Have You Noticed that People Don't Seem to Notice?

CYBret

I recently found a simple little roadside micro that has been hidden since September and found fourteen times. This one isn't rocket surgery, that's for sure. You barely have to get out of your car and the name pretty much gives away the location.

All that considered, I pulled up and noticed that the coordinates are about 175 feet off (give or take a foot). I made note of this and posted my own coordinates in my log. But amazingly enough, none of the other finders have bothered to post coordinates and only one mentioned that their unit thought the cache was a little further away.

The thing is, I've noticed this several times over the last few months. It seems to happen at a lot of very easy roadside micros. The kind of locations where you say, "Well, duh, it's got to be there" before you even stop the car. I've seen coordinates pretty far off (once even about 400 feet) and yet NO ONE mentions it in their logs or if they do it's just in passing.

Is it just me? Has anyone else noticed this trend? Are we even bothering to use our GPS's any more when we pull up to caches like this?

And most importantly...if this is starting to become the mentality on these "quick n' easy" finds, how soon will it be before someone exploits this trend and hides a very devious cache with a very misleading name and very accurate (but easily overlooked) coordinates?

Hmmmmmm? :laughing:

Bret

Edited by CYBret

Slight thread drift - I have a cache where the hint says "Metalitus Stickitus". It is a evil misleading hint. The reason it is misleading is that about 50 feet or so from where I hid the cache there is a mini pile of metal junk – a very common occurrence in the desert mining country. At any rate people search all this metal and give up. They just presume it is on the metal. If they were to use their GPS they would see that the arrow would lead them to sagebrush in which there is a magnetic keyholder with a small piece of metal stuck to it. BTW - the coords are dead on.

Edited by geospyder

I really haven't noticed anything like that around here. Most of the caches we find show up within about 20-30 feet of the posted coords; some are a lot closer. I can't remember the last time I found one further that that. There's one down the street from my house that I showed up as "zero" or I might still be looking for it, because it was an evil hide!

Most I've seen is about 20 feet off (except one where they deliberately set it off, but didn't mention it at all. We're apparently supposed to "know" that he's known for this type of cache... requiring you to solve an anagram of the cache title to find where to go, despite the fact that it's a traditional, not a puzzle). But yeah... if it's 10 or so feet off, I'll just mention it in passing, and what direction it was off. About 20 or so, I'll post the coordinates that I found for the cache, and give my gps accuracy (+- 5 meters, etc).

But yeah... I've never come across anything more than about 20 feet off (accidentally posted). Maybe in Manitoba the primary cache hiders are just more diligent.

But yeah... if it's 10 or so feet off, I'll just mention it in passing, and what direction it was off. About 20 or so, I'll post the coordinates that I found for the cache, and give my gps accuracy (+- 5 meters, etc).

I roll my eyes when I get a log like that. I consider them to be terribly anal. As if that finder thinks he has some laser perfect GPSr. You'd be surprised how often it happens too.

Given the possible differences between the GPSr hiding and the GPSr finding and adding certain atmospheric conditions anything less than 30 feet or less is not worth mentioning. Especially if you found the cache quickly. :laughing:

Tell me you had a Trimble unit and I'll change my coords to yours. :)

Glad to say that I haven't noticed that trend here except for one hider in particular. Out of 5 of this person's caches that I have hunted, all but one were 100'+ off. I mean absolutely AWFUL coords, and unless you can walk on water a few hundred feet out into the bay, or levitate over mangroves, they are useless. I have helped this person fix them twice, but this hider won't take the time to average, or use a GPS with any accuracy, so someone got the ignore filter put on :laughing:

Edited by Mr. & Mrs. Lighteye

But yeah... if it's 10 or so feet off, I'll just mention it in passing, and what direction it was off. About 20 or so, I'll post the coordinates that I found for the cache, and give my gps accuracy (+- 5 meters, etc).

I roll my eyes when I get a log like that. I consider them to be terribly anal. As if that finder thinks he has some laser perfect GPSr. You'd be surprised how often it happens too.

Given the possible differences between the GPSr hiding and the GPSr finding and adding certain atmospheric conditions anything less than 30 feet or less is not worth mentioning. Especially if you found the cache quickly. :laughing:

Tell me you had a Trimble unit and I'll change my coords to yours. :)

Keep in mind that I go by meters (yay Canada)... hence 10 meters is about 30 or so feet.

