Palm TomTom vs Garmin City Navigator

robotman

I currently use TomTom on my Palm T3 for auto navigation. I have no complaints. The 3D display, routing, and menus are awesome. Unfortunately, my T3 is starting to wear out and mounting and unmounting it from my windshield isn't going to last much longer.

I'm looking at the Garmin 60csx with the City Navigator v8 software. Will I be cringing the whole time if I try using this as an alternative to my TomTom?

It appears there is no voice navigation and only a 2D display. Besides those obvious differences, what are your opinions of the City Navigator software?

Thanks.

John

Moving from a more auto based solution to a GPS Handheld based solution will leave you dissapointed a bit in the routing.

That said, the Garmin routing software is top notch, it's just your change from a PDA to GPS that's going to cause you grief. The form factor change and not so much the software is the issue.

In the handheld GPS Garmin's City Navigator is as good as it gets.

Thanks for your feedback. I know my question is a little bit silly since TomTom is made just for auto navigation, but it's good to hear that Garmin did design a good GPSr-based system. I really couldn't get any sense for how Navigator even worked it from the Garmin website.

TomTom can reroute incredibly fast when you make a wrong turn. When we rent a car and use Hertz NeverLost it can take several minutes which is totally useless if you need to know immediately how to get back on course while navigating city streets. Sounds like the Garmin reroutes fairly fast.

It will be interesting (and hopefully not too painful) to make the switch. :laughing:

More opinions welcomed!

John

Thanks for your feedback. I know my question is a little bit silly since TomTom is made just for auto navigation, but it's good to hear that Garmin did design a good GPSr-based system. I really couldn't get any sense for how Navigator even worked it from the Garmin website.

TomTom can reroute incredibly fast when you make a wrong turn. When we rent a car and use Hertz NeverLost it can take several minutes which is totally useless if you need to know immediately how to get back on course while navigating city streets. Sounds like the Garmin reroutes fairly fast.

It will be interesting (and hopefully not too painful) to make the switch. :laughing:

More opinions welcomed!

John

I can't make a comparison about the Tom Tom but will share my thoughts on the subject since I have a Garmin 76CSX, a Garmin Street Pilot 2820 and a Garmin Quest. I only use City Navigator v8 on my Street Pilot and it is great with 3D and voice prompts. I left City Select on my 76CSX only because the main purpose of it is Geocaching. No 3D and only beeps for turn prompts. It recalculates fast enough for me and works fine for my purpose.

I also use a Palm Treo 700p with GSAK and Isilo to go paperless and everything blends together very well.

I think your satisfaction will rest on how you use it but to me the Garmin packages do an excellent job.

I own both a TomTom Go 910 and a Garmin 60CSX. I have never cached with the TomTom, but hands down is better then the CSX for driving. My wife really uses the TomTom and I use my 60CSX. I use the Garmin for driving directions and it work pretty good. The small map can be limiting. I certainly would not want to cache with the TomTom. It would give you away in the woods when it says, "Turn left at the next Oak tree" :laughing:

If I had to pick one... 60CSX. It's a great unit.

I currently have TomTom and love it. With GSAK I can even upload the GC caches files to TomTom and use them as destination points. TomTom doesn't work good at actually locating the cache (since most caches are off road), but it's great at getting you to where to park the car.

I've tried the TomTom GPS transmitter with CacheMate and I think I've found one cache that way. Not very good. Defintely a handheld GPSr is the way to go for the actual caching. Sounds like the 60csx will be an adequate back-up to TomTom but not a replacement.