Until it breaks

Matata

What a shocking disapointment :huh: ... after only 15 month of smooth (more or less) work, I encountered today trouble with connecting my Garmin GPSmap 60CS via the USB cable to my computer... it just did not recognise any hardware... well after login off and restarting for the 5th time I suddanly got a last wimp or beep from the unit... just as I touched the cable close to the gps's port... So I pulled out the cable to examin the port only to find that there was bondage of the closes kind... the port came right out the case stubornly hanging on the plug... THIS IS THE END... it flashed across my mind ...of my USB port... second flash where dollar signs in mass action...

Now to cut a frustrating story short, has anybody out there experienced similar problems and if where and how much did the repairs cost??? I checked the Garmin site which gives a quick-shock rate of $150 + $25 for shipping (R1250.00) for total factory overhowls... I guess that would be the top limit...

But yes, I love to hear your experience out there. :laughing:

Now to cut a frustrating story short, has anybody out there experienced similar problems and if where and how much did the repairs cost??? I checked the Garmin site which gives a quick-shock rate of $150 + $25 for shipping (R1250.00) for total factory overhowls... I guess that would be the top limit...

I assume this implies you did not buy the unit in SA??

Well I went strait to Garmin since it takes pretty much the same time for me to get to Avnic in Cape Town or send the unit strait overseas :D Also since I heard nothing nice from Avnic yet (I had a British tour operater here to establish an adventure deal for overseas tourists, and while checking out our MTB tracks he had a crash and damaged his Garmin, only to find out that Avnic refused to repair it since it was a "overseas unit" B) . puts you kind of off doesn't it?!)

Anyway Product Support AssociateGarmin (Europe) Ltd (Edward Webber) came back starit away with asimilar rate of £80 (R1120.00) :huh:

So I guess I'll give Avnic a call after all - it might just put a smile back on my face and faith into Garmin again :P

Edited by Matata

B) Yeeeeha Let me start 2007 with good news!!! I've got my GPS back nice and fixed with out having to take a third bond on my house either :ph34r: AND it was done local too!!! which is important to know for all the sceptics out there (of which I WAS one of'm) Now here a quick cronical of what happen after the 29th of Nov.

04 Dec Mon - I e-mailed Avnic at Mount Edgecombe S 29.42.556 E 31.02.368 (candida@avnic.co.za) which was the only address on their website... :laughing:

05 Dec Tue - Coleen from Cape Town replys sweet and short: "The unit is repairable - the turn around time for repairs at the moment is about a week. The cost of this repair will be R350.00 ex VAT. " No question this had me jump with joy :D:DB) reply service excellence!!!

06 Dec Wed - My GPS catched a lift to CT with Matata2

08 Dec Fri - GPS took a ride via courier to Muizenberg

11 Dec Mon - GPS arrived at Muizenberg

18 Dec Mon - GPS repaired and Avnic e-mailed invoice

19 Dec Tue - Invoice Paid

20 Dec Wed - GPS arrived back in the CBD at Matata2's office

26 Dec Tue - Matata 2 arrive back in the Mountains B) AND the GPS too :D

29 Dec Fri - GPS in action just in time to hide the "final" Waypoint-micro for our Geoteering multi cache :laughing:

30 Dec Sat - A new Geoteering record was reached :laughing:

So what more the THANKS A MILLLLLLL!!! B) to AVNIC for their great service can I say?!!!!

For me this was proof enough that the bush talk of "self-imported GPS are not being serviced by Avnic" is no longer true and Avnic is not dicrimination against us immigrants. :unsure: My faith is back behind Garmin and Avnic :unsure:

But now I gota go and get my GPS settings right again... don't really like that pink back ground... :laughing:

Hi,

I've had very good service from AVNIC in CT! :laughing: A while ago I noticed dead backlight pixels on my GPSMAP 60CSx. Coleen from AVNIC asked me to bring the unit in. Two days later after they had a look at the GPSr they swapped the unit out for a new one and Coleen promptly sorted out the licenses for all the mapping software I purchased and installed. So the unit was bought in SA and it was still under guarantee, but still good service and I'd recommend a GARMIN unit any day.