QUESTION: Garmin etrex legend

volsfan78

Its a good unit for geocaching, but with the current Garmin rebate on the X models, you can get an eTrex Venture CX for about $30 more than the Legend and its a way better unit. Color screen, expandible memory, USB connection, autorouting and improved reception are some of the reasons why the Venture CX is better than the Legend.

You can dowload waypoints with either.

Edited by briansnat

Its a good unit for geocaching, but with the current Garmin rebate on the X models, you can get an eTrex Venture CX for about $30 more than the Legend and its a way better unit. Color screen, expandible memory, USB connection, autorouting and improved reception are some of the reasons why the Venture CX is better than the Legend.

:laughing: Whoah - that'd be a great way to go for a first GPS. I love my old Legend, but were I looking to replace for cheap, that'd be mine.

Of course, I want one of those 60CSx thingies I've been hearing so much about. :rolleyes:

I had no problems with my legend either. I now have a Legend C which I find to be quicker and the color is a big bonus. I will have a 60CSx under the tree and from what I hear it is even better.

My suggestion to you is that any of the eTrex models and above are good for Geocaching. I started with an eTrex yellow and found it just fine for Geocaching, I updated to the Legend because I wanted maps, I updated to the Legend C because I wanted autorouting and am updating to the 60CSx because I want the expandable memory, larger screen and the sensors that come with it. I have found that doing this also got me the best model out there without having to lay out all the money at once. I sold each of the other units for a reasonable price and I believe they are all still being used out there. The legend C I bought less than a year ago for $350CDN and am selling it now for $150CDN. Good deal for another Geocaching and helps me finance the new unit I want. Win Win.

Joe

:blink: Whoah - that'd be a great way to go for a first GPS. I love my old Legend, but were I looking to replace for cheap, that'd be mine.

Of course, I want one of those 60CSx thingies I've been hearing so much about. :unsure:

I started caching with the legend. I never had a problem with it, found it to be fairly accurate, and easy to use. Loaded in everything through GSAK without a problem. Had close to 400 finds with it. Only reason I got a new one were; I moved to a new state and wanted the autoroute feature. Yes I did get a 60csx and they are good too, only problem is you need to constintly recalibrate the compass.

I started with an eTrex Legend and still use the same unit (1200 finds). It did not have the cable to download the coords when I bought it and therefore have always manually loaded them. Time consuming but the job gets done. My GPS also now has some flashy duct tape to help hold it together. I know someone that has a Garmin with all the bells and whistles and that is what I will buy when I eventually upgrade. FYI I also use printouts (cutand pasted into word document) versus a Palm for finding caches.