Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brew's Clues

looking for a good mobile rig any advise?

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a mobile rig. I was 100% hooked on the kenwood d700 until I saw the Yaesu 8900 Quad bander. I was impressed that is is cheaper than the d700. No tnc but I think I can wait on that a while. Plus 6 meters.... Why not? What do you guys think?? Truth be told I really don't have much experence in ham radio. I have been a general for about 8 months and have not made a hf contact yet. Help. I am looking for the most bang for my bucks under the price of the d700.

Thanks,

KC9HHG

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a mobile rig. I was 100% hooked on the kenwood d700 until I saw the Yaesu 8900 Quad bander. I was impressed that is is cheaper than the d700. No tnc but I think I can wait on that a while. Plus 6 meters.... Why not? What do you guys think?? Truth be told I really don't have much experence in ham radio. I have been a general for about 8 months and have not made a hf contact yet. Help. I am looking for the most bang for my bucks under the price of the d700.

Thanks,

KC9HHG

It's a nice rig. But I believe the 8800 has wider recieve capability if I'm not mistaken. Dual band is fine for me at this point. I was just looking at them both at HRO in Woodcrest, VA yesterday but must have the wife's approval before I do anything that big. :mad: Know what I mean?

excuse me what is ham radio ive heard of it but dont know what it is

Please see the "What is a HAM radio?" discussion in this forum.

I have a 8900R and i would not take what i gave for it.Great radio quad band and i love the cross band use it a lot to give my portable the power to reach out there.

KF4VDJ

I have a 8900R and i would not take what i gave for it.Great radio quad band and i love the cross band use it a lot to give my portable the power to reach out there.

KF4VDJ

So your happy with it huh? Cool I am looking for the same cross band use for my th-d7g. What doesn't it recieve?? I was hoping to use it as a scanner for local police freqs and our fire freqs (I am a firefighter). So do you think it is a good bang for the bucks?

Once you narrow it down to a few models www.eham.com has reviews of almost anything. Check it out before you make a purchase.

Tencap KE5KWD

Fort Worth, TX

Hi,

For my first mobile rig, I grabbed the Yaesu 7800-R as I didn't need dual reveive, cross-repeat or the quadbander like the 8800 and 8900. I saved some good money and got a solid radio with great audio! I used the difference to put it towards an HT :laughing:

KB1OBG (new ham)

Edited by moonpup