Watching caches

salmondan

I have a cache that is not yet published- went to look at it and see that 1 person is watching this cache. How is that possible? I dropped some TB's in it- and see that if you go look for the TB's you can see that they are in that cache- but from there you still can't see the page.

Just want to make sure someone doesn't have access to an early start. It's an easy find, but still.....

You can look for yourself to see if you can find the page-

called Gus (in Oregon)

Thanks.

It's probably the reviewer. Contrary to popular belief reviewer notes are NOT forwarded to reviewers unless they watchlist the cache.

Actually if you think about it a little, that makes sense - when you first submit the cache and write a reviewer note, who would receive it? many areas have mulitple reviewers.

Once a reviewer has looked at a cache and posted a note or question to it, they often watchlist it so they get the cache owner's response as email, linked to the cache in question. IT looks like that's what happened here.

My guess is that one person is you. They say it isn't, but until I see a cache with nobody watching, and the owner still existing, I'm believing that. :lol:

:mad::):)

Dang, but you would have been fun on that other religion thread. :lol:

It's the reviewer for sure. There are plenty of caches with 0 watchers. The owner already gets an email when there's activity on their cache. :lol:

Thanks- makes sense. Was worried that I messed up by putting the TB's in, as I know there are a few people who want them.

Well, you should know that by dropping the travel bugs into the cache, people can figure out the listed coordinates of the cache. (At least the coordinated listed at the time the bug was dropped) So, someone in your area could have a head start on a "found before published".

That was my original concern when I saw the watch- how does one do that? I tried last night to log in on my husbands account and do that to check- I could see from the TB list that the name of my cache was the location for the TB- but that's as far as I could get.

Not a big deal of course, too much bother to undo, but will make sure not to do that next time.

Thanks.

Well, you should know that by dropping the travel bugs into the cache, people can figure out the listed coordinates of the cache. (At least the coordinated listed at the time the bug was dropped) So, someone in your area could have a head start on a "found before published".

have you ever seen a cache with 0 people watching it?

My guess is that one person is you. They say it isn't, but until I see a cache with nobody watching, and the owner still existing, I'm believing that. :anitongue:

Yep. Many caches have no one watching them - and for good reason! But instead of "0" people watching there is simple no watch designation.

Nope. If you put your own cache on your watch list you will receive two notices each time a log is posted. At least that is what happend in 2002 before I knew I didn't need to "watch" my own caches.

My guess is that one person is you. They say it isn't, but until I see a cache with nobody watching, and the owner still existing, I'm believing that. :laughing:

Here is your proof, nobody is watching this cache (at the moment) and I'm pretty sure I exist.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...81-a6f1a119cd1f

Nope, I just checked, it says 1 user is watching it. :anitongue:

(and it's NOT me)

Nope. If you put your own cache on your watch list you will receive two notices each time a log is posted. At least that is what happend in 2002 before I knew I didn't need to "watch" my own caches.

I just placed my first cache. I wanted to "watch" it so that I could get emails on the activity on the cache. When I tried, an error message was displayed saying I didnt have to watch the cache because "As the owner of a cache, you already watch it." :anitongue:

Yup, I did the same when I went to watch my placed CAA-DE cache, it told me I was already watching it.

No idea who could be watching it, supposedly making it a MOC would show who is watching it? Maybe be able to figure it out from there?

I dont have another cache I can currently make a MOC so I can confirm or deny that.

Yup, I did the same when I went to watch my placed CAA-DE cache, it told me I was already watching it.

No idea who could be watching it, supposedly making it a MOC would show who is watching it? Maybe be able to figure it out from there?

I dont have another cache I can currently make a MOC so I can confirm or deny that.

No, making it an MOC will tell you who's looked at the cache not who has it on their watchlist. And of course thats only the the people that look at the actual page, not the info (like from say a pocket query). Also those that looked at the page before it was a MOC wouldn't show either.

I still haven't seen any of those 0 watchers yet. :anitongue:

anyway, I find it hard to believe a reviewer wants to see every single cache log on every cache in their state/area every day.

I guess it's possible, but jeez how would they manage to read those plus approve the new ones? anyone who's actually a reviewer want to confirm this is what it is? (I'm stubborn, I still don't believe it. :laughing: )

I went and looked at the caches that I own. Out of 32 caches that are still active, 11 of them do not have anyone watching them. But some of the ones with no watchers have been bookmarked by people, so that's essentially the same. A lot of people do not watch caches anymore, they use bookmarks. A cache could have zero watchers, but be bookmarked by dozens of people and no one knows if they are not shared.

anyway, I find it hard to believe a reviewer wants to see every single cache log on every cache in their state/area every day.

I guess it's possible, but jeez how would they manage to read those plus approve the new ones? anyone who's actually a reviewer want to confirm this is what it is? (I'm stubborn, I still don't believe it. :laughing: )

I watchlist every cache that has an issue requiring communication back and forth with the owner prior to publication. I ask them to leave their response to my question right on the cache page as a "note to reviewer," so that the history of the correspondence is associated with the archived logs for the cache. There are many, many other reviewers who do the same thing.

Once the cache is published, practices vary. Some reviewers remove their watchlisting immediately prior to publication. Some watch every single cache until it gets a few logs, just so they know there are not any obvious issues noted by the first to find (or first to not find). Some watch only those caches which the reviewer believes may require follow-up. For example, if I granted an exception to one of the listing guidelines because the cache owner said that the landowner gave permission for it, I may monitor the cache logs to make sure there are no mentions of angry landowners.

My guess is that one person is you. They say it isn't, but until I see a cache with nobody watching, and the owner still existing, I'm believing that. :rolleyes:

Here is your proof, nobody is watching this cache (at the moment) and I'm pretty sure I exist.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...81-a6f1a119cd1f

Nope, I just checked, it says 1 user is watching it. :(

(and it's NOT me)

It may not be you watching, but there are two dorks watching it now. Smartellics! :laughing:

Edited by Airmapper

Thanks- makes sense. Was worried that I messed up by putting the TB's in, as I know there are a few people who want them.

The solution to this? I don't even bother to write one up or drop/log TBs in until it is actually ready anyway, so this hasn't been a problem for me.