going paperless caching

ok, I think I talked my wife into buying a pda for caching. instead of printing out each and every cache page.

After reading the geo university description, I have some questions.

1) the programs to make this work are loaded on your desktop computer? or on the pda

2) how much memory is needed to hold 500 cache pages?

3) is it necessary to have a color pda?

1) the programs to make this work are loaded on your desktop computer? or on the pda

Both. A desktop program is needed to prepare the files and another on the PDA to view the files.

2MB will hold more than a thousand.

No

I'd love a link to more forum topics about Paperless caching. THis being the Christmas season I was thinking of splurging on a PDA for just this type of activity. I have missed many a cache on the road by not having paper in hand wiht the hint.

I'd love recommendations, etc. since it seems you can get a lot for about $125.

Thanks forum members and cachers.

I'd love a link to more forum topics about Paperless caching. THis being the Christmas season I was thinking of splurging on a PDA for just this type of activity. I have missed many a cache on the road by not having paper in hand wiht the hint.

You can get a lot for $125 on Ebay! Make sure that you get a PDA that is readable in sunlight (Active Matrix LCD). It should have plenty of memory (32MB or more) for other programs and tons of caches! It should have the fastest processor you can get. If you use Cachemate you will appreciate having a fast PDA when you sort your PQ by closest cache.

THanks. All the posts on this topics (ie: in FAQ) link to articles that are 2 years old or so. I would think apps have changed. I use GSAK but given my skills with it I feel as if i am drinking from a firehose. It has many capabilties I do not know how to use (yet).

Having a PDA to carry cache information with me can be a great help.

THanks. All the posts on this topics (ie: in FAQ) link to articles that are 2 years old or so. I would think apps have changed. I use GSAK but given my skills with it I feel as if i am drinking from a firehose. It has many capabilties I do not know how to use (yet).

Having a PDA to carry cache information with me can be a great help.

GSAK is still the standard for the PC and Cachemate is still the standard for the Palm.

ok, I think I talked my wife into buying a pda for caching. instead of printing out each and every cache page.

I emailed you direct if you have any questions contact me.

I bought a zire 31 last year, I use GSAK and cachemate for my palm. I was totally lost until I ran across this atrical. It got me through the tough parts and now I'm so called "paperless" I hope it helps you out as well.

http://65.34.18.106/content.php?article.15

I realize that this reply is a little "late in the game", but I thought I would still add this "for completeness" though. Most people assume that you will use a "Palm" device as your PDA, and other devices using PocketPC or Windows Mobile do exist. If you get one of the latter devices, you don't need to load programs on your PC other than the sync to PDA software. The PcoketPC version of CacheMate can load GPX files directly without pre-processing them on your PC.

I have about 5500 caches loaded in my PocketPC Cachemate and the database on the PDA is about 8MB in size. I do use GSAK on my PC to export the GPX files for my CacheMate, so I do trim the PGX files down to only include the last 25 logs. Any PC pre-processing you can do is helpful as your PC usually has "resources to spare" while your PDA won't generally be as fast as your PC.

Color PDA's aren't required but it is nearly impossible to buy one that isn't color today.

One more side note. I know of some people who use GSAK on their PC, then export the cache descriptions to VCF files, then load those onto their iPod and then use that for reading the cache description. This is not as advanced as using a PDA, but it might be another excuse to get yourself an iPod if you don't already have one. :D

Here is a link to our local SoCalGeocaching forum with a good summary on paperless caching, and links to other resoures.

Also, if you are interested in benchmark hunting, GSAK and Cachemate work very well for that as well, with some differences. Here is a link to our Benchmark FAQ, with links on doing that. I have over 22,000 benchmark descriptions on my PDA, taking up only about 62MB memory. Pretty slick.

Save some trees!

For $100 or less? Not much. For about double that, you can get a decent unit. See the Palm website for a display of what they offer. The cheap Zire isn't worth the money, IMO. I've owned an M105, a Zire, a Zire 71, and now a T3. I wish I hadn't wasted the money on the first two, but at least I learned a few things playing with them. I could have learned the same things with a better model. Trying to save money doesn't always result in a savings.

So here is a silly ?....I am still learning...So are you using your pda also as your gps? I have a dell Axim x51v and had read somewhere is talked about gps but I am still confused. The paperless would be very nice..but if I could use it as my gps also that would be neat. Sorry once again for the silly ?s.

kansasRTs

Any one care to help me narrow down my choices for a PDA? Never owned one, but would like to. What can I get for $100 or less? I geocache also, so a PDA sounds great for this paperless caching. I would also use it for work also. What features do I look for?

Clueless in Wyoming

Unlike others have said... you can get alot of pda for under $100 if you are willing to buy from e-bay, and don't need the extra bells and whistles of the newer units. Many of us that have gone paperless use older model Palms, m5xx, m1xx, even ancient Palm III series units, which can be found for well under $100 on e-bay. 2MB memory will hold around 1000 caches using cachemate, so even the Palm III with 2MB memory will work well for general caching.

