Jeep hoarders! Can anything be done?

CAESAR657

Other than a nice and friendly persuasive email?

No.

You might have a chance with peer pressure but I’ve never really seen these people as the ‘community interactive’ sort of cachers.

Why they like collecting toy jeeps they don't show off to others? Beats the heck outta of me.

(Maybe they like to show them off to non-cachers.

Scary thought eh? :laughing: )

Edited by BlueDeuce

Maybe Groundspeak should sell the same Jeeps. This way, for those who want to collect, they can spend the $1 - $2 and keep it!

Oh, I would love to see the jeeps for sale along with the yellow/white/green icons. Why make them a one time only deal? Why not make a few more bucks from something other than the tags alone?

Wait a minute, they didn't sign a pre-nup with jeep did they? :laughing::)

Edited by BlueDeuce

Maybe Groundspeak should sell the same Jeeps. This way, for those who want to collect, they can spend the $1 - $2 and keep it!

Oh, I would love to see the jeeps for sale along with the yellow/white/green icons. Why make them a one time only deal? Why not make a few more bucks from something other than the tags alone?

Wait a minute, they didn't sign a pre-nup with jeep did they? :laughing::blink:

Yea that would be cool, the people that must keep something can buy one and do so... I don't care for the jeeps, but personally I'd like to buy a Moun10bike v1 coin too :). Course you might need to get approval from the owner and get the orginal maker in on it so you don't tick them off. Do toys and shiney trinket have uh? copywright laws or anything like that??? :)

Well when I have a jeep, either found, or handed to me, I trade them with other cachers to ensure that they keep going and travel. I won't leave them in caches because they get "stolen" or added to collections. I have a white jeep and 2 yellow jeeps in my travel bag right now.

No need to whine about it. The way I received my first jeeps was to attend events with long-time cachers. Someone will give you one, you just have to be in the right place at the right time, be sincere, not whine, and stop threatening to break someones legs.

Well when I have a jeep, either found, or handed to me, I trade them with other cachers to ensure that they keep going and travel. I won't leave them in caches because they get "stolen" or added to collections. I have a white jeep and 2 yellow jeeps in my travel bag right now.

No need to whine about it. The way I received my first jeeps was to attend events with long-time cachers. Someone will give you one, you just have to be in the right place at the right time, be sincere, not whine, and stop threatening to break someones legs.

Ah I see, you consider a Jeep as a personal trading item. You have to be one of your friends to earn it. But, only one of your friends with valuable merchandise can trade with you. Is that correct?

Does this mean it is impossible for a regular cacher, without something to trade, to get a Jeep from your parking lot? Or, do I get your permission to discover the Jeep? Just to compensate my sad feelings. Does your way of dealing with Jeeps imply that you keep Jeeps longer than 2 weeks in your possessions?

To me, you are not better than the Jeep stealers.

Let me explain: You withdraw travel bugs from the international travel bug game. The sophism (dictionary word for a foreigner like me) that you prevent stolen Jeeps by holding them to yourselves is very strange. It is something like; you will not send your child to school to prevent it from learning bad things. Or, you take people hostage to prevent them for possible future car accidents. Your medication is worse than the disease. The Jeeps are not your property. Let’s just pay the game like it was planned. A Jeep is a travel bug, let it travel.

But the initial question was how to deal with Jeep collectors.

I think, when a Jeep is longer than a month or so at a cacher you could send him/her a polite mail.

When there is no answer you could post the link to the Jeep somewhere (here on the forum). So we can all ask the hoarder polite if he/she will participate in our little game.

Perhaps someone might think this publication is too rigorous, but this system works with ordinary travel bugs. Like here and here.

Zilvervloot.

I dont agree with hording the toy jeeps, doesnt matter if its a white or yellow which are no longer part of the jeep contests or a green which is part of a current contest.

The toy jeeps belong to Jeep, just because its a company doesnt mean you, private Joe Citizen, can decide what will or will not happen to the jeep. You dont own it so you cant decide what to do with it or who will take it next, hoarder or not.

