Rock Containers

Hammer Drill and the corresponding bits, or with a Star drill that you hit with a sledgehammer.

Another more crafty idea that can be quite fun is to make latex mold of a unique rock, then cast the rock using colored cement.

There is a local cacher that loves to cast cement rocks, using waterproof match holders as cache containers.

I've seen fake rocks made using that foam spray you find in hardware stores. A container is placed on a table lid down and the foam is sprayed over it. Once dry its shaped, then painted with Fleckstone or some other stone-like finish. I tried it and it came out horribly (it looks like spilled concrete at a construction site), but the ones I've seen that were made by others looked very rock like.

Edited by briansnat

I am well known in my area for hiding fake rock caches. They don't usually fool geocachers, but they don't attract the attention of muggles and they stay unmuggled much longer. I have one (hidden in conjunction with a local) in downtown San Francisco (poet's peak) in a very high traffic location that has gone unmuggled for years.

The main thing to remember is that cement won't usually stick (much) to plastic grocery bags, the cheap ones you bring your groceries home in.

What I've found is that if you embed a regular size container in cement, the shell eventually breaks from handling. it's much better to take a regular size container (rubbermaid advised), and swath it with those grocery bags, quite a few of them. Then take straight cement (not mix) and form a shell around the swathed container. Shape as you wish - even just a simple roundish blob is effective for the stated purpose. Let dry, invert, strip out the bags and you have a shell that fits over the container. Spray paint of various flat dark colors helps.

While you're at it, take some film cans and wrap some grocery bag remnents around the lip of the capped end. Again, put some cement over that. When dry, you strip out the plastic and take an old screwdriver to what remains, enough to make it so you can take the lid off. Cheaper than a keyholder rock.

I am well known in my area for hiding fake rock caches. They don't usually fool geocachers, but they don't attract the attention of muggles and they stay unmuggled much longer. I have one (hidden in conjunction with a local) in downtown San Francisco (poet's peak) in a very high traffic location that has gone unmuggled for years.

The main thing to remember is that cement won't usually stick (much) to plastic grocery bags, the cheap ones you bring your groceries home in.

What I've found is that if you embed a regular size container in cement, the shell eventually breaks from handling. it's much better to take a regular size container (rubbermaid advised), and swath it with those grocery bags, quite a few of them. Then take straight cement (not mix) and form a shell around the swathed container. Shape as you wish - even just a simple roundish blob is effective for the stated purpose. Let dry, invert, strip out the bags and you have a shell that fits over the container. Spray paint of various flat dark colors helps.

While you're at it, take some film cans and wrap some grocery bag remnents around the lip of the capped end. Again, put some cement over that. When dry, you strip out the plastic and take an old screwdriver to what remains, enough to make it so you can take the lid off. Cheaper than a keyholder rock.

Yep, one I made from cement and placed in a rock wall eventually fell apart from handling. I think the way to make it stronger would be to make the cement thicker.

Do a google search for tufa and you will get recipes for making fake rock.

Now I have found the perfect stump to make a hollow stump cache hide. I will soon hollow it out and place it in the woods for others to find.

Now I have found the perfect stump to make a hollow stump cache hide. I will soon hollow it out and place it in the woods for others to find.

I did this with a section cut from the middle of an old oak tree. Its about 2 1/2 feet in diameter and 2 feet high. I hollowed out enough of one end with a chain saw to fit a .50 cal ammo box. It is very heavy and it took two of us to carry it to the cache site.

Placed on the ground it looks just like a stump. Some searchers have actually sat down on it and took a break during the hunt not knowing it was a fake. Its in a fairly high traffic area and has lasted over a year.

I have made a few fake rock caches and one thing I can suggest is to add strength by using baling wire. I take the cache container (usually a small round Lock n Lock and wrap it in shop rags using packing tape so that is actually a bit bigger than it really is. I wrap and tape that into a shopping bag and the use baling wire to go randomly around the top and sides of the taped plastic lump. I don't wrap the baling wire too tight but I don't let it get too loose, I try and keep around a 1/4 inch away from the wrapped container so that the rock wall can be thin. I change directions a lot with the baling wire. Once I have the bundle of wire wrapped around the container I make a dryish mixture out of anchor set, not cement (it's very similar to cement though). I pack the dryish anchor set around the container forming the rock, it's almost like working with clay, I wear gloves to do this. I mash planter sand into the surface before it dries. I pack the anchor set all around the wrapped container leaving just the opening at the bottom. The resulting rock is hollow, strong and unbreakable.

