Jeep hoarders! Can anything be done?

CAESAR657

I was at the Geobash when the GJTBs were given out...I even helped hand them out...So I've seen plenty of them...and I've picked up and moved a few around. I even have 2 GJTBs in my inventory right now, I picked those up a few days ago in caches that I placed...in the same park even!!

One of these days I'll figure out how to post a pic to the forums...I have a nice picture of all thos Jeeps on the table! It was a bit of work sorting through all them and assuring they all had their tags (a lot were out of their boxes when unloaded, tags were SUPPOSED to be affixed...some had already fallen off).

Even though it seems that there are plenty of places that the Jeeps used as the travel bugs are available for purchase, I really don't think that would matter to the hoarders. These aren't the ones that everyone wants. Why? They're not official Jeep bugs. I think that most of the "logic" behind the hoarders' motivation is something to the effect of "I have a lot of what you want, so I MUST be a better cacher than you". I could be completely off base with this line of thinking, but this is the only explanation that really makes sense to me.

I've only ever actually found one green Jeep in a cache. I took my picture for the contest, sent it in and moved it on to another cache. I watch every bug/coin I've helped along its journey, which, to me is more fascinating and fulfilling than putting them on a shelf to look at, or even just keeping them in your cache pack (hard to say what else these "collectors" do with them). I've never even seen a white or yellow Jeep, although I've gone to plenty of caches that supposedly had one in them. Thanks to the hoarders/thieves (whatever you want to call them), I'm really beginning to doubt that I'll ever see one. I wonder if there are gonna be Diabetes hoarders too.

To me, one of the great things about caching is the travel bugs - seeing the creative ideas other people have for them, reading the great stories behind some of them and helping them to reach their goals. What I'd really like to do is return the favor to the hoarders - if I find a travel bug of someone that's had multiple Jeeps for months/years (like the one post I read where someone has 16 green ones or something like that), I'd love nothing more than to just toss it in a drawer and forget about it, but I refuse to stoop to their level.

Sorry to be so long-winded on my first post and hopefully I'm not too far out of bounds here.

Mark

Jeep pigs, ugh!! We recently went to an event here in Nova Scotia and low and behold, 2 jeep TBs were dropped off. We picked up a white one and left the other, we dropped a TB in exchange. I really had to walk away from the Yellow bug :blink: Anyway, we dropped the Jeep TB in a Christmas cache as a special gift to the next cacher. Then we noticed there was a green jeep in a cache we planned on hitting and we were pretty pyched. We got to the cache and noticed someone had picked up the jeep and didn't leave ANYTHING, and he still has it!! AAHH!! What is up with some people?? He didn't cover up the cache at all. We left the TB that we had taken out for a swap anyway and covered up the cache, the cache was really cool. I know there is nothing saying you have to leave something when you take a bug but I couldn't walk away without leaving something to show that I was playing the game.

Oh well, maybe he won't continue to hord the bug and release it soon.

Thats perfectly fine if he picked it up and didnt leave anything, he solely TNLN and is "helping" the travel bug towards it goal whatever it may be. What isnt is that he didnt cover the cache and that he is not moving it.

Jeep pigs, ugh!! We recently went to an event here in Nova Scotia and low and behold, 2 jeep TBs were dropped off. We picked up a white one and left the other, we dropped a TB in exchange. I really had to walk away from the Yellow bug :ph34r: Anyway, we dropped the Jeep TB in a Christmas cache as a special gift to the next cacher. Then we noticed there was a green jeep in a cache we planned on hitting and we were pretty pyched. We got to the cache and noticed someone had picked up the jeep and didn't leave ANYTHING, and he still has it!! AAHH!! What is up with some people?? He didn't cover up the cache at all. We left the TB that we had taken out for a swap anyway and covered up the cache, the cache was really cool. I know there is nothing saying you have to leave something when you take a bug but I couldn't walk away without leaving something to show that I was playing the game.

Oh well, maybe he won't continue to hord the bug and release it soon.

Thats perfectly fine if he picked it up and didnt leave anything, he solely TNLN and is "helping" the travel bug towards it goal whatever it may be. What isnt is that he didnt cover the cache and that he is not moving it.

that Is just plain rude the Cache is not soposed to be that easy to find. is hording TB's of any kind against the TOS ?

I am glad I stumbled across this topic. There is a meet-n-eat event scheduled for this Saturday morning in the Louisville area and a number of people have "dropped" TB's into the event including one fellow who "dropped" several Jeep TB's. Out of curiosity, I looked at the TB page for the Jeeps and he has had them for months and years in some cases. The funny thing was when I read his log when he first kidnapped (found) it, he said he would move it along right away. I don't understand the mentality behind taking something out of circulation that was meant to travel. I have only ever found 1 jeep TB and I photographed it and placed it in another cache right away. I guess there are losers in every sport, eh?