FORESTRY COMMISSION LEADS THE WAY TO A HEALTHIER FUTURE

Johnmelad

The Forestry Commission has, today, celebrated the dedication of its estate for permanent public open access allowing future generations to enjoy the healthy environment of its woodlands and forests.

Forestry Commission Chairman, Lord Clark of Windermere said:

“I am delighted that the Forestry Commission is leading the way by dedicating its land so that the general public are able to enjoy our woods and forests in perpetuity. This means that we have secured a fantastic resource which will be used to help to improve the health of our nation”

The Forestry Commission will be dedicating all its freehold estate, adding an additional 17 per cent of land to the amount of land available under the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000.

Lord Clark said “We have permitted access to our woods for decades, so dedication is a catalyst for the process of encouraging even greater recreational use of our woodland”

Does this mean we no longer need to pay £50 to place caches on their land?

I'm afraid Open Access only gives the right to roam and other certain listed activity's in any designated area, as Geocaching was not included in the legislation. Any Landowner Placement Agreement for that area still stands.

The NW FC is viewable at GAGB GLAD I would add that it is the opinion of the UK Reviewing team as well that, we too wish to avoid a precedent over the payment for a permit for permission to place a cache being set.

For any one interested in a quick guide to what is allowed on CROW land [Countryside and Rights of Way act] have a look at The bosses web site [Lactodorum] :unsure:

Deceangi

I wonder why Johnmelad's new cache got permission without payment then - it's on forrestry commission land and is in the North West? Perhaps the Forrestry commission are beginning to back down!

John... did they even mention the £50 to you when you got permission?

I hope they have started to back down - afterall, we'd be bringing much needed visotors to their "attractions!"