Does this GPSr exist?!

robotman

I'm replacing my SporTrak (since my new computer doesn't have a serial port for it to plug into :anitongue: )

I'm a big Magellan fan. I've done my Magellan research, and although they have all the features I want in a GPSr, they do not have all the features I want in any one model GPSr. :laughing:

So my dream GPS (not considering price) would have these features for geocaching:

+ Uses normal batteries (XL)

+ Decent size screen (XL)

+ Topo map capability (400, 500, 500LE, 600, XL)

+ Has a built in e-compass (600)

Does Garmin (Gasp!) or someone else have a unit that would have all these features?

Thanks.

John

Edited by robotman

I'm replacing my SporTrak (since my new computer doesn't have a serial port for it to plug into :anitongue: )

I'm a big Magellan fan. I've done my Magellan research, and although they have all the features I want in a GPSr, they do not have all the features I want in any one model GPSr. :laughing:

So my dream GPS (not considering price) would have these features for geocaching:

Does Garmin (Gasp!) or someone else have a unit that would have all these features?

Thanks.

John

The easier thing would be to buy a usb to serial adapter. We have a Belkin one that allows us to plug into a usb port and works perfectly. That is unless you are just looking for an excuse to get a new gps. If so get a Garmin 60CSX you won't be sorry.

I know, I know... I'm busted. I was looking for a lame excuse to get a new GPSr, fully knowing all along I could just get a serial -> USB adapter. :anitongue:

So in truth, my old SporTrak is B/W, and I'd to upgrade to color and the e-compass. I thought I'd see what the latest greatest is out there. So much Magellan vs. Garmin stuff. It's hard to sort through it all.

So my basic criteria again:

John

I know, I know... I'm busted. I was looking for a lame excuse to get a new GPSr, fully knowing all along I could just get a serial -> USB adapter. :anitongue:

So in truth, my old SporTrak is B/W, and I'd to upgrade to color and the e-compass. I thought I'd see what the latest greatest is out there. So much Magellan vs. Garmin stuff. It's hard to sort through it all.

So my basic criteria again:

John

My Garmin 60CS does all that, I would love to upgrade to a 60CSx

Yes, I must agree the specs on the Garmin 60CSx look close to what I'm wanting.

So what is the criticism of the 60CSx from the Magellan camp?

Well I'm in the Garmin camp but I can tell you what I don't like about it. The compass is built in such a way that you have to hold the GPS level for it to work. Also it doesn't have as much space for the comments as a Maggie has. But aside from that it is a great GPS.

I hear people say they think the screen on a 60CSx is not very big. The explorist 600 w/battery adapter can run on aaa batteries, has a fairly big screen, and a 3-axis e-compass.

Edited by ossumguywill

The key complaint is the compass is not a 3 axis. You have to hold it level. The other complaint is that they don't manage files like the magellans do. On the other hand it stores 1000 wapoints without mucking with a file. The magellans do 500 regular and less cache waypoints, but you can swap in and out multiple files.