60Cx Reception issues

metalrex

Any one notice the reception is very similar to that of the etrex models? My friend and I just started to geocach and I noticed that it is taking about as long for my 60cx to lock in to satellites as it does his legend cx. In the car, the signal strength is the same. I have also noticed—not sure on his unit—but when sitting in my front room working on the computer, the signal strength is weak and it takes more than 15-20 seconds to acquire a single satellite. Would a wireless router cause interference with the signal of the gps? I have a bay window in this room that should allow a signal to pass easily. Though I have not compared the two in the forests here, I worry that I wasted money and could have bought the legend cx and saved. Any thoughts or advice would be helpful.

I own a 60cx and a legendC, sometimes the 60cx takes as long to get signal as the legendC(usually the 60cx is slightly quicker). Turn both units off after getting signal the 60cx will take only a few seconds to regain lock vs 15-40sec for the legendC. also when your in a poor signal environment like indoors or the deep woods the 60cx holds lock much better. The 60cx seems to update it's position much more often than the legendC, giving very accurate coordinates all the time, not just when your out in the open.

I would say make sure you have the most current unit software/firmware installed, I remember one of the older firmwares seemed to take longer to acquire lock.

I own a 60cx and a legendC, sometimes the 60cx takes as long to get signal as the legendC(usually the 60cx is slightly quicker). Turn both units off after getting signal the 60cx will take only a few seconds to regain lock vs 15-40sec for the legendC. also when your in a poor signal environment like indoors or the deep woods the 60cx holds lock much better. The 60cx seems to update it's position much more often than the legendC, giving very accurate coordinates all the time, not just when your out in the open.

I would say make sure you have the most current unit software/firmware installed, I remember one of the older firmwares seemed to take longer to acquire lock.

i was unaware that you could update the unit. is that done at garmin?

i was unaware that you could update the unit. is that done at garmin?

There is a link in the pinned FAQ at the top of this forum that has links to the garmin pages for updating firmware.