.

Actually Bad_CRC, I'm slightly offended by the offhand "they don't seem very welcoming toward new people comment". I saw the post and have been trying to figure out a response, but just leaving that statement here with no rebuttal seems detrimental to MN caching overall in my mind. Personally, I would say that statement is completly inaccurate. Both the ongoing monthly event's open to EVERY cacher in MN no matter what group, as well as our WeekNIGHT caching runs in the cities area, I have NEVER seen the group be unwelcome to newcomers when met in person. Forum posts are one thing, but we're cachers and we're real people, and the events in the area prove to me that members of BOTH groups are decent people. Do both groups have their own idiosyncricies: Yes, but you'll find that everywhere.

Yes, the MNGCA has been around for a while, and was orginazed to work with park districts, but most of the active members I speak to all have done the same thing I did. I attended an event, met some of the people involved, and then joined up once I realized these were people just like me, that enjoyed getting out and finding tupperware in the woods :wub:

Please, to everyone, MEET some of the people you're talking about IN PERSON before making judgements on entire organizations based on what you've heard or what you read in a forum...I think you'll find the MNGCA is as welcoming of a group as I have once you do that.

Sorry, I just had to respond...sorry if it seems a bit much...

Celticuwlf

I can see how it might appear to be the case that the MnGCA is a tight knit group of people with all the inside jokes that we have going on. Though tight knit doesn't necessarily mean they aren't as a whole unwelcoming to new people. After a few caches, beers, or conversations it becomes pretty apparent that we just like running around the woods.

Just my $.02-- if I ever get to Rochester area for some caching we can head out sometime.

Btw, were you *really* the guy who created All Your Base Are Belong to Us flash?

I thanx for all the rplies thus far. Look me up if any of you want to cache together. Just shoot me an email a day ot two in advance.

As far as the MGA goes I have been warned that they are not the warmest to newbies and are a tight knit group as far as the more original memebers go. I have heard this from a few different geocachers in Minnesota. I have also heard this from Wisconsin cachers. It was warning that they might come off this way not that they are to everyone but have given that impression to others.

I will wait to judge myself.

Actually Bad_CRC, I'm slightly offended by the offhand "they don't seem very welcoming toward new people comment".

Sorry, I just had to respond...sorry if it seems a bit much...

Celticuwlf

I was only passing along my own experience, sorry if I stated it badly it wasn't intended to offend anyone. We're all in this addiction together. :(

As far as the MGA goes I have been warned that they are not the warmest to newbies and are a tight knit group as far as the more original memebers go. I have heard this from a few different geocachers in Minnesota. I have also heard this from Wisconsin cachers. It was warning that they might come off this way not that they are to everyone but have given that impression to others.

I will wait to judge myself.

Please do judge yourself. As stated earlier, the group has some fairly tight-knit circles, although there are people that are very new to the sport that are in these circles too. It's not an exclusive group by any means - it's an organization formed for everyone.

There are those that have had their disagreements with the MnGCA in the past. You'll find that with any group.