Personally, I would NOT want to use a new fancy PDA for geocaching, there are just so many opportunities for it to get damaged that I would prefer to use a unit I can easily replace for under $50.

For geocaching, there aren't really any features beyond the basics to look for.

For work, that depends on what you will do with it for work.

Many units allow you to add extra memory cards (the Palm M5xx series use SD (or MMC) cards) and you can have many thousands of cache pages loaded there, as well as any other stuff you may want for work.

If you have a Garmin iQue, you can use it as a GPS, because the GPS is built in. Otherwise, you have to connect a GPS to your PDA either via cable or bluetooth. It's not a great idea while geocaching. I use connect my PDA to my GPS all the time for driving directions, though. You do need a modern, capable PDA, though. The old Palms you get for $20 or so on ebay won't do the job for mapping, but will run simple GPS software if you can find a cable to connect to your GPS. They don't have bluetooth.

I realize that this reply is a little "late in the game", but I thought I would still add this "for completeness" though. Most people assume that you will use a "Palm" device as your PDA, and other devices using PocketPC or Windows Mobile do exist. If you get one of the latter devices, you don't need to load programs on your PC other than the sync to PDA software. The PcoketPC version of CacheMate can load GPX files directly without pre-processing them on your PC.

I have about 5500 caches loaded in my PocketPC Cachemate and the database on the PDA is about 8MB in size. I do use GSAK on my PC to export the GPX files for my CacheMate, so I do trim the PGX files down to only include the last 25 logs. Any PC pre-processing you can do is helpful as your PC usually has "resources to spare" while your PDA won't generally be as fast as your PC.

Color PDA's aren't required but it is nearly impossible to buy one that isn't color today.

One more side note. I know of some people who use GSAK on their PC, then export the cache descriptions to VCF files, then load those onto their iPod and then use that for reading the cache description. This is not as advanced as using a PDA, but it might be another excuse to get yourself an iPod if you don't already have one. :)

You can get a cheap Palm on Ebay for about $20 (including shipping). It's not fun to worry about banging your new $$$$ Palm around while out caching, but a $20 unit is easily replaced. I have two Palm IIIxe 's (one is a back-up). They hold about 1000 caches with all the writeups/info/hints, etc. They aren't color units, but that's no big deal.

I have purchased just about every type of PDA in the past couple months. I got a cheap palm, a mid-range color palm, and expensive palm, and finally an expensive pocket PC. So I figure I'm quite qualified in this area. :ph34r:

My recommendation is to get a cheap palm III off ebay to try it out. They really are perfect for geocaching.

I've seen them sell for less than 5 bucks, so you can get one for under 20 without much effort. They take regular batteries and are pretty easy to use.

I'd recommend that as a good route for caching, as they work great, and as mentioned before, for 20 bucks, you don't need to worry about dropping it (you will drop it) getting it wet (you will probably get it wet) or losing it on the trail somewhere (hopefully you won't, but there's a decent chance)

I loaded mine up with a bunch of games for my girlfriend to play while we are driving to the caches.

newer ones do more (I swear my pocket pc could slice bread if I download the right program) but aren't durable like a gps, and just aren't made for the geocaching environment.

I have also searched for ways to have everything needed and I found it. I have a PPPC-6700 pocketpc phone. I also bought an i.Trek M3 blue tooth GPS. Now for software - GeoScout. You can search for caches near current location, zip code, etc..... Now you have the descriptions, hints, and with an internet connection you can veiw the logs left. It even has a built in compass that uses the BT GPS to lead the way. Not sure if links to software is allowed or not but do a search for "geoscout geocaching" and it will be close to the top of the list.

Edited by scotcarter

I have also searched for ways to have everything needed and I found it. I have a PPPC-6700 pocketpc phone. I also bought an i.Trek M3 blue tooth GPS. Now for software - GeoScout. You can search for caches near current location, zip code, etc..... Now you have the descriptions, hints, and with an internet connection you can veiw the logs left. It even has a built in compass that uses the BT GPS to lead the way. Not sure if links to software is allowed or not but do a search for "geoscout geocaching" and it will be close to the top of the list.

I'm using the same phone, but with the Garmin 10 BT GPS. I just loaded GeoScout after having used (without problems) GPSDash2 and Garmin Que. and I get a message that says: “No data received from GPS for 5 minutes. Please check GPS connection and restart.” B) I can see the NMEA data scroll by before it crashes. Have you seen this with your set-up? I'm trying to figure out if it's the phone or the GPSr...

I also use a xv6700 (same as ppc6700, just a verizon carrier) and I have paired it with an iblue 737 bluetooth gps. I perfer to use beelinegps to read my gpx files and with data connection I can log finds right then and there.

So far my main problem is I am not familiar with the settings enough to know what to turn on or off to make it most accurate. Some times I am standing still and it says I am moving at 6-16 miles per hour with 8 sats locked in. I wonder if it has to do with the averaging settings.

As for it being to expensive for geocaching, thats why I have insurance :rolleyes: