Garmin 60csx case suggestions?

robotman

Can anyone suggest a case that works for the Garmin 60csx that you do NOT have to remove before putting the 60csx into the Garmin dash mount?

It seems like the Garmin case is a bit tight for the 60csx, so even if there's not one compatible with the dash mount, ANY alternative case suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks.

John

Can anyone suggest a case that works for the Garmin 60csx that you do NOT have to remove before putting the 60csx into the Garmin dash mount?

It seems like the Garmin case is a bit tight for the 60csx, so even if there's not one compatible with the dash mount, ANY alternative case suggestions would be welcomed.

The only good reason for using a case that I can see is to protect the screen. I just use an invisible shield screen protector and forget about the case. It will fit in any mount you want. I use Ram mounts in the car and the Garmin bicycle mount.

Although the screen protector does protect the screen from scratches, I enivitably drop my GPSr while hiking and it gets scratches. I like to have a protective case since I'm so clumsy. :unsure:

Thanks for the link to the sharkskin case. I hadn't seen the sharkskin covers, just the neoprene ones that would be harder to cut to fit the mount.

John

What is on the back of the BE-130 sharkskin case? Is there a hole for the belt clip stub on the GPS, or does the case have its own belt loop or clip?

What I want to do is have a case that stays on all the time (except battery and chip changes) and cut holes for the belt clip stub and power connector. I would also cut out the clear plastic over the buttons to make them easier to push. Given the choice between the Garmin case and the BE-130 case, which would be better for this?

I am using an InvisibleShield, so I may want to cut the entire clear plastic area out so the screen and buttons are exposed. Would the BE-130 be okay with that extreme of a modification? How about the Garmin case? What is it made of? It already has a hole for the belt clip stub.

What is on the back of the BE-130 sharkskin case? Is there a hole for the belt clip stub on the GPS, or does the case have its own belt loop or clip?

I bought the Cartom protector case and found out that you need to take that mounting stud out for it to fit inside the case. I also had to take the lanyard off. It also is a pain to remove so now I'm back to wrapping it in a bandana so it doesn't get scratched in my pack.

You hit the nail on the head, what case can you use that is easily removed for vehicle use and also be able to clip on the belt holder? Removing and replacing that stud thing over and over can't be good for it.

I bought the Cartom protector case and found out that you need to take that mounting stud out for it to fit inside the case. I also had to take the lanyard off. It also is a pain to remove so now I'm back to wrapping it in a bandana so it doesn't get scratched in my pack.

You hit the nail on the head, what case can you use that is easily removed for vehicle use and also be able to clip on the belt holder? Removing and replacing that stud thing over and over can't be good for it.

Thanks for the information on the Cartom. That definitely will rule it out for me. My ideal would be to find a form-fitting case that I leave on all the time (with holes cut for connector and belt clip access). When packing the GPS, I would leave it in its form-fitting case and put it inside a slightly larger padded case that has a compartment for spare batteries.

So, now I am down to the Garmin, Gilsson and BE-130 cases for consideration. I would really appreciate hearing from current users which of these cases would hold up best if I cut holes in the back for the belt clip and power connector. Since the Gilsson has a belt clip, it is probably not okay. The Garmin case already has a hole for the belt clip (according to the pictures I see). I still haven't heard from anybody on what the BE-130 has on the back, a clip or a hole for the GPS belt clip stud?

Is there anything now available since the last post in this topic back in Nov 2006? I just bought the same unit and want to protect it for the same reasons; I am clumsy and drop everything.

I think you will find my review of the Garmin case will answer all your questions. Click this link.

I have had the case for two years now and it still works perfectly for me.