60csx/60cx GPS software version 2.90

hogrod

There is a new gps chipset update(2.90) avalible for the 60csx/60cx & 76csx/76cx via garmins website or garmins webupdater program. I installed the update without any issues.

Changes made from version 2.80 to 2.90:

* Improved ephemeris collection under dynamics.

* Additional SiRF maintenance improvements.

Changes made from version 2.70 to 2.80:

* Changes to improve factory testing.

Edited by hogrod

I did the update with webupdater, and when I look at the unit software versions (menu->setup->system->Menu->Software VersioN) it lists the GPS SW Version as 0.21. What does it list for others?

I've also downloaded it and ran the installer. Same thing.

Software Version 3.00 and GPS SW Version 2.90 in my Garmin Map 60 CSx

I did the update with webupdater, and when I look at the unit software versions (menu->setup->system->Menu->Software VersioN) it lists the GPS SW Version as 0.21. What does it list for others?

Software Version 3.00 and GPS SW Version 2.90 in my Garmin Map 60 CSx

Ok, now this is bizzare. I just turned it off, then back on, and it now lists it as SW version 2.90. wierd.

Tx for confirming the data for me!

This update seems to require Turning off the GPS, then back on, once it is updated to the new SiRF chipset software, and I got an error saying it was Version 2.70, and when I rebooted the GPS, it then said Version 2.90, which it should be.

Hum, mine showed the update fine before I turned it off & on again.

Many thanks: I signed up to be automatically notified of updates; I've checked and re-checked that I am really signed up, but I never get any notification mails!

The notification service is virtually useless, i'm on it too.

A: I don't think they even send out email's for gps software, just unit software.

B: When there is unit software, it takes 1-2 weeks for the email to go out.

Just check the forum, its the best way

Many thanks: I signed up to be automatically notified of updates; I've checked and re-checked that I am really signed up, but I never get any notification mails!

The notification service is virtually useless, i'm on it too.

A: I don't think they even send out email's for gps software, just unit software.

B: When there is unit software, it takes 1-2 weeks for the email to go out.

Just check the forum, its the best way

you can sign up for notification for the GPS chipset too, though like train man said the update will be out before you get the email.

To sign up for email notification for the GPS chipset, click the link on the right of the download page and follow instructions.

http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=1629

"Improved ephemeris collection under dynamics."

Ephemeris - A table giving the coordinates of a celestial body at a number of specific times during a given period.

Dynamics - The effects of forces caused by motion

I would say it improves the units ability to acquire signal when in motion.... that's just a guess.

Improved ephemeris collection under dynamics.

Additional SiRF maintenance improvements.

What these anyway!/?

Beside e-mail notification, date and time reset, ...

Can someone tell me what improvement this update will bring to this unit ???

Thanks. :cry:

The step of Ephemeris Collection is the process by which the receiver obtains the precise satellite orbit parameters from each satellite by decoding the broadcast 50 BPS data message. The ephemeris data provides the means by which the receiver computes the true position of each satellite as a function of time. Depending on where message synchronization is achieved relative to the 300 BPS message length, the process of ephemeris collection can take between 18 and 30 total seconds.

-This step will be improved. :cry:

This seems to be happening to me all the time. The fist time I got worried. Then I realized I had to power off the unit every time after any update.

Question? Would it be a good idea to hard reset the unit to make it go out and get all the initialization data for the new software?

No need to. My seemed to gather its new almanac just fine in a few minutes by letting it see the sky again. All is AOK and operating fine with WAAS corrections.

worked great for me. I just used webupdated and when it turned back on after its little cycle it read 2.80/3.00. No extra reboot needed.

By the way, it should be 2.90/3.00.

My update using the webupdater went fine. Update, turn it off, go outside, turn it on and aquire the sats. No issues.

I'm at work so I sent myself email to remind me to do this tonight. Thanks for the update. Like others here, I didn't get a notice from Garmin even though I'm signed up for email notification.

I never got any email notification either even though I signed up, I got lucky checking the update page.

Has anyone noticed a change in the timing of the turn-warning signal? To me the final warning seems to come a little bit earlier.

Now THAT would be a welcome change. I've always felt that the warning on my 76CSx was much later than on my old 76CS. When there is a long off ramp it can be a real problem.

Hmmm...mine says I already have the latest version (for the 60CSx). How do I tell what version it is? I don't see it saying anything about version number on the welcome screen when I turn it on.

Also, totally unrelated, but under Setup-> Units there is a Temperature (Fahrenheit/Celcius) setting. What is this for? Surely there isn't a thermometer in the thing, is there? If there is, I apparently have never ran across it, and can't figure out how to use it, but it sure would be handy.

To check software version goto main menu, setup,system, on the system screen press menu and select software version.