Aaaaand I realize that the mistake was mine, as I said 'feet' earlier. Whoops, my bad. Meant meters... not feet :)

Given the possible differences between the GPSr hiding and the GPSr finding and adding certain atmospheric conditions anything less than 30 feet or less is not worth mentioning. Especially if you found the cache quickly. :blink:

Tell me you had a Trimble unit and I'll change my coords to yours. :laughing:

Keep in mind that I go by meters (yay Canada)... hence 10 meters is about 30 or so feet.

Aaaaand I realize that the mistake was mine, as I said 'feet' earlier. Whoops, my bad. Meant meters... not feet :lol:

:):):blink:

Understandable. You can see how it could be irksome when it's feet. :lol:

I placed a cache recently and, because I had accidentally left the handheld at home, broke out and used my Topcon GPS gear (which I use for surveying pipelines-and has sub centimeter accuracy) to generate the coordinates....This thing uses not only the US GPS constellation, but also the Russian GLONASS satellites. It also communicates with a standalone base station with GPS that improves the accuracy 100 fold over an autonomous GRSr. It measures coords to 7 digits after the decimal.

Later, I had someone tell me the coords were 18' off. Give me a break.

I notice, but usually don't say anything about it just to avoid insulting the owner. I will usually leave casual remarks that my GPS didn't lead me to it, instad of accusing someone of not taking the time to get a good reading when they placed it.

It does annoy me a great deal though when it is not in the location the GPS leads me to, and there is no good reason. Once I was led out into a wide open graveyard, and thought "surely it's not on a headstone." Low an behold it's 60-70 feet away in a medium sized tree. A little averaging and it could have been a lot better. This is not annoying me as much since I started largely passing by micros in urban areas. I find people who place a good cache out in the woods, or in an interesting area generally take the time to give some good coordinates.

Whenever I place a cache I use an amplifying antenna, and average readings for a few minutes, at least until I can reliably return from several directions, and get the unit to zero out within 10 or so feet. I say make the hide a challenge, don't make it difficult by giving bad coordinates.

I recently found a simple little roadside micro that has been hidden since September and found fourteen times. This one isn't rocket surgery, that's for sure. You barely have to get out of your car and the name pretty much gives away the location.

All that considered, I pulled up and noticed that the coordinates are about 175 feet off (give or take a foot). I made note of this and posted my own coordinates in my log. But amazingly enough, none of the other finders have bothered to post coordinates and only one mentioned that their unit thought the cache was a little further away.

The thing is, I've noticed this several times over the last few months. It seems to happen at a lot of very easy roadside micros. The kind of locations where you say, "Well, duh, it's got to be there" before you even stop the car. I've seen coordinates pretty far off (once even about 400 feet) and yet NO ONE mentions it in their logs or if they do it's just in passing.

Is it just me? Has anyone else noticed this trend? Are we even bothering to use our GPS's any more when we pull up to caches like this?

And most importantly...if this is starting to become the mentality on these "quick n' easy" finds, how soon will it be before someone exploits this trend and hides a very devious cache with a very misleading name and very accurate (but easily overlooked) coordinates?

Hmmmmmm? :)

Bret

I often post alternate coordinates with my log if the minutes are off by more than +/- 0.003 in latitude or longitude. I just looked at some of the caches where I did this, and it seems I get good feedback from subsequent visitors. I try to do it as a courtesy, and am well aware that some owners will take offense.

Is it anal? Maybe it's my fault for caching in an area with fizzymagic, Marky & Joani, and Workerofwood as local cachers. Maybe I shouldn't expect ANY of my GPSr's to read less than 6' at their caches, and sometimes 0'. (Maybe my GPSr's are cheating! :laughing: )

I notice, but usually don't say anything about it just to avoid insulting the owner.

This "insult" idea is the answer to CYBret's question.

I agree with almost everything in your post, except I do post my coordinates when the listed coordinates are different by 20-25 feet and it isn't pretty obvious where the cache is. I'll post mine if they're more than 15' different and it's a micro in a place described below.

If my coordinates agree within about 25 and its a regular cache or easy to find I don't think less of the owner, and I don't think I have a "laser perfect GPSr." I'm just trying to help future cachers. If, under good conditions, they're different by more than 30 feet, well . . . the owner should try harder -- even if it is Snoogans.

It's no trick at all to make a cache hard to find -- just post bad coordinates.

For some reason it's considered rude to the owner to mention his cache's coordinates are wrong, but it's not inconsiderate of the cacher to screw everyone over with bad coordinates. My top geocaching peeve is micros with a difficulty rating of one that have bad coordinates in an area where it could be in any of a few hundred locations within the circle created by the error. If you're going to post micros like this and give bad coordinates make them a difficulty 3 or more, or say in the description you don't bother trying to get good coordinates, and I'll just pass them by.

Why is it alright to post a cache with bad coordinates that causes others grief, but not alright for others to point this out? I'm serious. Please, somebody tell me why you think this's so.

Edited by Thot

I agree with almost everything in your post, except I do post my coordinates when the listed coordinates are different by 20-25 feet and it isn't pretty obvious where the cache is. I'll post mine if they're more than 15' different and it's a micro in a place described below.

If my coordinates agree within about 25 and its a regular cache or easy to find I don't think less of the owner, and I don't think I have a "laser perfect GPSr." I'm just trying to help future cachers. If, under good conditions, they're different by more than 30 feet, well . . . the owner should try harder -- even if it is Snoogans.

I'm not insulted, just a teeny bit irked when someone tells me my coords are 10 feet off. A 30 foot or less error is pretty common between differing GPS receivers.

I take no less than two 15 minute averages when hiding and three or more if there's time. I take the time to get it right, so yes, I find it terribly anal to mention a 10 foot error as if their GPSr was laser perfect.

Pride in ownership of a NEW GPSr is a wonderful thing and I get this comment most often from noobs who haven't the experience to know about common errors. When it's not a noob it's usually a member of The A.G.C. (Anal Geocachers Club) I just roll my eyes. I don't send 'em a nastygram or anything. :mad:

I check my coords when doing regular maintenance and I often get a 10-15 foot error. Some visits that same cache is dead on. Sometimes the GPSr averages dead on as I'm preparing to leave after I've already taken the time to perform maintenance. I know my GPSr isn't laser perfect, so I don't update the coords every time.

Ever cache in a group? Ever notice the Garminarians and the Magellanites separate before converging on the cache? Usually the Magellanites get there last after taking a scenic 80-100 foot hook. Common errors are not uncommon and are frankly not worth mentioning under 30 feet. IMHO.

Now, if you tell me you found my cache 5 feet off while using a Trimble unit to hunt my cache, I'll change my coords and send you a thankyou note. :)

Edited by Snoogans
A 30 foot or less error is pretty common between differing GPS receivers.

I disagree.

If we're arguing about a 10 foot difference, I agree, that's about as good as it gets.

But, other than exceptional situations, in the southern flat lands of Houston it should be possible to obtain coordinates that can get another cacher at least within 20-25 feet, if one tries. Maybe not in the north or mountain valleys or surrounded by skyscrapers, but in Houston you can see a lot of sky. It may take a little time and effort, but I see that as your obligation if you're going to have others thrashing about hunting your cache.

I'm using the editorial "you" here. I can't remember hunting any of your caches, and I accept your claim to having good coordinates.

Edited by Thot

I can't remember hunting any of your caches, and I accept your claim to having good coordinates.

A hundred years ago, when I first started caching, I used a ancient, 1995, Magellan GPS2000. I was well known for coords that were 100 or more feet off no matter how long I averaged. :) I have a Magellan color now. Folks that hunt my caches with a Magellan will sometimes note how close my coors were to dead on. Garmin users don't find my caches AS dead on.

I have one cache in the Sierras that I've given up on trying to please people on. In this case I blame a trick of the terrain or sumthin'. My GPSr sometimes takes me right to it and sometimes it's 50 feet off at the original coords I posted for it.

There's probably some ancient crashed UFO that utilized a quantum singularity in its drive matrix embeded in the lava rock under that cache. Durned if I know what could cause that kind of anomoly. :):mad:

Edited by Snoogans

I have found that my coordinates are much worse if I use the averaging feature on my Garmin Vista C instead of taking multiple single readings and then manually averaging them. Any thoughts on this? Perhaps I have a crappy averaging unit or perhaps I am not using the averaging feature correctly. To my knowledge you just stand there and let it do its thing...right?

I've kind of found the opposite. A couple of times I have found a cache more or less right where it was posted to be, and then when I went to log a find, noticed that a couple of previous finders (or future finders if I go back and look at an old log of mine) had posted that the coordinates were really off. I don't know if it's the GPS, the area, the weather that day, or what, but I have noticed this a couple of times now.

Edited by Sevilon

A hundred years ago, when I first started caching, I used a ancient, 1995, Magellan GPS2000. I was well known for coords that were 100 or more feet off no matter how long I averaged. :) I have a Magellan color now. Folks that hunt my caches with a Magellan will sometimes note how close my coors were to dead on. Garmin users don't find my caches AS dead on.

