Interrogated by the Secret Service

supertbone

What an interesting thread as my family and I are preparing for our vacation in Washington DC next month. We are very much looking forward to touring this city via geocaching and benchmark hunting. While I understand the heightened security, I am still a free citizen visiting public places and will not be deterred from doing something legal.

Uh,change that to ALL caches are ON mil bases.The last thing the boys need to be doing while outside the wire is look for a cache in indian country,and they know that as well.If the Muj saw them messing with a cache,they'd probably wire it for the next finder or post a sniper.Not a good caching experience.

I've looked at most of the caches for Iraq and none that I've read indicate that any of them are outside the wire.I'd be surprised if they did put one outside the wire.VERY surprised.

I don't know about Iraq, but in Afghanistan there are a fair number of caches in and outside military areas. Apparently "the boys" don't feel the same problem there although I keep the idea the "Muj" there are fiercest.

Edited by Torgut

GPS units are supposedly illegal in Belarus, which I live near to, but there are a few geocaches there.

I think any country that, at this point, doesn't have a geocache ...it's cause they're illegal or GPS's are illegal.

ok then what about phones with a build-in GPS units? There are a lot of them. Take the Nokia N95 ofr example. DO you need to check them at the border when you enter Cuba or Belarus? The guards might not even know that those phones have a GPS

Edited by Lennu

GPS units are supposedly illegal in Belarus, which I live near to, but there are a few geocaches there.

I think any country that, at this point, doesn't have a geocache ...it's cause they're illegal or GPS's are illegal.

ok then what about phones with a build-in GPS units? There are a lot of them. Take the Nokia N95 ofr example. DO you need to check them at the border when you enter Cuba or Belarus? The guards might not even know that those phones have a GPS

i don't know about cuba or belarus, but any american entering korea has to hand over their cell phone when they enter the country. they get it back when they leave.

I just spent the last two days on some Homeland Security Counter-Terrorism training. I kept thinking how much our Geocaching behavior matched the profile (I know that is a forbidden term) of terrorists/bad guys. I have a half dozen business cards with explanations of Geocaching in my wallet. The few times I've been asked what I'm doing I explain Geocaching and then tell them that I have a card in my wallet that explains it further. Conveniently the cards are also next to my Sheriff's ID. Two suggestions - maintain eye contact and tell the truth.

I just spent the last two days on some Homeland Security Counter-Terrorism training. I kept thinking how much our Geocaching behavior matched the profile (I know that is a forbidden term) of terrorists/bad guys. I have a half dozen business cards with explanations of Geocaching in my wallet. The few times I've been asked what I'm doing I explain Geocaching and then tell them that I have a card in my wallet that explains it further. Conveniently the cards are also next to my Sheriff's ID. Two suggestions - maintain eye contact and tell the truth.

So staring at his belt line, telling him he reminds you of one of the Village People and writting your phone number on the back of the buisness card would be a bad idea - so noted :lol:

I was in DC doing these same caches last week. I didn't get stopped, but the northern side of teh road was closed all of the sudden.

We all thought maybe Marine One was going to come in soon, but instead the people with the zoom cameras said it was just Michelle coming out to walk to dog.

Go figure. Was quite amusing.