You should see software version 3.00 and GPS SW version 2.90 if you have done the update, if you use garmins webupdater and run it twice it will get both updated. The webupdater will check and say something like your garmin device already has the latest version, then you get two options, first is proceed to check to additional updates, and second is reinstall the same verison. select proceed to check for additional software, this will update the GPS SW version to 2.90.

Edited by hogrod

To check software version goto main menu, setup,system, on the system screen press menu and select software version.

You should see software version 3.00 and GPS SW version 2.90 if you have done the update, if you use garmins webupdater and run it twice it will get both updated. The webupdater will check and say something like your garmin device already has the latest version, then you get two options, first is proceed to check to additional updates, and second is reinstall the same verison. select proceed to check for additional software, this will update the GPS SW version to 2.90.

Thanks. That did it....they sure don't make it easy to find your software versions.

No one seems to be reporting any (noticable) improvements - but then it does say changes are to improve factory testing ... in which case they must be getting a lot of units back for repair.

Long shot ... any improvement in the UK EGNOS/WAAS no 'D's situation?

Edited by glowball

No one seems to be reporting any (noticable) improvements - but then it does say changes are to improve factory testing ... in which case they must be getting a lot of units back for repair.

Long shot ... any improvement in the UK EGNOS/WAAS no 'D's situation?

I've had this on for a day or so now so I have nothing definitive, but...

It seems like with 2.70 the unit would initially lock to 3 satellites (even if 6-9 were showing decent signal and visible) then search for another group. Even when strong lock was obtained on the initial 3, until a fourth lock was obtained the unit was still reporting searching for satellites, even though a 2D lock is possible w/ 3 birds.

Now with 2.90 I'm beginning to notice that the initial lock is occurring on 4, 5 & 6 birds, not just 3, thus eliminating that secondary waiting period (20-30 sec) in 2.70 where the unit was acquiring the 4th plus sat lock and begin reporting a position.

Anyone else noticing this or anything else???

I had a slight problem no one listed here. I connected my 60csx and ran webupdater. It said no new updates. I checked Garmin's site and it listed the old update from July. I picked the option to reinstall the same software (2.70/3.00) and reinstalled. It came up 2.90/3.00! It did change the clock which I'm about to go outside and fix. Everything seems to be fine. Why didn't the Webupdater note the new SW?

Anyway, thanks for the info and heads up to update.

Has anyone noticed a change in the timing of the turn-warning signal? To me the final warning seems to come a little bit earlier.

Now THAT would be a welcome change. I've always felt that the warning on my 76CSx was much later than on my old 76CS. When there is a long off ramp it can be a real problem.

I need to test my 60cx next to my legendC but it seems the 60cx is giving me warnings slightly earlier when autorouting that it did before.

Thanks for the report, 8mmag.

Just to specifically ask... Has anybody who has upgraded tried powering the unit on after having been off for, say, 12-24 hours, in a moving vehicle to see if lock acquisition while moving has changed/improved?

It is possible the effect or improvments are minimal, but I just am trying to understand if multiple people have actually tried this or not and what the general results were. If it weren't for the anecdotal report of possible issues I would have already upgraded. I'm just hoping to get feedback from people who have already taken the plunge.

Just to specifically ask... Has anybody who has upgraded tried powering the unit on after having been off for, say, 12-24 hours, in a moving vehicle to see if lock acquisition while moving has changed/improved?
That was the first thing I tried. No noticeable difference. It took 3 blocks to lock. As far as anecdotal sightings, consider how many hundreds of people have said nothing. Is it worth upgrading for no noticeable difference?

It seems like with 2.70 the unit would initially lock to 3 satellites (even if 6-9 were showing decent signal and visible) then search for another group. Even when strong lock was obtained on the initial 3, until a fourth lock was obtained the unit was still reporting searching for satellites, even though a 2D lock is possible w/ 3 birds.

Now with 2.90 I'm beginning to notice that the initial lock is occurring on 4, 5 & 6 birds, not just 3, thus eliminating that secondary waiting period (20-30 sec) in 2.70 where the unit was acquiring the 4th plus sat lock and begin reporting a position.

This is exactly what I've noticed.

After upgrading to ver. 2.90 the other day, I went out today to do a few trails. Unit turned on....ok....but, all the MapSource maps were gone! I walked a few miles and it appeared to be working; adding a few POI's along the way. Got home a few mins. ago to check what I had....not much. My 76csx did not record the full track...only about a half mile; it did have the POI's. but no tracks!!! I just uploaded a map of my state only...checked and it is on. I am going to try it the first thing in the am and see if it will record my track. Any ideas on this one? Thanks.

Edited by Dirtnapper

This is exactly what I've noticed.

I jumped from 2.7 to 2.9 and have noticed the same change but it would also seem that in my area waas 51 is now my new favourite... locks quickly and I'm getting waas averaging in my basement. Before the 2.9 upgrade I rarely saw 51 (48 was the norm) and I could only get averaging in fairly open areas.