Identity Theft

Friends,

I'd like to share a story with you all. We've all seen the TV ads and heard the horror stories about identity theft, but the most of us just think 'well, it won't happen to me'. That's what I thought, until I found out last week that someone in thailand had cleared out my bank account...

I'm always very vigilant when it comes to using my cards and disposing of my documents. When I go online I always check for the security certificate, I never let my cards out of site, I always check for devices on ATMs and ALL of my unwanted documentation gets shredded. So how can somebody create a clone of my switch card and use it in another country to clear my account?

The bank (****) has been very unhelpful, informing me that I didn't take out the optional card protection (which I didn't know I needed to have). They have no idea how the monies came to leave my account, and are currently 'investigating'.

There are ways in which you can protect against this;

• Check with the bank to make sure you have card protection
  • Avoid using debit cards online (credit cards are safer)
  • Never let anyone take your card away, always go with it
  • Check ATMs (cash machines) for devices where you put your card in
  • Always cover the keypad when you input your pin
  • Destroy all personal documentation by shredding or burning
  • Regularly check your statements for unusual activity

I hope my experience can act as a bit of a wakeup call to everyone. This time they only got away with £900, but it could have been so much worse.

Edited by Deceangi

someone in thailand had cleared out my bank account...

This is so far off topic you couldn't find it with a GPS... However, I'll add before it gets closed, that a local Petrol forecourt has been in the press here in Peterborough as many users of it have found that after paying via chip & pin, their accounts have had additional transactions charged against them in Thailand also.

Also, this isn't "Identity Theft", it's card cloning.

J

Edited by dakar4x4

This happened to us a couple of years ago. We had just over £600 taken in a under a 24 hour period. Luckily after an investigation ******** Bank did refund the full amount. Some amounts were for £1.80 and others over £100 a time. As I check my banking everyday we were lucky to have just this amount swiped :unsure:

Edited by Deceangi

Are you saying that **** will not consider any refund because you didn't take out insurance with them?!

Considering they leave personal details in rubbish bags outside for normal refuse collection what else can be expected! The irony of all of this that they do not wish to get involved and can actually make money out of the fraud. For example you have lost your money, the merchant who someone premably spent the money with has had a chargeback fee for a fradulent purchase and has lost his goods - who wins? the fraudster AND the bank. Had you taken out insurance the bank would've made money on that too!

Sorry to rant on. You are of course correct that it doesn't just happen to someone else - but I don't believe the banks do nearly enough about it, considering the profits they make out of us.

Edited by Deceangi

Same just happened to a friend of ours.

The culprit worked in a store and noted parts of card numbers from regular customers a bit at a time until she had enough details to clear out hier credit cards.

Having watched some recent programs the call centres for these cards are not secure esp with the advent of pen drives.

There are two petrol stations local to me that are well known for having cloned people's cards...

Three of my friends have all had money withdrawn from their accounts and have both used one or the other of these petrol stations. The Police know about it, but say there is little evidence that points to the petrol stations themselves.

My advice? Use a credit card and pay if off at the end of the month.

The bank (****) has been very unhelpful, informing me that I didn't take out the optional card protection (which I didn't know I needed to have).......

Thanks for the heads up, I use that bank and will checking if I need (or have) the insurance.

Fortunately I tend to use a credit card online rather than my debit card. Idea being that if the card gets cloned, it's not really my money being pinched and the credit card is insured for that kind of fraud.

--------------

I do agree that this thread is very "off topic", but rather than a Mod close it, could they move it to the off topic forum.

This thread deals with a serious point and has informed me of an issue regarding insurance that I was oblivious to.

Edited by Deceangi
Also, this isn't "Identity Theft", it's card cloning.

There's always one, isn't there...

It is quite true though. Identity theft would have been if they had set up a new account or applied for credit, or amended one of your accounts or credit agreements by wholly assuming your identity and being able to prove themselves as such. Card cloning is giving themselves a mechanical/electronic method by which to access your existing accounts without setting up new ones etc.

Of course, this is irrelevant to you and the inconvinence and loss you have suffered.

