Garmin eTrex Problem

Backup

I have a Garmin eTrex Vista C that was purchased just over a year ago. Over the last few months the band of rubber (sounds better than "rubberband") that encircles the unit has been working loose (the glue is loosing its adhesion). In particular, during warmer days it becomes very loose. The problem is that this band also integrates the Power, Quit, Menu, and two zoom buttons. These buttons are positioned via the band and when the band slides out of place the buttons follow. At this point it requires two hands to complete a selection.

I contacted Garmin and they are repairing it under warranty (I sent it 2 weeks ago). The questions is:

- Are other eTrex units experiencing the same failure (can I expect this to happen again after repairs) or was mine a unique situation?

I contacted Garmin and they are repairing it under warranty (I sent it 2 weeks ago). The questions is:

- Are other eTrex units experiencing the same failure (can I expect this to happen again after repairs) or was mine a unique situation?

I had a legendC that had the same issue. that one got replaced, the new one has only been used a few times in the last 6months & the new one is already showing signs of loose rubber. I don't even use the legendC very often because I also own a 60cx.

It's a pretty common problem with eTrex units. Because of this Garmin will usually fix it even out of warranty.

From what I've observed it seems to be caused by exposing your unit to high heat. It happened several times to my eTrex units, but once I stopped leaving my unit in a hot car in the summer I never had a recurrence.

There are also some threads here where people have fixed the problem theirselves. It seems some adhesives work better than others though.

Edited by briansnat

That band is a good thing as it's saved my eTrex Vista in countless times it's been thrown off my bike.

But the rubber got a bit ripped and became a little bit loose, especially where it'd ripped, after more than two years of hard wear. It ripped first where I'd lifted the flap for connecting the serial port. I had it fixed under Garmin's like-new repair for around $100. But I had other issues like a scratched and chipped screen, sticky buttons, and intermittent power off from a loose connection. So I figured it was time for a "refresh" anyway. For $100, I got my money's worth for two years of hard abuse.

I have an eTREX Legend C and have the same problem with the rubber coming loose around the top of the unit where the buttons and USB port are located. I believe it did this because I left it on my dashboard in the bright sun. I didn't think that Garmin would fix it under warranty, but perhaps I will try if they have repaired it for others.

Having sent the unit back to Garmin, they eventually sent me a replacement unit (don't know if it is new or re-built) and I'm happy for now. On the previous unit the band started working loose at about 10 months under fairly heavy use on the trails. I'm more than happy with Garmin's response, but, I'm still a bit worried about the unit lasting only a year (I generally don't replace items just because a newer model is out, especially items costing in the hundreds of dollars).

I've had my eTrex Legend for 5 years or so, and have had no problems with it, other than the screen being cracked from my wife sitting on it. Can't really blame Garmin for that. I put some clear packing tape over it and it works fine. The rubber on the side is still holding tight, even though it normally stays in the truck even in the summer in southeast Texas.

I have the same problem with my etrex GPSr.

But this is not the worst problem. At one time, running after a tram, the etrex felt out of my pocket. After that, the lower part of the display, does not work properly anymore. In the first time, only a few mm (3/10") showed this failure. Unfortunately, with the time the area is getting larger, right know approx. 1/10 of the display is broken.

Does any one encountered the same problem, and does anyone know how much the repair will cost?

I'm considering to replace the etrex with an simple GPS 60 units. Is it worth to invest more money for a slightly better receiver, than to repair the old one.

Thanks

for the help

Stefan

If it were mine, I would take it apart and see if there is a loose connection. It's not mine, though, so I can't recommend that unless you're comfortable with doing this sort of work. Whether another unit would be better for you is another thing you have to decide. I prefer a standalone unit like the eTrex or a higher-end unit, not something that requires another device to display the information. That's a subjective judgement, though.

I have a Garmin eTrex Vista C that was purchased just over a year ago. Over the last few months the band of rubber (sounds better than "rubberband") that encircles the unit has been working loose (the glue is loosing its adhesion). In particular, during warmer days it becomes very loose. The problem is that this band also integrates the Power, Quit, Menu, and two zoom buttons. These buttons are positioned via the band and when the band slides out of place the buttons follow. At this point it requires two hands to complete a selection.

Here it is only 7 months later and even though Garmin sent me a brand new unit, it too now has the band working loose when the temperture goes up. For now, it still maintains position to keep the buttons working, but that is how it went with the previsous unit.

Hoping for the best but I'll have to deal with it probably sooner than later.