60csx/60cx GPS software version 2.90

hogrod

It seems like with 2.70 the unit would initially lock to 3 satellites (even if 6-9 were showing decent signal and visible) then search for another group. Even when strong lock was obtained on the initial 3, until a fourth lock was obtained the unit was still reporting searching for satellites, even though a 2D lock is possible w/ 3 birds.

Now with 2.90 I'm beginning to notice that the initial lock is occurring on 4, 5 & 6 birds, not just 3, thus eliminating that secondary waiting period (20-30 sec) in 2.70 where the unit was acquiring the 4th plus sat lock and begin reporting a position.

Anyone else noticing this or anything else???

This is exactly what I've noticed.

I jumped from 2.7 to 2.9 and have noticed the same change but it would also seem that in my area waas 51 is now my new favourite... locks quickly and I'm getting waas averaging in my basement. Before the 2.9 upgrade I rarely saw 51 (48 was the norm) and I could only get averaging in fairly open areas.

Yup, I noticed the same thing over the weekend...strong 51 (SE Michigan) and WAAS D's in the house where I never got WAAS before. Didn't try the basement... :laughing:

Gramin has good customer service, just lousy E-Mail notification.

Had a report from a friend that the units will now lock much quicker when moving. Formerly, as you my have noticed, if you turn the unit on while driving it took a long time to get a lock. It is now much quicker.

I installed the 2.90 update last night (after finding this thread earlier in the day - thanks!). Installation was seamless, the updated software version read 0.21 before rebooting and 2.90 afterwards. My ephemeris data collection under dynamics seems much improved!

(Actually, I don't have any idea how much better my ephemeris is, but the unit worked fine when tracking a cache this AM, no harm, no foul, and it's good to know the firmware is up to date...)

Edited by ghost640

I was one of the first to get my 60CSX so I have seen my share of upgrades to firmware in a short time. I was annoyed each time to see that with each upgrade always came a degradation to performance. When I bought the unit I constantly got 6 to 12 feet of accuracy and always around 9 satelites this dropped gradually with each upgrade until 2.70 was giving me an absolute maximum accurancy of 60 feet and always 3 or 4 satelites and never WAAS.

So I found by accident that 2.90 was out the other day as it listed the last update as July on Garmins website so I had over looked it until I read this forum. Anyway the unit had become almost unusable by the time I got to version 2.70 so I figured what the hell I may as well upgrade as I have nothing to loose. I read on the forums that many people didn't notice much of an improvement if any with this update so I was sceptical.

Well I have to say within a minute of turning it on I was amazed the changes for my unit personally were huge. Immediately inside a brick house during a snow storm I got 20 ft of accuracy, better than I have seen since my first upgrade way back. I braved the storm and went outside and got 12 ft of accuracy and better before running back inside. I am now even able to keep reception in the concrete basement.

The biggest improvement is that now the unit looks for 6 or 7 satelites to lock onto at the same time instead of wasting 2 minutes at a time trying to find groups of 3.

Accuracy is hugely improved and I can now get WAAS and the never before seen satelite 51 whatever that is.

I am happy this upgrade finally gives me the unit I payed a fortune for.

Congratulations!! I dont know why you had such poor performance before (older firmware) because I didnt see that as a common issue. You must have had a unique situation. Glad your back running with the big dogs again!!

I was one of the first to get my 60CSX so I have seen my share of upgrades to firmware in a short time. I was annoyed each time to see that with each upgrade always came a degradation to performance. When I bought the unit I constantly got 6 to 12 feet of accuracy and always around 9 satelites this dropped gradually with each upgrade until 2.70 was giving me an absolute maximum accurancy of 60 feet and always 3 or 4 satelites and never WAAS.

So I found by accident that 2.90 was out the other day as it listed the last update as July on Garmins website so I had over looked it until I read this forum. Anyway the unit had become almost unusable by the time I got to version 2.70 so I figured what the hell I may as well upgrade as I have nothing to loose. I read on the forums that many people didn't notice much of an improvement if any with this update so I was sceptical.

Well I have to say within a minute of turning it on I was amazed the changes for my unit personally were huge. Immediately inside a brick house during a snow storm I got 20 ft of accuracy, better than I have seen since my first upgrade way back. I braved the storm and went outside and got 12 ft of accuracy and better before running back inside. I am now even able to keep reception in the concrete basement.

The biggest improvement is that now the unit looks for 6 or 7 satelites to lock onto at the same time instead of wasting 2 minutes at a time trying to find groups of 3.

Accuracy is hugely improved and I can now get WAAS and the never before seen satelite 51 whatever that is.

I am happy this upgrade finally gives me the unit I payed a fortune for.