I have also made and deployed a couple of fake rocks I made using a tupperware bowl. I didn't use baling wire but just wrapped the cache container in rags and a shopping bag. I made a wettish cement and partially filled the tupperware bowl, then I pushed the wrapped container down into the cement. The resulting rock is more regular but after I knocked off a few pieces with a hammer and glued sand onto to it using Marine Goop it blends in fairly well with other rocks, geocachers have no trouble spotting it. The other rocks can be quite realistic.

Plastic rubbermaid containers (tan ones work best) can be partially melted with a heat gun giving them an irregular appearance, then you can use spray on epoxy and planter sand to add realism to the surface, it blends in pretty well with other rocks and it is easy to make one big enough for an ammo can.

The Groundspeak Store sells fake rocks in several colors and sizes (ok, they did the last time I looked, quite a while back) that are convincing but have a discrete Groundspeak logo on them, making them fun to hide in rock piles but still findable.

eBay has all sorts of fake rocks and evil hides to offer.

As mentioned above, a lot of home stores sell fake rock keyholders, some quite well done.

Google "fake rock".

If you still want to do your own, most any hardware store sells a Masonry Bit for electric drills that will drill all but the hardest rock. For very hard rock have someone hold a water hose on the rock (not on the drill!) while you drill to keep from burning up the bit. Masonry bits are generally not big enough to drill a film-can sized hole, so drill four holes in a 1" square pattern and knock out the center.

Lastly, I have a couple of real rock hides - glue the top of the container to the bottom of the rock (Gorilla Glue, Wal-Mart and sporting goods shops), and that makes them very hard to find! Folks are looking for a rock that appears to be fake and overlook real rocks.

For a really evil micro use a small bison tube glued under a 1" or so flat rock, but the logic can be expanded up to large tupperware attached under rocks folks can hardly move.

Another fun one is a piece of CDX (exterior grade) plywood - glue or screw a container to the underside of a 2' square piece of plywood, spray paint it to match the flora of the area, then glue appropriate grass, leaves and sticks to the top and edges. Lay it over an old stump-hole so the cache hangs beneath and if done right it's almost impossible to see!

Have fun,

Ed

I've just had two geocaches go missing. One was scattered over a swamp.

I was thinking for one if I hollowed out a rock I could hide the container inside a rock. That way to any one who saw it would think nothing of it. Not to metion the container should last for at least a life time.

Any ideas how I hollow out a rock.

Thanks...

Hi

I used a drill press with a cement drill bit on a soft rock. It was stolen recently by a muggler which I thought was odd until I remembered I stole the rock from along the road in Oklahoma. :laughing

You can try this one... dig a small hole (slightly larger than your container ) in your backyard and lightly line the dirt sides and bottom with leaf litter and debris from under the hedges. Fill the hole about half way with a cement mix (you can buy colors to fit your area) and then place your container in the mix and push it down until just the lid is sticking out. Let it dry and the prod it out of the hole. It will be slighly heavier, but will blend very well and can be placed in any low depression in the woods without rocking or tilting about. I haven't tried the bailing wire, but that's a pretty good idea. A small piece of chicken wire would probably work well, too.

Alternately... paint your plain old container with grey primer and roll it around in the dirt while it's still tacky. The little bits of debris help randomize the blending. We actually had trouble finding one of our own caches done this way when we were on a maintenance run and it had been moved a short distance.

These are all great ideas! The area has a kids fort near by so wood is out of the question. I'd love to use it but wood makes excellent material for forts. I'd hate for my cache to be nailed to a tree somewhere.

I also wanted to stay away from the fake or home made rocks. I've already had one cache go missing so I wanted to limit the money and the chances it will get noticed.

Thanks for all the ideas.

"Quote Ironman114

Yep, one I made from cement and placed in a rock wall eventually fell apart from handling it."

That container we made was a good one for my cache. It fooled quite a few cachers for a bit. Got several compilments on it. :D:) GCRNB8

Hope to have the cache up and going again once the construction is finished in that area.

"Quote Ironman114

Now I have found the perfect stump to make a hollow stump cache hide. I will soon hollow it out and place it in the woods for others to find."

Hmmmmm, seems I asked if that was going to be a cache container? Never got a answer from IronMan. Now I know, I guess I did learn something from the forums. :D:D

Edited by IronMaiden