I have one cache in the Sierras that I've given up on trying to please people on. In this case I blame a trick of the terrain or sumthin'. My GPSr sometimes takes me right to it and sometimes it's 50 feet off at the original coords I posted for it.

There's probably some ancient crashed UFO that utilized a quantum singularity in its drive matrix embeded in the lava rock under that cache. Durned if I know what could cause that kind of anomoly. :):mad:

You know, if used properly, I've noticed no difference in "spot-on-ness" between a Garmin and a Magellan. Garmins seem to get people closer to the hide location initially, but they still need to stand still and let them settle (and average) in the end, like a Magellan.

Just to complicate matters, I've used a Lowrance, too, and it seems to perform as well as the other two brands.

By the way, thanks for doing 15 minute averages for your hides. :lol: If I see a log saying "the coordinates are 10' off," I consider it a compliment regardless of the motive. :lol:

I usually put my GPSr in my pocket at the 30' mark, and crank up my geosense. On occasion I'll pull out the GPSr after I find the cache just to see how close mine was to theirs. Sometimes it's 5', sometimes it's 35'. Anything less than 50' doesn't merit comment from me. If it's more than 50' away, I'll do the Garmin Coords Averaging Dance and post what I came up with.

Why is it alright to post a cache with bad coordinates that causes others grief, but not alright for others to point this out? I'm serious. Please, somebody tell me why you think this's so.

Could be the same mentality of a parent who thinks her kid is a saint when, in fact, he is a un-holy terror. Or like the pet owner who thinks everybody likes his dog and lets the mutt jump on people.

As for the OP, I haven't noticed that yet. Maybe that's where our DNFs are coming from.

A hundred years ago, when I first started caching, I used a ancient, 1995, Magellan GPS2000. I was well known for coords that were 100 or more feet off no matter how long I averaged. :D I have a Magellan color now. Folks that hunt my caches with a Magellan will sometimes note how close my coors were to dead on. Garmin users don't find my caches AS dead on.

There's probably some ancient crashed UFO that utilized a quantum singularity in its drive matrix embeded in the lava rock under that cache. Durned if I know what could cause that kind of anomoly. :unsure::)

You know, if used properly, I've noticed no difference in "spot-on-ness" between a Garmin and a Magellan. Garmins seem to get people closer to the hide location initially, but they still need to stand still and let them settle (and average) in the end, like a Magellan.

Just to complicate matters, I've used a Lowrance, too, and it seems to perform as well as the other two brands.

By the way, thanks for doing 15 minute averages for your hides. :blink: If I see a log saying "the coordinates are 10' off," I consider it a compliment regardless of the motive. ;)

I've noticed that my Garmin eTrex has a nasty trick of assuming I've carried on moving in the same direction (kind of like momentum). It's particularly fond of doing this when it can see less satellites so often it will appear to track into a tunnel where there is no way it knew where it was. Once you know about this feature it's OK but for the fact that the built-in compass needs movement in order to get direction so I end up having to choose between an accurate location and a pointer which points in the right direction.

I notice, but usually don't say anything about it just to avoid insulting the owner. I will usually leave casual remarks that my GPS didn't lead me to it, instad of accusing someone of not taking the time to get a good reading when they placed it.

I think that's one reason folks don't mention coords that are off ... they consider it some kind of insult to question the posted coords. I don't think it is an insult to post coords different from those the owner posted. There are a lot of ways to get bad coords, with signal reflection being the #1 reason. I appreciate it when folks post their own coords and it helps me find the cache. If my own posted coords were off, I would want to know it. There are some people who are very easily insulted - that's their problem.

Then there are those who contend that "one set of coords is no better than another." That seems to be some kind of misplaced egalitarianism. Even if all men were created equal, it does not follow that all coords are equal.

But another reason folks do not post their own coords is that it may be un-necessary. If the cache coords are 70 feet off but it is an easy find anyway, why bother? What does it accomplish?

I think that's one reason folks don't mention coords that are off ... they consider it some kind of insult to question the posted coords. I don't think it is an insult to post coords different from those the owner posted. There are a lot of ways to get bad coords, with signal reflection being the #1 reason. I appreciate it when folks post their own coords and it helps me find the cache. If my own posted coords were off, I would want to know it. There are some people who are very easily insulted - that's their problem.

Then there are those who contend that "one set of coords is no better than another." That seems to be some kind of misplaced egalitarianism. Even if all men were created equal, it does not follow that all coords are equal.

But another reason folks do not post their own coords is that it may be un-necessary. If the cache coords are 70 feet off but it is an easy find anyway, why bother? What does it accomplish?