If private Joe Citizen releases a toy jeep with a travel bug tag, thats a different story, although I doubt the owner would only want it hand passed on but who knows. I've looked for any toy jeeps in my local area, spanned 50 miles north & south looking in stores so I could release TB'ed private jeeps. No luck yet.

And yes, I realize that my acct is holding a green toy jeep, this past wkend I logged them off to a cache but due to rumors I've heard in my area I didnt drop them on the cache page. Next visitor that logs them will have to grab them from me, along with several geocoins & a TB.

As far as bugging them on the BB, I dont think it will as... a-work as they will ignore you anyways.. b-the thread will probably get shut down by the mods for harrassment.. or c-have a bunch trolls emailing them & get their accts shut down for harrassment.

It all boils down to.. once again Jeep Co owns those toy jeeps, you cant enforce it as you aint the one in charge of them (shrug)

Edited by DiS02
:laughing: I find it very troubling that some folks are Jeep hoarders. I have had the unfortunate misfortune to be the last holder of a white jeep and a green jeep. In both cases, they were removed from the caches I placed them in, without the benefit of a log for either the cache or Jeep. The white jeep has never been seen again, while the green jeep showed up at an event, where several folks 'discovered' it. I see the first behavior at a minimum, a mistake by a one-time cacher that didn't know any better to a outright theft by someone who knew better. The taking and holding a jeep, as in the case of the green jeep, IMO rates close to theft. I've never understood the desire to log items, merely for the granting of an icon on my profile page. Although some folks who bring large groups of hoarded collectibles to events for sharing, may be nice folks, my opinion of them as cachers is deminished.

Ah I see, you consider a Jeep as a personal trading item. You have to be one of your friends to earn it. But, only one of your friends with valuable merchandise can trade with you. Is that correct?

No, that's not what I said. And I'm not going to argue with you about it.

If private Joe Citizen releases a toy jeep with a travel bug tag, thats a different story, although I doubt the owner would only want it hand passed on but who knows. I've looked for any toy jeeps in my local area, spanned 50 miles north & south looking in stores so I could release TB'ed private jeeps. No luck yet.

We found them! WalMart has the EXACT same Jeeps, and we released one as a TB The Imposter

They have them right now in the $5 gift sets in the 'cheap' toy aisle.

CinemaBoxers (interesting name by the way)

I'll have to check that one out, I havent looked in the last couple weeks so havent seen the Holiday stuff.

I can always use the other matchboxes/Hotwheels as swag for lil kiddies that like cars :P

Thanks for the heads up.

Diane

My only question would be,"Why?" it's just a jeep, and more fun to pass it along in my opinion. Although the better you hide them, the more fun it is to watch people seek them I believe.

By far. My favourite part of TB's in general is to keep checking back on all the ones I've either moved or discovered every month or so, and see how far they've gone. I can't even fathom why people like to keep 'em sitting at home. Go buy a set of matchbox jeeps, ya cheap bums :P

Greed is greed. It takes dozens of folks to make a Jeep travel from cache to cache. It takes one to end it.

As the Jeeps don't belong to us (they belong to Jeep), I would defer to them to send an e-mail if they see fit. Something tells me they aren't all that concerned about it.

In the end, some fool has a toy car. There's actually something pathetically amusing about that.

I would defer to them to send an e-mail if they see fit. Something tells me they aren't all that concerned about it

Yeah well, it falls under my "it's the journey so do whatever you want to my bug - NOT" philosophy

Show me where it says to keep a jeep, then I’ll shut up.

In the end, some fool has a toy car. There's actually something pathetically amusing about that.

Yep, you got that right

I would defer to them to send an e-mail if they see fit. Something tells me they aren't all that concerned about it

Yeah well, it falls under my "it's the journey so do whatever you want to my bug - NOT" philosophy

Show me where it says to keep a jeep, then I’ll shut up.

Yep, you got that right

Oh - don't get me wrong. Just because Jeep probably doesn't care do I think it's right to keep a Jeep -- it is WAY wrong. It's just that the owner of the bug normally sends out the request to move it -- and I don't think Jeep is planning on doing this.

My only question would be,"Why?" it's just a jeep, and more fun to pass it along in my opinion. Although the better you hide them, the more fun it is to watch people seek them I believe.

Yes, yes, and yes.

But there are those that are stealing them. And then those that hold them after retrieving them. I ran across a cacher the other day that had old jeeps that he quickly retrieved that traveled less than 50 miles and is sharing them with others. Some might say at least he is sharing, but what is going on? If no one wanted these worthless toys that you can but for less thann $5 this moron would have nothing, but it is wanted so like the PS3 he has something that others want and he enjoys hoarding them.

Shame on him because he will not even reply to emails.

Ok, now I did call him a moron and I have respect for the public at large, but none for ignorant geocachers such as this.

I say good day to you sir,

Gene of GOnTO

So by being the jeep police I won't get the pleasure of finding one in a cache if you have your way huh? Thats so sign0003.gif If it was worth value to sell (geocoins) I could understand i guess. But Jeeps arent sold, just hidden away like some Holy Grail. Ive found 1 yllw, 0 white, and 1 green in caches. Thats 1 year and nearly 400 caches. Would someone please share with me why holding onto them is so fun? I held onto the yllw jeep (I wasn't caching much this summer, I didnt mean to) and it didnt make finding caches any easier, the swag wasnt improved, it didnt get me hot gals....So I released it into a fun cache and the next finder earned a prize find, then they released it....as it should be!

so really...whats up? Trying to be the police in some small way really give that special feeling inside? Well thanks from all us who need protecting. sign0095.gifsign0058.gif

whineandcheese.jpg

Edit: this is directed to all jeep horders, not any single horder. If your a horder, feel free to release the jeeps and your concience. pass the fun along for others as intented, in caches.

Edited by mudsneaker

:laughing: I find it very troubling that some folks are Jeep hoarders. I have had the unfortunate misfortune to be the last holder of a white jeep and a green jeep. In both cases, they were removed from the caches I placed them in, without the benefit of a log for either the cache or Jeep. The white jeep has never been seen again, while the green jeep showed up at an event, where several folks 'discovered' it. I see the first behavior at a minimum, a mistake by a one-time cacher that didn't know any better to a outright theft by someone who knew better. The taking and holding a jeep, as in the case of the green jeep, IMO rates close to theft. I've never understood the desire to log items, merely for the granting of an icon on my profile page. Although some folks who bring large groups of hoarded collectibles to events for sharing, may be nice folks, my opinion of them as cachers is deminished.

I had the same happen with one of the two green jeeps I found. It just disappeared from the cache , no logs. :laughing:

Button Point Cache

The other was retrieved by the next cacher and hasn't moved since. :ph34r:Tioga Peak GJTB

It's kind of a shame as I found both as FTF on a couple of caches in my area and added them to my watchlist when I dropped them hoping to see some interesting travels.

Did you all know that you can purchase a Green Jeep from Loblaws?

8f4e157a-5b73-4255-bf13-8d740a77c7c8.jpg

The exact same model comes in a box set or cars and trucks for the holidays, a few cachers here in Quebec have already made the purchase and made them into ordinary TBs, they are quite confusing.

This is Not a Real" Green Jeep Travel Bug

TB11Y24

e8e23ab8-27e4-4889-81e4-e1a4b2040fa4.jpg

You mean to say these Jeeps actually exist? :) Seriously though, seems like they are awefully scarce (I am in SE Wisconsin, near Milwaukee). I sort of expected that one would occassionally pop up, and then it would be a matter of who gets there first. That would actually be kinda fun. My suspicion is that people aren't hanging on to them in order to keep, but rather they want to save them for a special cache or event they are working on. Days pays, weeks pass, months pass, (I pass, new deal) and that special cache falls through, or nobody "worthy" shows up at the event. And the Jeep collects dust. Like the real things, these Jeeps aren't icons carved out of soap. Get 'em out, get 'em dirty! The rest of us just wanna play!

Edited since all of the info I posted about the jeeps being available to purchase was already here...once I finished the thread! :(

So, I'll add this bit of info...

I checked the OP's profile, and looked at what jeeps that account had logged. One of those jeeps ended up being grabbed by this user here.

This user has 6 green jeeps and 2 white jeeps that never got back into circulation...that's really a shame for everyone else. One other white jeep they logged is still in circulation, but I didn't check, it could have just been a "discovery" at an event...

Edited by Cornerstone4

Yes, there is something that can be done. Ignore them. Don't vote for the pictures. Don't waste your time chasing down "phantom" Jeeps. Don't "ooh" and "aah" when someone brings them out at an event to be "discovered".

Personally, I have found going for the Diabetes TB's a whole lot more rewarding. I got one in the mail a couple of days after signing up, dropped it off, and it is already on the move. Found a second in a cache yesterday. Now this is more like it!

Granted there are something like 6x as many Diabetes TB's as there are Green Jeep TB's. Still, the Diabetes TB program has only been going two weeks --a lot of folks haven't even gotten them in the mail yet -- and yet somehow they have begun to circulate. And every time they change hands, some one else has the opportunity to find out about the program and sign the petition, and maybe, just maybe, some good dets done.

Not sure what Daimler Chrysler gets out of the Jeep project anymore -- far more die-cast green Jeeps will be purchased at Stuff Mart than the real thing -- and isn't the whole point of this exercise to help Chrysler to sell Jeeps? Too bad. The possibility that someone would hoard Jeeps just to reduce competition in the photo contest seems too pathetic.

Now, to take my own medicine. This is my last post on this matter!

Not sure what Daimler Chrysler gets out of the Jeep project anymore -- far more die-cast green Jeeps will be purchased at Stuff Mart than the real thing -- and isn't the whole point of this exercise to help Chrysler to sell Jeeps? Too bad. The possibility that someone would hoard Jeeps just to reduce competition in the photo contest seems too pathetic.

Probably, but considering people can pick out that JEEP (maybe even what mode of JEEP is it) in the whole box of cars means JEEP brand JEEPS are in your mind. And the more time we spend talking about the JEEP travel bugs, and the JEEP contest, and the JEEP hoarders, and the last time we seen a JEEP, and all the JEEP related chater then the more likely the next time you go to buy a truck or suv maybe you'll consider a JEEP. (At least my thinking on it)

Jeep pigs, ugh!! We recently went to an event here in Nova Scotia and low and behold, 2 jeep TBs were dropped off. We picked up a white one and left the other, we dropped a TB in exchange. I really had to walk away from the Yellow bug :D Anyway, we dropped the Jeep TB in a Christmas cache as a special gift to the next cacher. Then we noticed there was a green jeep in a cache we planned on hitting and we were pretty pyched. We got to the cache and noticed someone had picked up the jeep and didn't leave ANYTHING, and he still has it!! AAHH!! What is up with some people?? He didn't cover up the cache at all. We left the TB that we had taken out for a swap anyway and covered up the cache, the cache was really cool. I know there is nothing saying you have to leave something when you take a bug but I couldn't walk away without leaving something to show that I was playing the game.

Oh well, maybe he won't continue to hord the bug and release it soon.

I know I'm late to the game to have any meaningful contribution to this thread, but might as well say it anyway...

I got into Geocaching shortly after the Yellow jeep contest ended, I never saw ANY of them. The contest ended, I still never saw any.

- The next summer, the White jeep contest started up! I watched the caches in my area, saw a couple show up on cache pages, but were LONG gone by the time I got there. Contest over, still haven't seen a white either.

- Now, we have Green jeep, and I've got the suspicion that I'll NEVER get to see one of those...

It's a Jeep, they're MENT to go out, have fun, and get muddy and banged up in their enviroment (geocaches or offroad) A Jeep will never be happy being cooped up in a non-outdoor setting. Plus it's a travel bug, let them travel! It's not like there's a setting on their page for "being hoarded by a geocacher"

Anyway, I was wondering if anybody knew who made the White or Yellow jeep, or where it's available. If I'm never going to get the chance to see a *REAL* Jeep TB, might as well order one of my own and maybe make a traveler clone.