Identity protection insurance is a percieved bonus, but it is no reason why the bank should not, and will not, investigate and resolve the missing money. It is in their best interest as they will be constantly trying to reduce the total amount they have to charge off due to fraud or bad debt, and this will be (sadly) one of many many many cases they will be working on constantly. I'm presuming that you can prove that you weren't in Thailand at the time, and that your PIN wasn't used in an ATM there in order to access the money (something you could have disclosed via your negligence or allowing family members to use it etc.).

Good luck for a positive resolution. Make sure you continue to stand your ground with the bank, you DON'T need Indentity theft protection to have this investigated and refunded. The bank would have to prove gross negligence on your part in order to refuse investigation and refund.

James

Edited by Team 'James W'

This was my experience from about 2 yrs ago :

I received my CC statement and noticed that someone was placing bets up to £500 a time each day and once they had won, they were putting the £500 straight back into my account so that when I came to check the balance in-between statements it was always the same, for example say I had a balance of £1000 outstanding one day, they would take out the £500, bet it and then put the £500 straight back within mins so if I checked my balance the following day it would still be £1000, so basically they were betting with my money and keeping the winnings.

It was only when I actually received my monthly statement thru the post and checked the actual transactions that I noticed the activity.

When I put a stop on my account thru the C.C. company I decided to do abit of finding out for myself and found out that the company who took the bets had opened an account with my C.C. number and a PHOTOCOPY of my passport...... I mean a photocopy !!!!!

I actually asked the betting company concerned what did I look like and they replied that they didn't understand the question and I explained that because it was a photocopy, it could have been anyone with my name 'tipexed' or whatever over the original name and then I think that the penny dropped at their end......

They even added that 'I' had asked for an increase on my C.C. limit and that because 'I' had been a good customer for a month, that they could do this on my behalf ?!?!

Unbelievable..... :unsure:

So basically, they were trying out my account for a month, seeing if I hadn't noticed the comings and goings and then was going to bet the full amount with the increased limit and take the lot.

This was all going on in Holland- Amsterdam which I visited over a yr previously and the only time I used my C.C. over there was to pay for the hotel.

Admittedly, the C.C. company were very understanding and closed my account immediately, as I had the actual card in front of me they couldn't say I acted with gross negligence and I also phoned the passport office and they said as long as I had my passport in front of me ( which I had ) there is no problems.

I will never use my debit card or simi to pay for anything and only use C.C.s when buying off the internet and I would advise everyone to do the same.

Hopefully, with the increased security that surrounds us these days, firms need alot more proof to open a betting account or any other account but again........

As an aside I had a "cloning" problem with my local petrol station in Watford a couple of years ago.

I wonder why it is Petrol stations rather than any other outlet that seems to be the common source for the cloning? Are we too busy watching our cars on the forecourt to notice our cards being double swiped or something? Is it their CCTV camera recording our PIN entry?

J

Are we too busy watching our cars on the forecourt to notice our cards being double swiped or something? Is it their CCTV camera recording our PIN entry?

How its done in some places: Over the counter, for security and robbing purposes a camera is fixed onto the ceiling directly above the desk. And most of the staff have access to the recordings on the security cameras. On the night shift the dodgy staff take out the tape and send it home via a lackey to copy it before the end of the shift, or they simply pause it in the right place and copy your details then. Locally to me the last three incidents involved this scam with overhead cameras. And they often see the pin number you type in because you are hiding it from people behind you, not above you. Also note you will see these overhead cameras in supermarkets and many shops now. If you spot one make moves to hide your card and pin number better - I now look like a schoolkid hiding their work from prying eyes, but better that then having what very little I have in my account cleared out.

Internet spyware can also trawl your PC while you are unaware for passwords and card numbers. I was attacked only yesterday while surfing on this forum oddly enough by a remote user in Poland, so make sure you're Anti-virus and firewalls are up to date.

In Coventry and Warwickshire it was ***** petrol station customers having problems with clones being made from chip and pin cards.

I wasn't going to name the garage, but now you have, both garages doing this in Peterborough were also ****** ones.

J

Edited by Deceangi

Always be very wary of the freestanding cash machines (as opposed to the hole-in-the-wall style), they are easier to tamper with.

The most common way of cloning cards is to place a card reader on top of the card slot in such a way that it just looks like it's part of the machine, and a small wireless camera above the keypad.

When I put a stop on my account thru the C.C. company I decided to do abit of finding out for myself and found out that the company who took the bets had opened an account with my C.C. number and a PHOTOCOPY of my passport...... I mean a photocopy !!!!!

{snip}

This was all going on in Holland- Amsterdam which I visited over a yr previously and the only time I used my C.C. over there was to pay for the hotel.

Many many hotels, particularly business ones, in lieu of filling in the registration card will just get you to sign the registration card and take a copy of your passport. This sounds very potentially very dodgy to me. And of course what will you be paying with when you check out? (I pay cash :cry:)

As for petrol stations, I got a block put on my card for 'possible fraudulent use' related to a petrol station just outside Ipswich.

don't forget the old fashioned way of swiping th cards when they used that little machine that had a slip in it with carbon paper. they used to collect the carbons.. all the details needly written down and a copy of your signature!

forget shreading i burn anything with any details on it. seems like too much work but for a few thousand pounds a hour or so putting together the shreaded stuff from your bin is worth their effort. don't forget if you shread you are actually showing them what they need to remove from the bin.!

Last year my brother had his CC cloned. He had never used it as he only had it for emergencies, and it had been locked away in his safe at home for over a year. Because it had an outstanding balance of £0.00 he got little correspondence from CC company and any disposed of was shredded. So the moral to this story is that they don’t even need direct access to your details. Fortunately the CC company credited the amount back without any argument but never did explain how this could have happened.

Always be very wary of the freestanding cash machines (as opposed to the hole-in-the-wall style), they are easier to tamper with.

As an aside to this, our local radio station was interviewing the Chief Cashier of The Bank of England earlier this week re counterfeit bank notes. He stated that the banks have automated machines for checking bank notes and that all bank notes going into bank ATMs will have been checked. This is not the case for the freestanding types that you find in shops, these are filled and controlled by the shop. This means that they may inadvertently (or deliberately) top it up with counterfeit notes and you would probably have no come back even if you notice it at the time, how do you prove it came out of their machine!

forget shreading i burn anything with any details on it. seems like too much work but for a few thousand pounds a hour or so putting together the shreaded stuff from your bin is worth their effort. don't forget if you shread you are actually showing them what they need to remove from the bin.!

We compost our shreddings, let them try and put them together after the worms have eaten it :D . Good for the environment too B) .

Talking about identity theft, I got an email claiming that it came from paypal, it took me to this address - http://www.paypalchristmas.co.uk/ which claims it is a competition that you need to enter your details on. Firefox immediately identified this as a forgery site. I believe that the paypal email address finishes with .co.uk the email I received finished with .com

I have reported it to paypal just to be safe!!

Talking about identity theft, I got an email claiming that it came from paypal, it took me to this address - http://www.paypalchristmas.co.uk/ which claims it is a competition that you need to enter your details on. Firefox immediately identified this as a forgery site. I believe that the paypal email address finishes with .co.uk the email I received finished with .com

I had this email last night. Just deleted it. So its obviously doing the rounds.

Shredding is like mincing beef... much better if done twice. Even the bad guys don't have *that* much time :D

Shredding is like mincing beef... much better if done twice. Even the bad guys don't have *that* much time :D

My shredder munches the stuff up into little bits about 25mm x 6mm anyway B)

I had this email last night. Just deleted it. So its obviously doing the rounds.

Isn't the paypalchristmas site real?

http://tmwblogs.com/2006/11/paypal_microsite_1.html

Isn't the paypalchristmas site real?

http://tmwblogs.com/2006/11/paypal_microsite_1.html

That site means nothing to me. there are no links that I can find on the legitimate paypal site. If it was on the paypal site I would have thought it's address would have been http://www.paypal.co.uk/christmas/ rather than the address above.

I do however await a reply from paypal, but the site supplied asks for details, that I am not going to give.

I think the PayPal Christmas site is real. Its linked from the paypal.co.uk website. However firefox seems to think it isn't real. I suspect someone has incorrectly reported it as being a fake.

I have just had another look and it appears that you are correct, I now retract my original findings. :(:mad:

STOP PRESS!!!!!!!!

I have just received a reply from paypal, I think it confirms exactly my original concerns.

Thank you for contacting PayPal about a fraudulent (spoof) email or Web

site. We appreciate you bringing this suspicious email to our attention.

We can confirm that the email you received was not sent by PayPal. Any

website which may be linked to this email is not authorized or used by

PayPal.

Our fraud prevention team is working to disable any website linked to

this email. In the meantime, please do not enter any information into

this website. If you have already done so, you should immediately log

into your PayPal account and change your password, as well as your

security questions and answers. We also recommend that you contact your

bank and credit card company immediately.

Please follow the instructions below to report an unauthorized

transaction associated with your PayPal account:

If you are able to log into your PayPal account:

1. Log in to your account at https://www.paypal.com

2. Select the "Resolution Center" subtab.

3. Click "Open a dispute."

4. Select "Unauthorized transaction," then click "Continue."

5. Enter or select the transaction ID for the transaction you would like

to dispute, then click "Continue."

6. Complete the report for Unauthorized Use on a PayPal Account, then

click "Continue."

7. Confirm that the claim is correct, then click "Submit."

If you cannot log in to your account, follow the instructions below to

report an unauthorized transaction associated with your PayPal account:

1. Go to https://www.paypal.com/

2. Click on the "Security Center" link located at the bottom of any

page.

3. Under the "Report a Problem" column, click on "Unauthorized

Transaction."

4. Click "Continue" under "Unable to log in?"

5. Confirm that the transaction in question is unauthorized then click

"Continue."

6. Complete the report for Unauthorized Use on a PayPal Account, then

click "Preview."

7. Confirm that the claim is correct, then click "Submit."

8. Confirm your account ownership by entering the financial information

requested, then click "Continue."

Lastly, we recommend taking a few steps to protect yourself from

identity theft:

1. Download the SafetyBar, a toolbar for Outlook and Outlook Express,

which identifies known spoof emails.

2. Get eBay Toolbar with Account Guard which warns you when you're on a

potentially fraudulent (spoof) Web site.

3. Sign up for Equifax Credit Alerts for PayPal Users, a program that

provides an early warning detection system in the event of identity

theft. Find out more by visiting the PayPal Identity Protection Center

at www.paypal.com/idprotection.

4. Frequently monitor your PayPal account for suspicious activity.

For additional tips please visit the PayPal Security Center at

https://www.paypal.com/security.

Thank you again for sending us your report. We appreciate your efforts

to keep PayPal safe.

Sincerely,

PayPal

PayPal Account Review Department

I hope no one on here has entered their details??

I think the PayPal Christmas site is real. Its linked from the paypal.co.uk website. However firefox seems to think it isn't real. I suspect someone has incorrectly reported it as being a fake.

I am now wondering if the actual paypal.co.uk site is genuine? As my link to paypal in my browser is to paypal.com and all of the links in their email are to paypal.com. On paypal.com there is NO link to this competition but there is on paypal.co.uk!!

All very confusing!! :(:):mad::( I think I will be sticking with the advice from their email.

I'm no expert but looking a quick whois brings this up. It's not even hosted in paypals domain.

Domain name:

paypalchristmas.co.uk

Registrant:

Tullo Marshall Warren Ltd

Registrant type:

Not supplied

Registrant's address:

81 Kings Road

Chelsea, London

W9 1DR

United Kingdom

Registrant's agent:

Easily Limited t/a easily.co.uk [Tag = WEBCONSULTANCY]

URL: http://www.easily.co.uk

Relevant dates:

Registered on: 09-Nov-2006

Renewal date: 09-Nov-2008

Registration status:

Registration request being processed.

Name servers:

dns0.easily.co.uk

dns1.easily.co.uk

Edit:

Just to say I did notice this on the paypalchristmas site.

Promotion run by a third party on behalf of PayPal. PayPal (Europe) Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority

Edited by stora

Registrant:

Tullo Marshall Warren Ltd

Edit:

Just to say I did notice this on the paypalchristmas site.

Promotion run by a third party on behalf of PayPal. PayPal (Europe) Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority

My link above sent you to an article about the promotional paypal site on TMW's site.

If PayPal.com don't talk to PayPal.co.uk and keep them up to date with their promotions, that's shocking!

Edited by Team 'James W'

And here's me trying to find a bank called "******"

I just assmuned they were all swearing... politely!

There was a spate of card cloning linked to tampered with cashpoints in my area (is it just me who finds it requires extra co-ordination to type 'cash'?!!) recently. I am very wary of them all now and have reported a couple when they looked as if they may have been tampered with (ie screws loose).

I had unauthorised use of my credit card a while ago. I do not generally use the card, so they contacted me to check up. It was a subscription to the online **** website. I had never even been on their website. The CC company refunded my money and canelled the card and send me a new one, with new number... next month, same thing, a subscription to ***** on the new card!!!

I shred all documents with my name and address details on them. Because of the high volume of junk mail I get (especially invites to get new credit cards, loans and my personal favourite, credit card cheques from my existing CC!!) I seem to spend my entire life shredding stuff. I am too paranoid to chuck it out, so I too have been burning it! Oops, there goes the ozone layer!

Edited to remove company name Deceangi

Edited by Deceangi

And here's me trying to find a bank called "******"

I just assmuned they were all swearing... politely!

There was a spate of card cloning linked to tampered with cashpoints in my area (is it just me who finds it requires extra co-ordination to type 'cash'?!!) recently. I am very wary of them all now and have reported a couple when they looked as if they may have been tampered with (ie screws loose).

I had unauthorised use of my credit card a while ago. I do not generally use the card, so they contacted me to check up. It was a subscription to the online **** website. I had never even been on their website. The CC company refunded my money and canelled the card and send me a new one, with new number... next month, same thing, a subscription to ***** on the new card!!!

I shred all documents with my name and address details on them. Because of the high volume of junk mail I get (especially invites to get new credit cards, loans and my personal favourite, credit card cheques from my existing CC!!) I seem to spend my entire life shredding stuff. I am too paranoid to chuck it out, so I too have been burning it! Oops, there goes the ozone layer!

Here's an example for you.

cashpointSWNS140306_450x350.jpg

edited to remove company name

Edited by Deceangi

As there is a on-going Police investigation into card cloning, please do not post company names so as not to interfere with the investigation. Any post which has a company name in reference to card cloning, will be edited to remove the company name. The only alternative is to close the thread down., which as my colleague has already pointed out, is being allowed to run even though it breaches the forum guidelines.

Erm, I don't understand this, what's the problem with posting company names?! How could this effect anything the Police are doing?

I'm not sure since the company name is related to the story being told. It strikes me about like seeing a GPS thread with no company names.

"Hello I was looking at a ***** XL and wondered if anyone could compare it to the ******* 2000. The specks make them seem similar but I like the **** better even though it's more money than the *****."

Erm, I don't understand this, what's the problem with posting company names?! How could this effect anything the Police are doing?

As a Police Officer, I concur with this statement. It would only interefere with an on-going investigation if the station named also showed the address of the station. Furthermore, I would doubt if this was a national investigation but more of a single investigation with regards to each cloned card. There may be a series of cloned cards involved in one investigation.

Naming a particular company, in my view, would not prejudice an investigation. Why? Cos they're all at it! :tired: .

Seriously though, it's not the individual company at fault but individuals employed by the petrol companies. Saying this, the Mods are within their rights to edit/delete anything which, in their opinion, may be controversial. Knowing where these petrol stations and other locations are may help us, as a geocaching community, protect our interests and cash!