Sometimes, caches get "dislocated" so posting alternate coordinates can help not just the next finder, but even the owner. I try to be matter-of-fact about it, realizing that I could also be the victim of the same signal reflection, although there are techniques to minimize that. In any case, if I'm posting alternate coordinates, I'm spending a lot of time at the location, even if I don't own the listing. :unsure:

I'll just announce right now that if I have issues with the cache, I'll mention it in the logs diplomatically. The alternate coordinate I post is not a complaint.

There's probably some ancient crashed UFO that utilized a quantum singularity in its drive matrix embeded in the lava rock under that cache. Durned if I know what could cause that kind of anomoly. :D;)

By the way, thanks for doing 15 minute averages for your hides. :unsure: If I see a log saying "the coordinates are 10' off," I consider it a compliment regardless of the motive. :D

I've noticed that my Garmin eTrex has a nasty trick of assuming I've carried on moving in the same direction (kind of like momentum). It's particularly fond of doing this when it can see less satellites so often it will appear to track into a tunnel where there is no way it knew where it was. Once you know about this feature it's OK but for the fact that the built-in compass needs movement in order to get direction so I end up having to choose between an accurate location and a pointer which points in the right direction.

My eTrex does the same thing. I fix that problem with keeping a compass with me. :blink:

If the cache is a simple drive up and jump out, I may not be long enough to know if the coordinates are off or not.

Depending on tree cover, time of day, and yes even the UFO activity :unsure: , it can take a while for the coordinates to settle out. If it is an easy cache, I have usually found it before that. So for me, I would probably not mention the coordinates being off, unless I had to look long enough to know it wasn't UFO interference.

As for the difference between the Magellan and the Garmin. My brother uses a Garmin, I use a Magellan, we have not seen any real difference in the ability to find caches. They each have their quirks, but when you get used to them, they seem to both find the same caches. I've only been caching since last January, but I do not believe any of my DNFs were because of my Magellan. :blink:

We were the FTF on a cache that had two DNFs. We made three trips in one day and finally located it solely on the revised clues. By the description of the DNF logs we could tell we all had been looking in the same spot.

The cache was close to 200 feet from the posted coordinates. We posted our coor and people started finding the cache.

What did it get us? Our log was deleted and got an email from the owner saying our coordinates had people walking right up to the cache, when then wanted people to hunt a little! DUH

The final straw was when they then used our coordinates in their revised listing.

We couldn't win in this situation!

What did it get us? Our log was deleted and got an email from the owner saying our coordinates had people walking right up to the cache, when then wanted people to hunt a little! DUH

200 feet off that makes an area of 125 thousand square feet to "hunt a little". Why not just post in which state the cache is located?

I would never look for a cache 200 feet away from the posted coordinates, especially if it had a couple of DNF logged before.

GermanSailor

We were the FTF on a cache that had two DNFs. We made three trips in one day and finally located it solely on the revised clues. By the description of the DNF logs we could tell we all had been looking in the same spot.

The cache was close to 200 feet from the posted coordinates. We posted our coor and people started finding the cache.

The final straw was when they then used our coordinates in their revised listing.

The owner should have sent you an email requesting you remove your coordinates first. Courtesy goes a long ways. It's annoying as heck to have a log deleted and not know why or be given the chance to fix the problem the owner was having.

My log on this one, placed by a veteran cacher who knows his coords are off, was deleted three times before I said oh well. By his admission he has deleted over 40 attempted logs, because he says in his description he will delete it if he does not like it!!! And then he logged it with his sock puppet account saying the coords led him within three feet!!!

Six Mile Flat

Per request, the above goes link goes to a members only cache.

Edited by prntr1

My log on this one, placed by a veteran cacher who knows his coords are off, was deleted three times before I said oh well. By his admission he has deleted over 40 attempted logs, because he says in his description he will delete it if he does not like it!!! And then he logged it with his sock puppet account saying the coords led him within three feet!!!

Six Mile Flat

I typically warn people ahead of time if a link goes to a Members Only cache or not. Some people do not want to end up on the audit log.

From the guidelines:

although it is possible to find a cache without a GPS, the option of using accurate GPS coordinates as an integral part of the cache hunt must be demonstrated for all physical cache submissions.

Does anyone really believe this is part of the game? :cry:

Bret

Ive noticed this on occasion, and try to post accurate coords with my logs if that applies.

as for posting accurate coords and misleading names......... I always thought of posting a mystery cache with the correct coords posted and either a fake clue/puzzle, or a puzzle that leads you to a cache that points to the accurate coords listed on the page. :cry: